Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Boot Camp and MacBook Air

Boot Camp and MacBook Air
nemanirc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2008, 10:42 PM

I saw that the MacBook Air lets you gain access to optical media installed on other computers wirelessly. How does this work if you are running Windows in Boot Camp?
R. C. Nemanick, Ph.D.
PBG4 12" 867MHz 640 MB RAM
PMG3 500MHz 1 GB RAM

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2008, 11:46 PM

SMB/CIFS AKA Windows File and Printer Sharing

Sharing optical drives across the network is nothing special; I've been doing it for years. It won't be as automatic as it is in OS X, but you just share it like any other networked drive.

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Jan 16, 2008, 12:11 AM

there won't really be a way to install windows. as far as i know, the windows installer CDs don't support booting from an external/shared drive

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2008, 12:28 AM

Oops. Never mind.

ibookuser2
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2008, 12:30 AM

With regard to installing Windows, you could do the installation on a regular MacBook, then copy the partition over. Not exactly easy, but not incredibly difficult for someone who knows how partitions work. Of course, this is presuming that Apple includes the BIOS compatibility module required for Boot Camp in the MacBook Air firmware.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2008, 01:00 AM

It would be nice if there was some way that we could install Windows. There's only 2 programs I'd like to run.

FozzieUK
Jan 16, 2008, 03:14 AM

Wouldn't the external superdrive let you install windows?

todddixon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2008, 04:49 AM

@FozzieUK

I guess the point is if Steve wants us to be wireless and the Superdrive is only an option then we need to be able to do everything that we could have otherwise done with cables. This includes booting from an XP/Vista install CD/DVD and load it up into Bootcamp. I would like a definitive answer to this myself. Can it be done...

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2008, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by todddixon View Post
@FozzieUK

I guess the point is if Steve wants us to be wireless

And to have a second really well wired PC to make this wireless world possible

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2008, 07:08 AM

The MacBook Air is *obviously* not intended as a primary or sole machine.

BkueKanoodle
Senior User
Jan 16, 2008, 12:04 PM

Windows does support doing an install from a usb drive. I believe you do need to be using at least SP2 to work, but you need that to work with boot camp too.
15" Macbook Pro 1.83 2 GB RAM
Blackbook 13.3 Powerhouse 2 GB RAM
MacMini Dual Core 2 GB RAM (Sadly running Windows Most of the time)
Numerouse Workstations running windows and Linux. Sorry don't have the specs, I don't pay much attention to them anymore. :)

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2008, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by BkueKanoodle View Post
Windows does support doing an install from a usb drive. I believe you do need to be using at least SP2 to work, but you need that to work with boot camp too.
That would be great. I have 2 maybe 3 programs in Windows that I need to run. It has bluetooth, so I can run a bluetooth mouse.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2008, 03:00 AM

How much disk space will bootcamp and WindowsXP take up? It just occurred to me, that with an 80GB HD, it might not leave much space left over.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2008, 03:05 AM

Does anyone know if you can install bootcamp, Windows XP and other Windows programs on an external USB Hard drive like this:

LaCie - Little Disk, Design by Sam Hecht - Hi-Speed USB 2.0

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2008, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
Does anyone know if you can install bootcamp, Windows XP and other Windows programs on an external USB Hard drive like this:

LaCie - Little Disk, Design by Sam Hecht - Hi-Speed USB 2.0
http://forums.macnn.com/alternative-operating-systems/

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 17, 2008, 09:57 AM

This issue is problematic. Unless a drive is "native", the Windows installer won't see it after the first reboot, so you lose your install source and the installation fails. Aside from the fact that the 80GB drive is a bit cramped for sharing between two OSs, no native optical drive will make installing Windows on the Air very challenging. I'm sure it will be figured out, but I'm not sure it will be either practical or even doable for most users.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2008, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
How much disk space will bootcamp and WindowsXP take up? It just occurred to me, that with an 80GB HD, it might not leave much space left over.
Windows XP takes a couple gigs; with nlite you can get it very very slim. BootCamp doesn't really take much space.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2008, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
This issue is problematic. Unless a drive is "native", the Windows installer won't see it after the first reboot, so you lose your install source and the installation fails. Aside from the fact that the 80GB drive is a bit cramped for sharing between two OSs, no native optical drive will make installing Windows on the Air very challenging. I'm sure it will be figured out, but I'm not sure it will be either practical or even doable for most users.
Do you think this is true? Don't think the (optional) external drive will work to install Windows?

I'll have to cancel my order if Boot Camp isn't supported on the MacBook Air. While Parallels is OK for many things, but I will absolutely need native Window support (or at least until Parallels support two displays like Windows does natively). I don't need a big Windows partition (8GB is plenty), but I do require Windows dual-display (internal + external) support for two specific apps I require for work.

Man, I really hope the MBA doesn't have Boot Camp compatibility issues. It would be a surprising and disappointing step backwards.

MactotheMax
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2008, 02:25 AM

Well it certainly appears from the Apple website that the MBA will support Boot Camp. And if its supporting Boot Camp, there must be a way to install windows on a MBA since that is the sole reason for Boot Camps presence (alternate operating systems)

See here: Apple - MacBook Air - Mac OS X + iLife

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 21, 2008, 03:22 PM

Not necessarily. By using existing MB components, the device can be "Boot Camp Compatible" without providing any effective way to install Windows. It's tricky-maybe it will, but I don't know how, not yet anyway.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2008, 06:25 PM

I don't understand. AFAIK, other PCs support external USB optical drive booting, and you can install Windows from them. I would be very surprised if the MacBook Air were any different.

I guess the main problem here is installing it without the USB drive, but if you REALLY need Bootcamp you may have to shell out that extra $99.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2008, 06:57 PM

I agree with Eug. I don't see the problem installing from an external drive. It's a problem installing to an external drive but not from.

Also, the MBA supports wireless booting from a shared disc. I'd imagine that if it can do it with an OS X disc, it can do it with a Windows disc.
Vandelay Industries

Forum Links
Forum Rules