Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac G5 hard drive that is quiet and cool

iMac G5 hard drive that is quiet and cool
nickw311
Senior User
Jul 13, 2009, 12:43 PM

I recently bought a 17" 1.8 G5 (no iSight) iMac on craigslist and thus far like it a lot EXCEPT for the one problem that it is LOUD.

I want to replace the standard 80 gig HD with a larger one and in doing this, is there any particular model that I should look at or look for that is (a) quiet, and (b) runs cooler so as to not make the CPU fan spin any faster?

Edit: this model takes a 3.5" SATA HD.
27" iMac C2D

zerostar
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2009, 04:26 PM

if you want 500GB I would vote for this drive....
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
1 Platter of 500GB goodness! Puts this drive just as fast as my Western Digital Black drive!! (if not faster)
Lower power consumption keeps this drive quiet and cool!

Otherwise if you want bigger... I always recommend the 1TB Western Digital Black (What I run at home and work). If you REALLY want cool in leiu of speed get the Western Digital Green series (very low power and quiet drives)

macfix
Jul 14, 2009, 12:36 AM

I second that Seagate, and also agree about the WD Black.

P
Jul 14, 2009, 05:14 PM

I doubt that replacing the HD will decrease the noise significantly - those iMacs have loud fans, more than anything - but if you're interested in cool and quiet parts, I recommend this site.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules