Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Can't Connect to New Internet Service

Can't Connect to New Internet Service
TribeLeader
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2010, 05:16 PM

I'm switching from Verizon DSL to Atlantic Broadband cable (hanging onto Verizon, which I'm using now, till I know the other is reliable). Atlantic Broadband was installed this afternoon but we didn't check it before the technician left (he connected it to my Time Capsule and said it should work; I was busy watching two kids 3-and-under!). Should've checked, I know!

But I haven't been able to connect to the Internet and I've done all I can think of. I've tried connecting the cable modem directly to my MacBook Pro. I've restarted Time Capsule. I called tech supported and they rebooted it on their end. Still no go. They're sending a tech in 2 days but I thought I'd ask here in the meantime.

Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2010, 05:48 PM

The problems is either related to your local WiFi network provided by Time Capsule, or with your internet connection itself provided by Atlantic. Changes are its the latter, but I would suggest determining this for certain by connecting your Mac directly to the cable modem.

It may be that the cable modem's MAC address needs to be registered by Atlantic, so when you do connect directly to the cable modem take note of what IP address you are provided. Do you know how to do that?

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2010, 10:25 PM

Thanks. When I connected my Mac directly to the cable modem, I got the message (in Network preference) that Ethernet has a self-assigned IP address and will not connect to the internet. I did take note of the IP address but don't know what to do next. :-)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2010, 10:33 PM

Well, a self-assigned IP address means that a connection to the Atlantic servers was unable to be established. The problem could be account/billing related, the physical connection to your house, etc.

I don't think there is much we can do without an Atlantic guy. You could try two other things, but this is sort of grasping at straws:

- a new ethernet cable
- try another computer attached to the cable modem

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2010, 12:17 AM

You could also call the Atlantic guy to get his butt over and test it before leaving.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2010, 12:22 AM

Thanks for the help. Second computer didn't work either. Also, I should've mentioned before that the technician checked the incoming signal before he left (just didn't check to see if I could actually connect with my computer). The only thing I haven't tried is a new ethernet cable, but I am using the same cable for the DSL service, which is working.

Fortunately, I still have my DSL connection so it's not too urgent (except I don't want to pay for two services longer than I have to).

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 8, 2010, 07:33 AM

DSL typically uses a PPPoE connection protocol, while cable uses no connection at all-it just runs. Does your router still think it needs to log into the DSL modem? Trying that will definitely keep it from connecting to the cable modem. The router needs to be set to "obtain IP address automatically" or "IP from DHCP" or something like that (depends on your router).

It's also important to connect the cable modem properly and in the correct order. Turn the router off, turn the cable modem off, and wait 60 seconds. Now turn on the ROUTER first, wait 60 seconds, and then turn on the cable modem and wait. Cable modems often need a reset whenever the device that connects to them changes, which could also keep you from properly connecting.

I look forward to seeing if either of these steps helps you out.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2010, 11:40 AM

Thanks for those suggestions. I'll try them when I get back home in a few hours.

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2010, 02:56 PM

Unfortunately, still no success. Router connects to internet using DHCP. And turning everything off and back on as described above didn't work.

Out of curiosity, there's no need to shutdown/restart my computer is there? I ask because when I called tech support yesterday, the tech person asked me to shut it down and turn off/on the router and computer. I didn't shutdown the computer because I didn't want to (too many apps/pages open). Thought I'd ask in case the technician wants to shut it down tomorrow when he comes.

Apparently, the signal is getting to the modem; I'm just not able to connect to it.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 9, 2010, 07:45 AM

Turning off the computer could help. It depends on your exact hardware, and how everything is connected. For example, was it your modem or your computer that performed the PPPoE authentication? (I.e. did your computer provide the user name/password? That's in the Network Prefs pane, and will show up as a PPPoE connection.) But as you have not named what router you have, nor the DSL and cable modems involved, I could only suggest that turning off the computer (not just rebooting) "couldn't hurt."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2010, 11:27 AM

I'm using Apple's Time Capsule for my router. In Network preferences, it's using DHCP (if I'm understanding correctly; that's what I see under TCP/IP).

But I have noticed a couple things (don't know if they matter or not): Under the Proxies tab (in my AirPort settings in Network preferences) there's a line starting "*.local 169..." in the textbox labeled "Bypass proxy settings for these Hosts & Domains."

Also, on the DNS tab, there are two lines of numbers under DNS Servers and an address under Search Domans (myhome.westell.com; Westell is the brand of the DSL modem). They're grayed so I don't know if I can do anything with them (if I need to).

Thanks!

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2010, 01:17 PM

Ha! I was looking at my Time Capsule manual and saw that the ethernet cable was supposed to be connected the WAN input. When I looked at the Time Capsule, the cable was in one of the 3 ethernet inputs which *works* for the DSL connection. When I changed it to the WAN input and followed the turning off/turning on steps above, it works now!

I called Atlantic Broadband to cancel 30 minutes (up to 4.5 hours) before their scheduled afternoon visit to cancel. Good thing I did; they had already put a service fee for the visit on my account. The customer service person said there actually two service charges on my account and he waived both.

I *think* one may have been the installation charge for the new service (a couple days ago) so it looks like I might have ended up with free installation. :-)

Thanks for all of your help!

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2010, 02:05 PM

Now the amber light on my Time Capsule is flashing. AirPort Utility notes the problems: "DNS Servers" (no DNS addresses) and "Internet Connection" (AirPort wireless device does not have a valid IP address). Trying to resolve; I have restarted the modem, Time Capsule, and my Mac., but still not working yet.
( Last edited by TribeLeader; Dec 9, 2010 at 07:41 PM. )

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2010, 07:44 PM

Ok, this seems to be fixed now. I restarted everything (modem, router, and computer). That didn't work. I made a change in the "manual setup" of the Time Capsule (in the "Internet" tab, I selected "share a public IP address") then restarted modem and router. That did it.

batdan_no1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2011, 01:07 PM

Hi,

This is the only message I could find on the internet linked to my problem.

Let me start off by saying I know nothing about computers. Any help will be truly appreciated.

I have a MacPro Dual-Core Intel Xeon using Mac OS X 10.6.5 Snow Leopard. I used to have internet access using a dongel as the connection for the router is downstairs and as I am in rented accommodation I couldn't re-wire. I started getting kernel panics when using the internet connection extensively Streaming music and browsing), which I assume is due to the dongel not handling the amount of traffic. Someone in a Mac workshop said that MacPros are not built to use wireless internet as they are usually connected directly due to their size and lack of mobility.

I have just bought a 'bridging' device which uses mains wiring to connect to the router

devolo dLAN 200 AVeasy (HomePlug AV) Starter Kit - Eth/ Eth: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

I installed it and the connection to the router was recognised, yet when I went to System Preferences to connect I get the error message seen above, the status is 'Connected' yet "Ethernet 1 is has a self-assigned IP address and will not connect to the internet" message is given. I have also tried to connect using the PPPoE server yet after trying to connect another error message occurs saying "Could not connect to PPPoE server".

My housemate used the same system and had wired up his Sonor music system, and my iPhone is connecting to the net so I know the problem isn't with the router.

I do not know any of the acronyms used so please reply with an idiots guide instructions if possible.

Thanks,

Danny

Forum Links
Forum Rules