Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Click button sound..

Click button sound..
Drew
Sep 11, 2007, 11:02 PM

I have a 3 week old macbook, and lately the trackpad button has been making this click noise whenever pressed. It kind of sounds like a really cheap plastic mouse or teeth clicking together or nail clippers or something, and it's really annoying! If i press the button, I hear the clicky noise, then the real mouse cick. Is this a common problem? Is there a fix for this? There is no apple store within a 500 km radius of me, so apple store genius bar isn't an option.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2007, 12:14 AM

Have you thought about wearing earplugs?

*ducks*

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Sep 12, 2007, 01:31 AM

I hear a kind scratchy sound with my trackpad, but it's no big deal to me.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

Drew  (op)
Sep 12, 2007, 10:53 PM

This isn't coming from the trackpad, it's the trackpad click button. and it's really startingto get on my nerves!

Drew  (op)
Sep 13, 2007, 11:44 PM

BUMP, this is REALLY annoying!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2007, 11:48 PM

I'm not sure what sort of fix you are thinking of here outside of replacing the part. Would you feel comfortable doing this yourself? Do you have access to Apple Service manuals? If not, I'm not sure what sort of advice you are looking for here?

KidKit
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2007, 01:44 PM

You're not alone. The "metallic click" before the actual button click has afflicted several users on the apple forum and in an old post here. I think its the spring mechanism that is loosening, you can see the very thin metal tines if you remove the battery and look underneath the trackpad.

People have reported the trussing up the rubber "button" under the trackpad by placing a small piece of folded paper between the button and the battery solves the issue. I fixed mine by gently pressing down both ends of the trackpad button, I guess it somehow flexes the metal tines back to shape. ymmv
mavafyipdq

wake266
Sep 15, 2007, 02:26 PM

fold up a piece of paper, take out the battery. Then stick the paper beneath the trackpad, and put the battery back on. This fixed it for me.

Drew  (op)
Sep 15, 2007, 04:34 PM

After a few configurations of how the paper was folded;where it was, the click went back to it's normal sound! Thank you!

nickw311
Senior User
Sep 18, 2007, 09:49 AM

I used to have the same problem but I just got my MB back from repair after they replaced the palm rest/keyboard and trackpad - no more. Call AppleCare and have them take care of it... Although you will probably have to argue and hassle with them for a while. Their phone people are terrible IMO.
27" iMac C2D

Forum Links
Forum Rules