Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac arrived - what to do first?

iMac arrived - what to do first?
HamSandwich
Mar 13, 2014, 08:43 AM

Hey fans,

my parents actually did order a new iMac, 21.5", the model with Nvidia graphics. Apple says it shipped, should be here therefore today or tomorrow. I need to do some exams preparation, so I don't know about free time.

What to do first? Buy SimCity 2013, install Photoshop, Office etc.? Configure everything? Solem admiration?

Bye!
Pete
( Last edited by HamSandwich; Mar 13, 2014 at 02:54 PM. )

reader50
Administrator
Mar 13, 2014, 12:11 PM

It appears humor is in the eye of the beholder.
( Last edited by reader50; Mar 13, 2014 at 03:20 PM. )

andi*pandi
Mar 13, 2014, 04:46 PM

1) take the apple sticker out of the box and put on a) your car; b) any non-apple device you can find.

2) Hand setup instructions to parents and study.

3) Enjoy!

HamSandwich
Mar 13, 2014, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2014, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
WTF was that edit about ?

I liked the original.

-t

HamSandwich
Mar 14, 2014, 04:40 AM

Ah...

I may have slightly overreacted. I am so sensitive when it comes to buying new things. I feel this shiuld be treated with care, happiness and joy.

It didn't come anyway, although Apple wrote quickly they shipped it. So it's 9:30 AM now and I'm sitting in my bed, prepared my room, even had an extraordinary breakfast this morning. Maybe I post an unpacking video to YouTube as there is none yet...

Pete

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2014, 07:56 AM

I'm confused.

The premise of this thread, its execution, the editing, and the follow up.

They confuse me.

HamSandwich
Mar 14, 2014, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I'm confused.

The premise of this thread, its execution, the editing, and the follow up.

They confuse me.
That is quite understandable. Anything logical has yet to happen.

HamSandwich
Mar 14, 2014, 11:05 AM

No, seriously... It did arrive a few hours ago, I didn't create an unpacking video and started setting up things. So now I can accept suggestions of what to do first when a new iMac arrived, see. It could start making sense tomorrow. Maybe.

I had to look around for a while. I redid a few things here... I'm still a student, but I had an old MacBook Air for many years and it started to be unsettling, really. I bought an iPad 4 with my parents a year ago (long story) and I also used this when I had to carry around anything. So... I have some money left as I still do some work and my parents moved a while ago - and as it comes with moving, suddenly somehow, there is an openness, if this is English, to change a few things. They even bought LED lights for the kitchen (you know, above the oven and everything, were sorta expensive and are really great, even dimmable). So they could buy new Macs, too, at a point, as their iMacs (2007) are coming of age, too. My mum and I bought new cameras, but we start being unhappy. I chose Sony ones, 200 Euros, for the design, slimness and quality was really okay, I thought other point-and-shoot cameras were maybe a bit better, but the real difference was so small it didn't matter at all, and my parents are usually happy with anything Sony.

So now I negotiated and bought this iMac and I have to see where it takes me. I want to do some programming, some private video editing, some image editing and I thought I could take a look at Aperture. I studied photography for a few years before I switched my courses of study and I think I want a new camera, but I have to think this through first, my parents might finally get iPhones... And they want their iPad back and I started to get used to it. I don't know if I really want an iPhone, I still find the feeling to carry around so much money in your pocket so unsettling (sorry, 1 billion people, never mind). I also ordered a Playstation 4 several weeks ago and it could arrive next week, at least I already have a new controller and a game.

So, I reordered things a bit, helped my parents choosing new things and made the experience you could really throw up things a bit if you cared, like my parents getting a new color laser printer from HP they really find extraordinary (got lets of help from here, too). So, a new iPad mini maybe, a new camera, finally switching away from Photoshop Elements to real Photoshop perhaps, let's see.

Btw, I tried taking a photo with my iPad and quality was really not so good, I zoomed in a bit. Is this the best quality !? Never tried taking lots of photos with it.

I know I didn't contribute so much to the quality of non-confusion here, but doing my best to getting this new iMac done well, it really makes me happy! Ordered some pizza with it, too. Sort of. And new flowers. Mum also sent cookies.

Greetings,
Pete

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2014, 04:47 AM

So what I took from that long post was

"Private video editing"
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 15, 2014, 11:25 AM

Pete started a Blog at 'NN.

-t

auto_immune
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2014, 02:51 PM

Sounds like some peeps woke up on the wrong side of the bed!

andi*pandi
Mar 17, 2014, 11:30 AM

what you've got here is a bunch of threads. In design or apps, you can ask about aperture/photography apps, in devices/lounge you'd get lots of camera talk.

For the imac, just start using it!

( While your folks are in a spendy mood, get them to spring for a refurb ipad for you! )

HamSandwich
Mar 17, 2014, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
( While your folks are in a spendy mood, get them to spring for a refurb ipad for you! )
Not bad, not bad ...

Forum Links
Forum Rules