Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > is imac as bad as my first impressions are?

is imac as bad as my first impressions are?
edythegolfer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2007, 04:30 PM

just bought the top of the range imac,24 inch,2.8 extreme,looks amazing,but after one day of frustration,im almost sending it back.
i have moved away from home,and use a computer mainly to chat to friends all over the world,so use msn messenger,aol and yahoo.
i-cam dosnt work on msn,fair enough can cope with that,but on yahoo,cam comes on,but looks out of focus.cant for the life of me find any mention of bringing it into focus,or zooming in or out,or up and down ect.can it be done manually?
also,when i am in a yahoo or msn chat,the list of contacts dissapears,so how do you get it back to check whos online ect?only way i can find so far is to close an open conversation,then when you click back o the icon,it takes you back to your main list,bust be easier way to do that.
i want so much to like it,but struggling so far,anf suggestions to this apple virgin greatly appreciated,as i hat windows,but maybe better the devil you know.thanks

Cold Warrior
Dec 21, 2007, 04:38 PM

Sorry, but I'm having a hard time taking your post seriously.

edythegolfer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2007, 04:40 PM

why?
because youve used apple are your days and know every bit,you superior prick

Cold Warrior
Dec 21, 2007, 04:56 PM

Because your written English is incomprehensible, like a spammer.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 21, 2007, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by edythegolfer View Post
why?
That was uncalled for.

But i'll try and help, because I'm nice.

I have no idea about the iSight, so no help there.

To bring windows in and out of focus, use Expose. I'm sure the keyboard layouts have changed now, but it used to be mapped to F9, F10 and F11. It will be in the Expose preferences and you'll be able to change it.
There's CMD + TAB for switching between apps and CMD+~ for switching between windows in the active app.

paul_edmo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2007, 05:33 PM

to view your contact list for msn if you have a message window open

click cmd and L. that brings up your personal contacts window

it is annoying that the iSight cam cant be used in Messenger:Mac, i hav to switch to the windows partition.

oh wel, maybe next year mr gates please
HI

iMan G5
Dec 21, 2007, 06:36 PM

MSN massager for mac is dead. I suggest using Adium but if you need video use aMSN. You can't change the settings on the iSight.(I am pretty sure)

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 21, 2007, 06:49 PM

Your post IS very difficult to read-paragraphs, capitalization, and punctuation are very helpful in this regard. Being rude to someone who actually offers assistance is not very nice of you, and it's certainly not going to get you a lot more help. And this issue is NOT about your iMac, it's about chatting on MSN. There's nothing wrong with your iMac that is keeping you from video chatting. It's that MSN doesn't do what you want. There are other, MSN-compatible chat clients that DO work, such as Adium. And Yahoo Instant Messenger is the culprit in your lack of focus, not the iMac. You can prove that to yourself by simply using Photo Booth.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2007, 07:11 PM

The camera has no focus, zoom, or pan controls.

ibook_steve
Dec 21, 2007, 08:02 PM

And wanting to return a top-of-the-line machine because you are having problems with video chat through something that has "Microsoft" in its name doesn't make much sense. Use iChat or Adium. You'll be much happier.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Dec 22, 2007, 02:10 AM

I see no reason for you to send back your iMac based on the above problems you have.
It is a brilliant machine and can do more than instant messaging if you let it. Here are my suggestions for your video chat problem.
1) You can still use MSN by downloading the open source application "aMSN". It should have support for the iSight camera built into your iMac.
2) Yahoo! has improved support for Mac OS X Leopard and it supports video conferencing. You can download the current version here: Yahoo! Messenger - Chat, Instant message, SMS, PC Calls and More
3) The video quality of your iSight depends on the connection speed and correct lighting. You will not need to pan or zoom if you sit in front of the computer. If you need those options than you can search third party sites for a solution.

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Dec 22, 2007, 02:13 AM

Here is an additional link for the third party software. It appears to only work in iChat AV. iSight applications

JKT
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2007, 11:39 AM

It's my understanding that Mercury Messenger is better (or easier to set-up at least) than aMSN for video chatting with MSN users, but I don't use either app so can't say for sure.

JKT
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2007, 11:41 AM

Another app I haven't used but might be useful is iGlasses (for changing focus, etc.). However, this one is shareware.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2007, 12:24 PM

why?
That will get you lot's of help. LOL
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

kramer3380
Dec 23, 2007, 05:58 PM

i use adium instead of aim to chat with friends. if you want to use your web cam yahoo works the best for me.

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Dec 24, 2007, 07:44 PM

I looked at the Mercury Messenger earlier but I did not mention it because the audio/video conference is still under development.

redhawk9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2008, 10:47 PM

Like the guy that started the thread, I have a 24" IMAC, 3G ram, broadband connection, etc.. I have noticed since setting up my new computer, that there are a LOT of things that irritate me about this thing and video chat is one of them. As I learn more and more, I find that MANY of my programs and peripherals I have and use on a steady basis, don't work on the mac. I've found it more difficult to get downloaded programs (ICQ for example) to work on the mac; my lable printer (DYMO LABLEWRITER) doesn't communicate with the mac; my default chat program (YAHOO messenger) doesn't allow me to switch between screen names (I have 3, wife has 2...). The wife plays online games and the games she play comes out very small and in our advancing years, we find small type/game boards harder to see. We're about to dowgrade this one to reserve status, when out tower computer gets back from the shop, because of the problems we have experienced.

If anyone has REASONABLE suggestions on why some of the programs/peripherals don't wrk on this thing, I'd like to hear them.

ibook_steve
Jan 8, 2008, 11:22 PM

ICQ: I didn't know people still used that. What problems are you having?

Dymo: Have you downloaded and installed the latest drivers:

https://global.dymo.com:443/enUS/RNW...hp&p_faqid=101

Yahoo messenger: I don't use it so somebody else should be able to help.

Small games: Can you provide a link to problem game?

These really aren't huge problems. With a bit more info, all these can be solved by myself or others on the boards.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

redhawk9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2008, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
ICQ: I didn't know people still used that. What problems are you having?

Dymo: Have you downloaded and installed the latest drivers:

https://global.dymo.com:443/enUS/RNW...hp&p_faqid=101

Yahoo messenger: I don't use it so somebody else should be able to help.

Small games: Can you provide a link to problem game?

These really aren't huge problems. With a bit more info, all these can be solved by myself or others on the boards.

Steve
DYMO: yes, I have downloaded the current driver, but there is no communications between my IMAC and my DYMO, but it communicates quite well with my laptop.
Games: POGO.COM. Wife plays backgammon and a couple other games and that is her link to a couple of her friends.
MYSPACE MESSENGER: isn't available for MAC (neice in Italy with the Air Force and nephew in Iraq with the Marines).

You are correct-these aren't MAJOR problems in the grands scheme of things, but all are significant in their own right

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 9, 2008, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by redhawk9 View Post
You didn't mention what your problem is.
DYMO: yes, I have downloaded the current driver, but there is no communications between my IMAC and my DYMO, but it communicates quite well with my laptop.
We use Dymo label printers at work (attached to an iMac, even). No idea why yours won't work, our works fine. When you say "no communications" what exactly do you mean? Does your iMac see it when you're in the Print & Fax preference pane?
Games: POGO.COM. Wife plays backgammon and a couple other games and that is her link to a couple of her friends.
You can 1) decrease your resolution (System Preferences -> Displays) or 2) check out the zoom options in the Universal Access portion of System Preferences.
MYSPACE MESSENGER: isn't available for MAC (neice in Italy with the Air Force and nephew in Iraq with the Marines).
It appears that Myspace Messenger includes Skype support. Just download Skype.

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2008, 03:54 AM

redhawk9's experience reminds me of the experience of many switchers I know. They know how to use Windows (xp/2000 most often) relatively well and also know what programs they like to use in windows. The hardest part of the transition is learning the Mac ecosystem of software. Similarly though, the Mac only users I know can't get a windows box to do half things they can do on there Mac.
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2008, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by redhawk9 View Post
ICQ is owned by AOL and now shares the AIM network. It works quite well via iChat.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 9, 2008, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
ICQ is owned by AOL and now shares the AIM network. It works quite well via iChat.
For clarification, are you stating that you can use iChat to communicate with ICQ users? That's not mentioned in iChat's help... If so, do you just add the ICQ ID like an AIM buddy?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

plunker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2008, 05:03 PM

The guy was rude but I understand the frustration not being able to correct stuff and having to humble myself to my son and others on these forums. Learning how to search is a process.

iMan G5
Jan 9, 2008, 06:24 PM

Use Adium for myspace im.Works fine for me.
iMac G5 1.9Ghz 2.5GB RAM 160 GB HD 17" widescreen + external regular 17

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2008, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
For clarification, are you stating that you can use iChat to communicate with ICQ users? That's not mentioned in iChat's help... If so, do you just add the ICQ ID like an AIM buddy?
Yep.

Haven't tried it in a while, but I do have one buddy who's one ICQ whom I used to chat with fairly often a while ago. File transfer was flaky, but generally worked.

RimmerDal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2008, 03:01 AM

My brother was on the forum this past week, trying to find information on how to get his new IMAC working in a compatable way-he's a died in the wool windows user. He was asking about how to get video chat working and a few other problems he is encountering.

When he went to reply to a posting, he got a warnig on the page that he was banned from the forum, no reason was given and that he was banned forever. When he tried to find out via e-mailing the administrator, his e-mail was bounced back that the admin mailbox was over quota.

If he can't get information from more experienced users without getting banned, what good is seeking the information???

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2008, 12:45 PM

If that was redhawk:

That was an error (a moderator mistook him for a spammer), and he has since been unbanned.

RimmerDal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2008, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
If that was redhawk:

That was an error (a moderator mistook him for a spammer), and he has since been unbanned.
It was

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2008, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by redhawk9
...I've found it more difficult to get downloaded programs (ICQ for example) to work on the mac... my default chat program (YAHOO messenger) doesn't allow me to switch between screen names (I have 3, wife has 2...)... ICQ: between me and an elderly friend in Israel... MYSPACE MESSENGER: isn't available for MAC (neice in Italy with the Air Force and nephew in Iraq with the Marines).
ICQ hasn't been updated in three and a half years but even ignoring that, you will find it much easier to use Adium instead of all these different chat clients. With it you can sign in to all three of your Yahoo! accounts and your MySpace account and your ICQ account, all at the same time, no switching back and forth required.

Adium Download

The wife plays online games and the games she play comes out very small and in our advancing years, we find small type/game boards harder to see... Games: POGO.COM. Wife plays backgammon and a couple other games and that is her link to a couple of her friends.
The main reason I can think for this being the case is that your iMac's screen's pixel density is just over 94 pixels per inch, where your old computer maybe had a something lower (eg - a 17" screen at 800x600 would be ~59ppi, at 1024x768 would be ~75ppi, so things would appear beween 160% to 125% times larger, respectively)...

All of which might be interesting, but how to overcome it without resorting to AKcrab's advice of decreasing your screen resolution (blurry) or using the Universal Access zoom feature (useful for brief periods, but not ideal for extended gameplay)? Both you and your wife would probably quite like Opera, as it can zoom everything that is on a page, flash games included, rather than just the text as most other browsers do.

Opera at 100%:

Opera at 150%:

Opera Download

We're about to dowgrade this one to reserve status, when out tower computer gets back from the shop, because of the problems we have experienced... You are correct-these aren't MAJOR problems in the grands scheme of things, but all are significant in their own right
Hopefully these two suggestions will convince you to try the iMac a little while longer.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2008, 12:33 AM

just bought the top of the range imac,24 inch,2.8 extreme,looks amazing,but after one day of frustration,im almost sending it back.
i have moved away from home,and use a computer mainly to chat to friends all over the world,so use msn messenger,aol and yahoo.
i-cam dosnt work on msn,fair enough can cope with that,but on yahoo,cam comes on,but looks out of focus.cant for the life of me find any mention of bringing it into focus,or zooming in or out,or up and down ect.can it be done manually?
also,when i am in a yahoo or msn chat,the list of contacts dissapears,so how do you get it back to check whos online ect?only way i can find so far is to close an open conversation,then when you click back o the icon,it takes you back to your main list,bust be easier way to do that.
i want so much to like it,but struggling so far,anf suggestions to this apple virgin greatly appreciated,as i hat windows,but maybe better the devil you know.thanks
Does your computer have a shift key

RimmerDal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2008, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by megasad View Post
ICQ hasn't been updated in three and a half years but even ignoring that, you will find it much easier to use Adium instead of all these different chat clients. With it you can sign in to all three of your Yahoo! accounts and your MySpace account and your ICQ account, all at the same time, no switching back and forth required.

Adium Download

The main reason I can think for this being the case is that your iMac's screen's pixel density is just over 94 pixels per inch, where your old computer maybe had a something lower (eg - a 17" screen at 800x600 would be ~59ppi, at 1024x768 would be ~75ppi, so things would appear beween 160% to 125% times larger, respectively)...

All of which might be interesting, but how to overcome it without resorting to AKcrab's advice of decreasing your screen resolution (blurry) or using the Universal Access zoom feature (useful for brief periods, but not ideal for extended gameplay)? Both you and your wife would probably quite like Opera, as it can zoom everything that is on a page, flash games included, rather than just the text as most other browsers do.

Opera at 100%:

Opera at 150%:

Opera Download

Hopefully these two suggestions will convince you to try the iMac a little while longer.
This is the most helpful response I've had yet. I have downloaded both and will have to play around with them later (OPERA will take a little getting used to, but...). I'll have to tweak and toy around with the ADIUM so I can figure out how to switch around the different screen names. Now, I have to do something about this keyboard-this skinny little thing is gonna drive me crazy yet...

RimmerDal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2008, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by RimmerDal View Post
It was
And is

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2008, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by RimmerDal View Post
This is the most helpful response I've had yet. I have downloaded both and will have to play around with them later (OPERA will take a little getting used to, but...). I'll have to tweak and toy around with the ADIUM so I can figure out how to switch around the different screen names. Now, I have to do something about this keyboard-this skinny little thing is gonna drive me crazy yet...
Whilst I like this forum a lot, the discussion about spelling and MAC addresses did seem a bit beside the point, something I'd expect to see in the Lounge rather than in here.

As for Opera, I tend to only use it when I need to scale a whole site, as I much prefer how Safari works and feels. There's nothing to stop you from using both browsers, whichever is most suitable at the time.

With Adium, you can choose which accounts connect when you open it:

(Select the account you want to edit and then click the Edit button to bring up this info). Checking/unchecking the box in the bottom left corner does as you would expect. Then, once Adium is open, to change the status of your accounts, use the Status menu:

If you do not like the new tiny Apple keyboard I would suggest looking on eBay for an old "Apple Pro Keyboard" in either black or white, whichever you prefer.

At all costs avoid the "Apple Keyboard" that came after it, the one that Apple just replaced with the aluminium one last year, and the one that everyone on eBay seems to mistakenly identify as a Pro model, even though there is no mention of the word "Pro" anywhere on it. For reference, it looks like this and is horrible to type on, the keys being angled in such a way that it is very tricky to actually press them down.

Of course you can also use any other USB keyboard and will simply need to click the "Modifier Keys..." button in the "Keyboard & Mouse" System Preference pane to tell it what you want to use the Windows key for etc.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

RimmerDal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2008, 01:02 PM

You have been most helpful-more than my brother-in-law, who's been an APPLE user since before Steve Jobs was born.... I'm going to start playing around with things and get everything set up later today. Again, thank you very much for your assistance.

Forum Links
Forum Rules