Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Need some help with moving mail to imap

Need some help with moving mail to imap
Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2007, 08:19 AM

I've been using apple Mail via pop for many years. I now have a nokia smartphone and would like to use that to view/check my mail while I'm out during the day. IMAP appears to be the idea way to do this, with it being able to keep everything synces between my gmail account that I have been popping to apple mail and to the phone too.

However, I have lots of mailboxes set up in mail into which I automatically sort incoming mail for organisation. When I tried switching everything to IMAP it appears as though I lose the ability to have mail's rules move my new mail around to the current mail boxes, only to new ones under the new imap mailbox.

Has anyone else done this? Is there a way to merge my old mail with the new IMAP mail or will I just have to start from scratch? Do apple mail's not work with imap accounts? For now I've switched back to pop until I can figure this out.

Thanks,

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

Cold Warrior
Dec 12, 2007, 10:43 PM

Mail works with IMAP. If you have old mail in local folders, you can drag-drop them into the IMAP folder of choice and they will be copied or moved there. As for your sorting rules, those would have to be set up server-side (in gmail), assuming gmail can do it. Otherwise your rules occur client-side.

Freeflyer  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2007, 10:52 AM

Thank you, that makes things a little clearer. Can you tell me, if I'm using mail as the client on my laptop, does the mail actually download there, ie can I still access it all offline. If I'm away for example and not connected to the internet, do I still have the emails available to read and reply to offline in the same way I do with pop mail presently?

Thanks for your help,

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

Cold Warrior
Dec 13, 2007, 04:12 PM

If you configure your email client to download the full messages (not just headers or anything under 40KB), then they'll be available offline.

Freeflyer  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 2007, 06:11 PM

Thank you very much, just what I needed to know.

Forum Links
Forum Rules