Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How to edit a DVD

How to edit a DVD
aehaas
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2009, 09:58 PM

I moved some old VHS tapes onto a DVD and it plays OK in the DVD Player. The only files on the DVD disc is a folder called VIDEO_TS with many files inside that seem to match chapters in the separate VHS tapes.

I do not seem to be able to move anything into iMovie or IDVD by any drag or import method. What am I missing?

aehaas
MBP 3.06 8G RAM 500G HD, 8 core 3.0 8G RAM 8800GT all OEM Apple. Where to buy Polarion HID Searchlights
Home Inspection, whole house approach, Sarasota Home Inspections, we are your investigators.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 8, 2009, 10:15 PM

I'm assuming you must have used some sort of VCR/DVD recorder to copy the VHS tapes directly to DVD, right?

You'll need to import the DVD into a editable file using a program such as Handbrake. Once you "rip" the DVD to your computer, you can import that file into iMovie and edit it.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2009, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by aehaas View Post
I moved some old VHS tapes onto a DVD and it plays OK in the DVD Player.
How did you do that?

iMovie can't edit DVDs and neither can iDVD. You need to convert the contents of the DVD into something iMovie takes - like MP4 - using something like Handbrake.

aehaas  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2009, 10:49 PM

I did buy a VCR / DVD player / recorder that can dub in any direction. Plus play old VHS tapes if needed. Meanwhile I have a DVD that cannot be copied in to any other Apply program. It seems as though one should be able to do this. Now I need another program to get the DVD into the computer??

If possible I want to add titles to the different sections and indexes. Possibly mix and match some events onto a different final DVD recording. Or maybe I am in need of another, more professional program.

aehaas
MBP 3.06 8G RAM 500G HD, 8 core 3.0 8G RAM 8800GT all OEM Apple. Where to buy Polarion HID Searchlights
Home Inspection, whole house approach, Sarasota Home Inspections, we are your investigators.

aehaas  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2009, 11:30 PM

OK, I used Handbrake and imported a section by clicking on the Quicktime file type and an MP4 file was created. When I clicked on it, the file was recorded automatically into iTunes and I can import it to iDVD but not iMovie nor can the import under the file menu be used in either case. I am trying to gather a few together, edit them, possibly clean the video up and then burn to a disc. What program would do this?

aehaas

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2009, 11:48 PM

Simply change the filename extension from .m4v to .mp4 and iMovie can import the video.

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2009, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
completely off subject, but Tetenal, your signature had me go crazy, i thought my eyes were going nuts, and then i got a headache from eye strain............awsome siggy lol
MPB 2.8GHz, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD
2TB Raid 1 setup, Wacom 12x19, 24" ACD, Bose SS
FCS 2, Shake, Adobe CS4, Lightroom > Aperture

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2009, 02:10 AM

I too use a DVD recorder, and there is a way to edit .VOB MPEG2 DVD files directly. You don't have to use Handbrake, but you do need a special QuickTime component and something like MPEG Streamclip. PM me if you need the explanation.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2009, 02:41 AM

It only took me around an hour of intensive Google searching recently to find all the answers to the original question, that's all.

And all the info I needed about Handbrake, Streamclip, QT MPEG_2 etc

http://www.google.com/custom?num=50&...%3Aeizsrb-eis2

However, I do think it is a tremendous failing of Apple to not be able to just import DVD's to DV (or .m4v etc) to iMovie.
( Last edited by MacNNUK; Feb 9, 2009 at 08:36 AM. )

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

ibook_steve
Feb 9, 2009, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by MacNNUK View Post
However, I do think it is a tremendous failing of Apple to not be able to just import DVD's to DV (or .m4v etc) to iMovie.
Are you kidding? If they did, Apple would be allowing DVD piracy in their OS with their own apps. Not going to happen.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2009, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Are you kidding? If they did, Apple would be allowing DVD piracy in their OS with their own apps. Not going to happen.

Steve
Don't see why, as it s far easier to do a straight duplicate using Apple (and PC) equipment already !

I would think most commercial DVD's have some sort of ID to show as such, whether it's DRM or other rights issues, of course DVD's recorded off air would not have this, but I think for previously recorded home made DVD's off camera tapes this should be feasible. (Archived DVD's)

After all, we are allowed to record onto DVD for personal use Off Air TV, so why not edit useful bits for personal use, ie a visit to a Country in a travel programme.

Anyone doing commercial recording and distribution is going to be found out and prosecuted whatever the platform used.

It's just a bit of a pain using Formac Studio, or software such as HandBrake, and other means to import DVD's into the iMac.

A simple insert of DVD into iMac, straight high speed digital transfer of selected chapters or sequences would be so useful, even if limited to say 15mins per recording.
( Last edited by MacNNUK; Feb 9, 2009 at 12:48 PM. )

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 9, 2009, 05:41 PM

Basically, what people don't understand is that the DVD was designed to be strictly a distribution format, NOT as a source for editing. This is deliberate. Because of this, it's a huge pain in the patoot to get the video back into an editable form.

This is why I never recommend DVD camcorders to anyone.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2009, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Not if they only supported unencrypted disks.

aehaas  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2009, 08:07 AM

I did this:

"for import of 'homebrewn' DVD, in iM08/09 no additional software needed.. just a 'workaround' using MacOs Utitlities...:
watch my screencast
http://web.mac.com/akschluter/HowTo/...t_to_iM08.html

disclaimer: I may profit from linking to my page.. "

from here:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....972960#8972960

As soon as I put the files into the new disc image as demonstrated above, iMovie opened up and imported the whole DVD into the program. Neat.

aehaas

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2009, 08:33 AM

Wow, cool!

Who'd have thought all it takes is to copy the video_ts folder to a new disk image for iMovie 08+ to identify it as a camera...

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 10, 2009, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by aehaas View Post
I did this:

"for import of 'homebrewn' DVD, in iM08/09 no additional software needed.. just a 'workaround' using MacOs Utitlities...:
watch my screencast
http://web.mac.com/akschluter/HowTo/...t_to_iM08.html

disclaimer: I may profit from linking to my page.. "

from here:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....972960#8972960

As soon as I put the files into the new disc image as demonstrated above, iMovie opened up and imported the whole DVD into the program. Neat.

aehaas
I've seen a similar workaround before, but this one appears to work (ish)

Recorded some off air material onto a dvd .....

Off dvd aspect ratio (4:3) is correct, within iMovie timeline it's ok, within main viewer it's not.

Appears to be 16:9 vertically, with top and bottom cut off, until I fit, then it's 4:3 vertically but top and bottom ok !

ie Tall and Thin.

I'll have a play with it.

( Last edited by MacNNUK; Feb 10, 2009 at 10:04 PM. )

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 10, 2009, 10:03 PM

Copied a freebie commercial cartoon dvd, aspects a bit wierd in timeline, but ok when a new project imported the video.

Go figure !

I'm wondering if it's because I use DVD+RW for my record tests, and the commercial dvd is not RW and would have been finalised ... more tests
( Last edited by MacNNUK; Feb 11, 2009 at 11:39 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules