Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > safari or firefox?

safari or firefox?
mayoke
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2008, 09:06 PM

which works better on a mac? i've heard that firefox is quite bad on a mac... any advice?

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 7, 2008, 09:10 PM

They are both good.

Cold Warrior
Jan 7, 2008, 09:19 PM

Firefox works great. As does Safari. I use both.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2008, 09:27 PM

I prefer Safari, but Firefox isn't bad. It used to be, but it's actually quite all right now.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

iMan G5
Jan 7, 2008, 09:38 PM

iMac G5 1.9Ghz 2.5GB RAM 160 GB HD 17" widescreen + external regular 17

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2008, 09:51 PM

I use Safari for most everything except my online college, which Firefox works best with. BTW, I use the Spectrum theme which I took from Netscape (can't DL it for Firefox for some reason) so now Firefox looks like Safari 3. Oh, and of course I applied FireFoxy (selected v1.5 to skin the Firefox v2.x buttons).

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2008, 10:33 PM

Firefox

Safari is a heaping pile.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2008, 10:40 PM

A heaping pile of speed!
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2008, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
A heaping pile of speed!
Im finding iCab to be faster.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 7, 2008, 11:24 PM

I like Firefox a lot. I have seen people provide "reasons" why they don't like Firefox on a Mac, and these seem to boil down to "I don't like it." Style is the biggest thing they dislike-it's only just gotten to look like a Mac app in version 2...

With that said, Safari has its own issues, even version 3. The biggest problem with it seems to be that it's seen as something other than IE or "Netscape" and so browser-specific code gets switched on some sites so that stuff just doesn't work. For the sake of completeness I should add that I've had this sort of problem with Firefox on a very few sites, so it's not all a problem with Safari. In fact, it's not a browser problem at all, but a "lazy site coder" problem. Don't get me started.

Try 'em both, and decide which you like better for yourself. It can be fun!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

iMan G5
Jan 8, 2008, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
A heaping pile of poo!
fixed if for ya.
iMac G5 1.9Ghz 2.5GB RAM 160 GB HD 17" widescreen + external regular 17

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2008, 12:35 AM

Safari for me. I have Firefox in my dock too for compatibility, but I rarely find myself needing to using it. Things are much better than they were a few years ago, when nothing worked in browsers that weren't made by Microsoft. It ends up coming down to personal preference more than anything. Check them both out: Safari is already on your computer, and Firefox is free.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 8, 2008, 12:46 AM

Camino
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2008, 01:06 AM

Safari as much as possible; Firefox when I find things not working so well in Safari. And if you get Firefox, get Firefoxy.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2008, 01:13 AM

I use both Safari and Camino. (Camino has the same engine as Firefox but feels much more native.) However, if you are interested in the numerous extensions available for Firefox those will not work with Camino.

Transport 998
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2008, 03:29 PM

I'm kinda partial to Safari but can't for the life of me get Hotmail to work on a regular basis....any thoughts? Other than using Firefox! Dictionary short cut doesn't work on Firefox either?

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 10:54 PM

I'd like to see some benchmarks comparing all Mac browsers. I think the fastest are Opera, Safari, and Camino in no particular order. Prove to me iCab is fast...

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2008, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
I'd like to see some benchmarks comparing all Mac browsers. I think the fastest are Opera, Safari, and Camino in no particular order. Prove to me iCab is fast...
I haven't used the new iCab much but I can't imagine it's that different from Safari because it uses the same engine now.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2008, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by dn15 View Post
I haven't used the new iCab much but I can't imagine it's that different from Safari because it uses the same engine now.
Right, but I see quite a few people saying how fast iCab is, even that it's faster than Safari. I think it's placebo effect, but I'd like some real benchmarks to show one way or another. Maybe I'll test a bunch of browsers using some common CSS, JS benchmarks along with AcidTest2 and the Apple benchmark.

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2008, 12:39 AM

Right, but I see quite a few people saying how fast iCab is, even that it's faster than Safari. I think it's placebo effect, but I'd like some real benchmarks to show one way or another.
I do think a lot of browser speed debate is the result of placebo and wishful thinking. Benchmarks are flawed and favor one engine or another depending on what and how they test. Every browser had a benchmark saying it's best, so who are we to believe? Plus, most people have a favorite that they want to be faster so they think it is. Realistically with a modern computer the speed difference for most browser tasks can't be perceived easily. Whether it's Safari, Firefox, Opera, or a random third-party browser based on WebKit or Gecko, it's all about the same. The performance of the Internet connection and DNS servers at the nanosecond you click a link probably has more impact than anything else. I switch between browsers a lot, but it's because of interface and features, not any supposed speed difference.
( Last edited by dn15; Jan 9, 2008 at 12:46 AM. )

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2008, 01:53 AM

I ran some benchmarks to test page load time (initial load from internet, then four subsequent loads from cache), Javascript, CSS rendering, and AcidTest2 and found Safari 3 to be the fastest by little bit. The test results are attached as an image.

The CSS Rendering test results were so close and small it really didn't make much difference but iCab beat Safari by a small amount.

The shorter the bar the faster the browser. The numbers on the vertical (Y) axis is in milliseconds. Firefox and Omniweb both failed the AcidTest2, the others passed. Haven't tested Shiira yet since their web site is so slow and I wanted to get this posted. Also ran into issues with NeoOffice and lost some results.

Sarc
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2008, 09:03 AM

Firefox 3 betas FTW. They will use about half the memory that v2 does.
When other browsers get an ad-blocking solution as powerful as AdBlockPlus + Filterset.G I will consider them.
In the mean time, OmniWeb has a good ad-blocking solution, albeit not as powerful as FF's. Being based on Webkit, it will be as fast and as lightweight as Safari, although it will still lack on the compatibility dpt. however (gmail and hotmail for example).
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2008, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Sarc View Post
an ad-blocking solution as powerful as AdBlockPlus + Filterset.G
You shouldn't use Filterset.G with Adblock Plus.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2008, 08:22 PM

Firefox and Omniweb both failed the AcidTest2, the others passed.
Interesting... which version of OmniWeb as it also uses WebKit (so it shouldn't fail the Acid Test unless there has been a regression in recent versions of WebKit because OmniWeb tends to be ahead of the currently shipping Safari). Also, including any timing of stuff downloaded off the internet will skew the results as download speed will vary from second to second (and, potentially, drastically so). Unless you do a statistically significant number of tests for each browser where any bias due to this would be flattened, you can't really take anything from your results other than, perhaps, a general picture that the WebKit based browsers are potentially faster than the Gecko and Opera based ones, but quite similar to each other in speed.

Edit: Just tested OmniWeb 5.7 sp 1 (build 96871) and it passes Acid 2 without any problems.

Forum Links
Forum Rules