Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone 1G/2G & T-Mobile in USA: Cheapest way?

iPhone 1G/2G & T-Mobile in USA: Cheapest way?
Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2009, 05:20 PM

Are they any USA users with an unlocked iPhone 1G using T-Mobile or AT&T and getting internet over EDGE? I have had my iPhone 1G for 20 months, but my company is forcing me to use their phone (I cannot put the SIM in my iphone anymore), so I am looking for a way to continue to use my iPhone.

I will set the T-Mobile work phone to forwarding and get or transfer a new number to the iPhone. Since I can only use T-mobile or AT&T, I am looking for the best way to get internet over EDGE (for email, not browsing).

To save money, I will be dropping Vonage at home (going all wireless). That will free up $20 a month (yes, I am being cheap. Wife isn't working and I just got a 10% pay cut).

I normally use about 400-500 minutes a month, total, nights, weekends, everything.

I'd love to get an iPhone 3GS, but the price is just too high.

So is is possible to do what I want to do? It seems everyone wants to sell me a new phone, but I want to use my iPhone. Should I be looking at signing a contract and just unlocking and selling the phone it comes with? Should I drop in a store and work with one of those idiots? Should I just get pay as you go? pre-pay? Suck it?

Any help appreciated!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

macfix
Jul 14, 2009, 01:00 AM

You should check into AT&T's plans also. With a jailbroken, unlocked iphone, you could simply use it as a phone and not pay for the data package.

Eriamjh  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2009, 06:51 AM

It seems that the lowest monthly bill for either AT&T or T-Mobile is $39.99. It just goes up from there. It is also nearly impossible to shop online because they all want you to buy a phone.

Eriamjh  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2009, 08:52 PM

Sometimes it takes a kick in the pants to move your butt.

While I could have gone with T-Mobile with the old phone, since I have done well in my home sandblasting and powdercoating business (side jobs, not full time), I decided to bend over and purchase a full-blown legit iPhone: 32GB black 3GS with a 2-year contract.

I am now up to date. My music collection almost fits (30.01GB).

macfix
Jul 16, 2009, 09:20 PM

Congrats!
I hope you'll be happy with your decision.

Eriamjh  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2009, 10:15 PM

I gave the old iPhone 1G to my wife, who can use it as an iPod touch. If she can get out of her Sprint contract soon, I'll add her to AT&T on a family plan and we'll both be happier.

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Jul 17, 2009, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by macfix View Post
Congrats!
I hope you'll be happy with your decision.
I wonder. My wife and I are big fans of T-Mobile (and $6/month T-MobileWeb EDGE internet access) and hate AT&T (what a bureaucracy intent on getting every cent from you!), but getting an AT&T family plan is a way for us to get a subsidized-price 3GS ... I gave her my original iPhone and got a 3GS for $200, we are in our 30 day trial period, and the 3G speed is nice, but as my wife says, we're already in front of our computers all day with wired ethernet and Wi-fi; it's not as if we travel that much. The AT&T family plan with EDGE and 3G data costs us about $35/month more than T-Mobile, which isn't pocket change over the life of a 2 year contract. My alternative is to buy someone's officially unlocked 3G on Craig's List for $350 (the 3GS is too expensive at over $500) and go back to T-Mobile.

Can anyone weigh in here?

Eriamjh  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2009, 07:20 PM

I just sold my iPhone 1G/2G 8GB for $180 cash.

While I was out making a delivery at one location, I headed to deliver the iPhone to a paying customer who later told me he couldn't come up with the last $30. I called the next person who had called before I committed to selling and he was just down the road. At least, I didn't know until he told me where and the GPS calculated my position and the route to the new location and told me how long it would take.

15 minutes later I had my cash and he had his phone. (Teenagers appear to buy and sell these phones like Pokemon cards!)

Needless to say, I love "being connected" at all times on my own plan. I could never do that on the old phone.

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Jul 19, 2009, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
Needless to say, I love "being connected" at all times on my own plan. I could never do that on the old phone.
You mean 3G on AT&T? Does your visual voicemail work consistently?

Eriamjh  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2009, 09:31 PM

3G, yup. On the road. The GPS was useful on another trip and saved us a couple of extra miles to get back onto a freeway and helped us find a way around when we missed a turn.

I am transferring a number and so I cannot receive calls yet so they do not go to voicemail. I will know as soon as it is complete. I will update when I try it.

Eriamjh  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2009, 06:18 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules