Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What we do for love.

What we do for love.
Railroader
Banned
Jul 24, 2005, 05:23 PM

Anyone ever done a seemingly petty thing for love? I'm not talking about romantic love exclusively.

My story: (Not romantic love. Love for my family.)

Yesterday we (wife/daughter/myself) went on a day trip to Ann Arbor, MI to visit a friend and his family. We spent the day there, had lunch, brewed beer, kids played, had dinner, went to Ben and Jerry's for ice cream cones. The Ann Arbor Art Fair was being held at the same time so we checked out a lot of that too.

On the drive home, during the last ten minutes of an hour drive, my friend calls me and tells me that my daughter left her teddy bear. She LOVES this thing. She drags it everywhere. She has to have it in her bed when she sleeps. She sings songs to it. It's very cute to watch. I told my wife why he called and she had this shocked look on her face like "OMG, you have to go get it! TONIGHT!"

So, I dropped off the family and drove back down there and got it.

It was well past bedtime when I got home. The whole drive home I can picture my daughter not sleeping and my wife having to handle it. But, luckily she was sleeping. She was tossing and turning, but she was mostly sleeping. She usually sleeps like a rock. I crept in and placed her bear under her arm and she actually "cooed" when it went under her arm. She slept soundly after that.

mfdynusore
Jul 24, 2005, 05:42 PM

Kudos to you! Being a dad is great.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2005, 06:42 PM

Congratulations on being an awesome Dad. How about pictures of the bear and your daughter?

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 24, 2005, 07:45 PM

You earned the title "Daddy" there, Railroader. Good job.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Spook E
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 24, 2005, 07:46 PM

Did your buddy meet you half way with the bear? that would've showed some lovin.

But cool story mate, you did good

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2005, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
Anyone ever done a seemingly petty thing for love? I'm not talking about romantic love exclusively.

Yesterday we (wife/daughter/myself) went on a day trip to Ann Arbor, MI to visit a friend and his family. We spent the day there, had lunch, brewed beer, kids played, had dinner, went to Ben and Jerry's for ice cream cones. The Ann Arbor Art Fair was being held at the same time so we checked out a lot of that too.

On the drive home, during the last ten minutes of an hour drive, my friend calls me and tells me that my daughter left her teddy bear. She LOVES this thing. She drags it everywhere. She has to have it in her bed when she sleeps. She sings songs to it. It's very cute to watch. I told my wife why he called and she had this shocked look on her face like "OMG, you have to go get it! TONIGHT!"

That is just plain crazy.

It was well past bedtime when I got home. The whole drive home I can picture my daughter not sleeping and my wife having to handle it. But, luckily she was sleeping. She was tossing and turning, but she was mostly sleeping. She usually sleeps like a rock. I crept in and placed her bear under her arm and she actually "cooed" when it went under her arm. She slept soundly after that.
That is just plain beautiful; my eyes got wet for a moment there. Your family is really blessed! Keep up the good work; but don't forget; kids have to grieve too! That is part of life! Anyway...

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2005, 08:13 PM

Umm.. I kinda have one too.

To honor our recently deceased grandmother, my brother and I have decided to recreate Christmas Dinner at her house this year. (it was always her favorite holiday, since the whole family would come together.) We have already started contacting relatives, some of whom had not been there since the mid 90s. We found the decorations she used to use, and are working on the recipies of the food she used to prepare.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Jul 24, 2005, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by wdlove
Congratulations on being an awesome Dad. How about pictures of the bear and your daughter?
Ask and you shall receive:

Originally Posted by Spook E
Did your buddy meet you half way with the bear? that would've showed some lovin.

But cool story mate, you did good
Wow. I forgot to mention this in the thread, but yeah, he did. He has a 3 and 4 year old, so he completely understood. He suggested the meeting halfway, I told/insisted him it wasn't necessary, but he insisted. Great guy. That's why he's my friend. We've been great friends since 5th grade (24 years ago) when we met.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 24, 2005, 09:35 PM

AAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWW! GREAT picture, Railroader!

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2005, 09:38 PM

Aww, what a cute kid. How old is she?

HawgJawl
Banned
Jul 24, 2005, 09:40 PM

The first person that posts "I'd hit it" gets smacked.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2005, 09:48 PM

Awwwww.......

mindwaves
Jul 24, 2005, 09:53 PM

Very nice story. Very adorable child.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jul 24, 2005, 10:00 PM

Adorable! You are a great Dad!

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 24, 2005, 10:04 PM

I told my son Luke I was his father.

budster101
Baninated
Jul 24, 2005, 10:12 PM

"You told you 'son' Luke you were his father"... I'm sure he was quite pleased <sarcasm>

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2005, 10:15 PM

I don't think what you did was petty at all. It might have been a minor inconvenience to you but it seems like it made a major difference to your daughter. Good for you for doing it.

One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2005, 10:18 PM

What an adorable little girl.

How could you have even thought about not going back for the bear?

Heck, I kept my teddy until I was 20--I am 34 now. In a fit of frenzied "adultness" I tossed it. What I wouldn't give to have it back.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2005, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by HawgJawl
The first person that posts "I'd hit it" gets smacked.
You're the first person who mentioned this and it's pretty f***ed up that you would even have the thought cross your mind.

Shame on you, Zimphy!

alligator
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2005, 10:51 PM

Way to go! Remember this story, it's something you can share with her in 20 years!

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2005, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by alligator
Way to go! Remember this story, it's something you can share with her in 20 years!
Or in 10 when she's complaining that you never do anything for her.

RGB
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2005, 10:54 PM

Well, this one was done for me...

Over winter break, I developed a nasty case of mononucleosis. Though there were still two weeks till school started again, I was supposed to be back in Lawrence, KS already for training at the school newspaper. It was my first semester as a manager, and I had a rather fresh staff to train.

Seeing as I couldn't eat, and couldn't sleep, there was no way I could drive the 600mi from Chicago.

So my Mom, who I'd spent all high school, college, etc proving my independence to, hopped in the drivers seat of my car, and drove me from Chicago to the airport in Kansas City, where she hopped on a plane back to Chicago. I spent most of the ride asleep, and even when awake, couldn't talk. I just managed to finish the last 45mins from the airport to Lawrence.

I really needed my mom, and she stepped up big time. I was really touched.

I wound up being way to sick to attend training that week, but at least I was in town already and was able to get going as soon as I got healthy.

budster101
Baninated
Jul 24, 2005, 10:57 PM

My father did things like this countless times for me, and for that I will respect him and hope to (when we have children) live up to his example.

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2005, 11:01 PM

She looks soo adorable!! I hope she remembers when she grows up that you loved her a whole lot! Anyways, usually girls are pretty ok when it comes to taking care of dads, its the sons that can be quite thankless! IMHO. Or may be we are just too darn busy!

_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

HawgJawl
Banned
Jul 24, 2005, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy
You're the first person who mentioned this and it's pretty f***ed up that you would even have the thought cross your mind.
Did you get all the drama out of your system.

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 24, 2005, 11:47 PM

I appreciate hte fact you went back for it, but on the other hand you lost a valuable chance on teaching your kid to remember their ****.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2005, 11:52 PM

Cute kid. Reminds me of Shirley Temple for some reason.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Jul 25, 2005, 12:56 AM

Thanks for all the compliments guys. She's 20 months old. She can make even the biggest biker guy crumble into a gentle bear in her presence. She will have me wrapped around her finger for decades to come. She's quite the attention getter.

RGB: My mom was awesome like that too. Might be why I did it. It really didn't put me out too much. Just more driving, which I do a ton of everyday anyway. I was going to be awake anyway really as I stay up quite late as it is. As I said earlier, it really was a petty thing, but it meant sooooo much to her.

She was even babbling about it today a few times.

J: Bear gone.
Me: Yup, but daddy got it.
J: Drive?
Me: Yup, daddy drove and got it.
J: Sleep?
Me: Yup, you couldn't sleep without it.
J: Rob haffway?
Me: Yup, Rob met daddy halfway.
J: Katie... Jenna?
Me: Yup, Katie and Jenna's daddy is Rob.
(it goes on for a few more minutes...)

Originally Posted by suvsr4terrorists
I appreciate hte fact you went back for it, but on the other hand you lost a valuable chance on teaching your kid to remember their ****.
I had a huge scathing rebuttal typed up here, but then I realized you don't have children and know anything about their development. Maybe you'll learn.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Jul 25, 2005, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
Cute kid. Reminds me of Shirley Temple for some reason.
Her hair really curls up in the humidity. My wife has wavy hair now and had curly hair when she was very young.

She's quite photogenic, as most kids her age are. They are really selfconcious about the camera. Makes for a good photography subject. I just follow her around and take candids all day.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2005, 05:54 AM

RR
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

OreoCookie
Jul 25, 2005, 06:16 AM

Who can resist those eyes?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 25, 2005, 08:15 AM

I had a huge scathing rebuttal typed up here, but then I realized you don't have children and know anything about their development. Maybe you'll learn.
Well stated. A child her age is not yet developmentally capable of "keeping up with her ****." A 6- or 7-year old, on the other hand, is going to be not only ready, but anxious to keep up with everything. Watch out...they keep up with YOUR stuff, too!

dav
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2005, 08:40 AM

cute kid. how could you not go?
one post closer to five stars

buggsuperstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 25, 2005, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by alligator
You can refer her to this thread.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Jul 25, 2005, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
A 6- or 7-year old, on the other hand, is going to be not only ready, but anxious to keep up with everything. Watch out...they keep up with YOUR stuff, too!
Really? Hmmm... I will have to keep an eye out for this. I had a couple classes in child development in college and my wife basically majored in early childhood development for her Master's degree. But most of those classes were 5 years old and younger.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Jul 25, 2005, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by buggsuperstar
You can refer her to this thread.
Exactly what I was thinking, Hopefully there will be some kind of backward compatible 2D web browser for teh future intarwebs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules