Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook is breaking down

Macbook is breaking down
jamiemcf
Apr 23, 2007, 06:18 PM

I've had my Macbook since July of 2006 and now it seems to be falling apart. First it is running slower than when I first got it, crashing more and the fans seems to come on more despite I upped the memory by 1Gb and the hard drive to 160gb. Secondly it won't mount .dmg's, external hard drives or CDs/DVDs. I reinstalled OS X, complete reinstall, but that didn't fix it. SO I started reinstalling stuff back from my external hard drive where I'd backed everything up to and it started mounting .dmg's and my drives for a while but now it has stopped again. I put in a DVD to see if that was working again and it didn't recognise it (it didn't appear on desktop or in finder sidebar) and now when I push eject it won't come out. So I think I'm gonna take it along to my local Apple Reseller Store thing tomorrow but when I was on the phone to the Support guy earlier he said it sounded like a software problem and that wasn't covered under the 1 year warranty. It sounds like hardware to me, I reinstalled OS X which should've fixed it if it was software right?

dadsgravy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2007, 10:52 PM

It's software. More user than software. if it is hardware it's either the ram or the hard drive. Are you running windows or any third party programs? What is connected to your mackbook? How much room is left on your internal hard drive? Do you have the latest software updates? Have you ran disk utility?
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but chances are that your hardware is just fine. It's something you're doing. I'm more then happy to help you though.

mfbernstein
Senior User
Apr 23, 2007, 11:37 PM

Sounds like a couple of unconnected issues. DVD is likely a hardware problem. Being generally slow and crashing sounds symptomatic of bad RAM. You have tried booting in single-user mode and running memtest (or removing the memory you added)? Finally, the dmg issue could be hardware, but it could also be software. Fan has nothing to do with the memory, but could be symptomatic of a bad temperature sensor. Try the built-in Apple Hardware Test (hold down D on bootup).

jamiemcf  (op)
Apr 24, 2007, 05:40 AM

I had Vista installed via Bootcamp but I deleted and then reinstalled OS X again. The only thing connected to my Macbook is a USB cable running to my USB Hub which has 2 flash drives and 2 external hard drives attached to it. My ethernet port is used for my internet access. I have the latest software updates yes. I ran disk utility and it said nothing needed fixed. I have almost 100GB free space. How do I know if the RAM is working properly? I went to the About This Mac> More Info bit but it just says it is there.

mfbernstein
Senior User
Apr 24, 2007, 07:35 AM

As pointed out earlier. use memtest to test the RAM. Download. Reboot into single-user mode (option s on bootup). Run the memtest program from the shell.

Macola
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2007, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by mfbernstein View Post
As pointed out earlier. use memtest to test the RAM. Download. Reboot into single-user mode (Command s on bootup). Run the memtest program from the shell.
fixed
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Forum Links
Forum Rules