Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 500GB drive slows down iTunes

500GB drive slows down iTunes
eatinwokout
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2006, 11:21 PM

Running a 2.66 Mac Pro. I installed a Seagate Barracuda 500GB drive into one of the open bays and moved my iTunes library to the drive (pointed iTunes to the drive as well). Unfortunately, the drives seems to go to sleep like the external drives that I have hooked up and takes a noticeable amount of time to start up (especially when loading the Movies or TV Shows).

Is there any way to improve performance?

Experience & knowledge concerning drives: completely new and unexperienced. I made sure to get the correct drive though.

mr. burns
Senior User
Dec 23, 2006, 02:37 AM

in the energy saver system preferences, there's an option that will 'put hard disk(s) to sleep when possible'. you probably have that turned on. it is by default.

not all who wander are lost.

eatinwokout  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2006, 07:54 AM

I can't say I'm seeing that option. I see Put the computer to sleep when it is inactive for... and Put the display to sleep when the computer is inactive for...

Xyrrus
Forum Regular
Dec 23, 2006, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by eatinwokout View Post
I can't say I'm seeing that option. I see Put the computer to sleep when it is inactive for... and Put the display to sleep when the computer is inactive for...
Should be below those - there's no slider, just a checkbox. Very bottom of the window.

-Xy
MacPro (2.66, 4GB, 4x250GB, X1900+7300, 2x Dell 2005fpw, Samsung LNT4061)
MacBook Pro (2.2, 2GB, 120GB)

eatinwokout  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2006, 05:10 PM

Ah. Thanks for pointing that out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules