Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Photo/Image Editor Needed

Photo/Image Editor Needed
sanford
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2006, 02:04 PM

I need an image editor, an alternative to Photoshop, that is Intel Mac-ready, as in universal binary. I want to be able to apply filters and effects like Photoshop, do those sorts of things, although it doesn't have to be quite as professional-studio ready as Photoshop.

No GIMP. I don't want any GIMP or GIMP-related suggestions because I don't want to install X11. If there is a Cocoa native version of GIMP that would be fine. But no X11!

It can be freeware, shareware, or commercial product, I don't care -- just needs to be universal biinary, reasonably powerful with effects and filters, and no X11 or XDarwin.

red rocket
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2006, 08:05 AM

Seashore 0.1.8p3 - MacUpdate
GraphicConverter X 5.9.3 - MacUpdate
Pixen 3.0 - MacUpdate
PhotoLine 32 13.02 - MacUpdate

iMaginator 3.0 - MacUpdate
LiveQuartz Image Editor 1.6.3 - MacUpdate
ChocoFlop 0.51 - MacUpdate
Image Tricks 2.3.3 - MacUpdate

Out of the first four, PhotoLine comes closest to Photoshop, but the user interface is terrible to the point of confusion. I'd use a combination of the other three apps to make up for their individual shortcomings.

The last four are all based on Core Image, I haven't tested any of those.

sanford  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2006, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by red rocket View Post
Out of the first four, PhotoLine comes closest to Photoshop, but the user interface is terrible to the point of confusion. I'd use a combination of the other three apps to make up for their individual shortcomings.

The last four are all based on Core Image, I haven't tested any of those.
You know I came to about the same conclusion by downloading demos that between Seashore, GraphicsConverter and in rare cases Pixen, I'd have all I need. Photoline is cool in that it reaches high, but it was so confusing to use I just gave up after a few minutes of trying to work with it. My needs may be simpler than requiring even Photoline, too.

I figured the Core Image group might be a little too not ready for prime-time; I don't want to pick up hassles just to get a few things done. If I wanted to do that, I'd install X11 and use GIMP, or, gads, go back to using Photoshop under Rosetta.

Thanks for thorough, helpful answer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules