Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > ichat connection failure...help

ichat connection failure...help
sedlacek
Dec 26, 2006, 08:09 PM

Hi gang-

Here's my issue: I can ichat AV to another Mac from within my LAN with no problem. I can also connect from work (and from behind work's firewall) to this other mac at home, again, with no problem. Figuring that I was good to go, I left for some travel and was trying to ichat AV using the free (as in beer) broadband service available from within Panera breads eatery and the connection fails! And it doesn't matter if I attempt to initate the video it or the other mac initiates it. (I can still text between the two machines okay). Is it possible that there are BB requirements that must be first met before the AV feature is usable?? Finally, for those ichat gurus out there who might be willing to try to diagnosis this problem, I've also given the following header information from error code dump.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. (since I'm on the road I won't be checking my messages until tomorrow, when I visit the local Panera eatery again....) ;-)

oh yeah, hardware:

MBP C2D
MBP CD

Both have the latest rev of the OS and ichat 3.1.5.

TIA

******Begin*****

Date/Time: 2006-12-26 18:18:25.058 -0500
OS Version: 10.4.8 (Build 8N1037)
Report Version: 4

iChat Connection Log:
AVChat started with ID 1692733790.
lidarresearcher5: State change from AVChatNoState to AVChatStateWaiting.
0x18a62120: State change from AVChatNoState to AVChatStateInvited.
0x18a62120: State change from AVChatStateInvited to AVChatStateConnecting.
lidarresearcher5: State change from AVChatStateWaiting to AVChatStateConnecting.
lidarresearcher5: State change from AVChatStateConnecting to AVChatStateEnded.
Chat ended with error -8
0x18a62120: State change from AVChatStateConnecting to AVChatStateEnded.
Chat ended with error -8

*****End*****
--------------
MBP-2.33GHz/3GB/15-inch
TiBk-667MHz/768MB/15-inch
Lomdard-333MHz/384MB/15-inch
PB-3400/20MHz/144MB/12.1-inch

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2006, 01:49 AM

I'm suspecting that there is a firewall issue here. While you may be able to connect at work, and at home, right now you're using Panera's wirless router, which may very well be blocking the ports that iChat needs to initiate a video conference.

Here's some info for you.
I gotta have more cowbell.

philm
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2006, 04:53 AM

iChat's connection will also fail if you do not have enough network speed, although you should get a dialog box which tells you this if this is the problem.

sedlacek  (op)
Dec 27, 2006, 12:20 PM

Thanks Guys...I was concluding as much last night. Will definitely read up on the links.

cheers.
--------------
MBP-2.33GHz/3GB/15-inch
TiBk-667MHz/768MB/15-inch
Lomdard-333MHz/384MB/15-inch
PB-3400/20MHz/144MB/12.1-inch

Zoom
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2007, 10:03 PM

I'm having the same problem. I don't think it's a regular network problem, though. I've tested with my girlfriend and my mom. Here's the info:

me: iChat AV 3.1.7 (PPC)
GF: 3.1.6 (Intel)
Mom: 3.1.6 (Intel)

We're all on OSX 10.4.8 and all calls were video (though audio failed, too).

I'm behind a router and so is my mom. My GF was traveling. She was in two different hotels and an airport. None of them worked for us. I get the same "Error -8" that listed above.

But my mom and I can connect fine, always have. And I had her try my mom from the airport, and it worked fine. I don't see a pattern here. It's not the iChat version. It's not one of us that always fails.

Some more data, in case it matters. I tried a video conference, too. I let Mom be the hub since she can connect to both of us. From her side, it says something like "can't because you're already in a conference". But on my side it tries and fails with the -8 error.

This is REALLY frustrating. I'm a engineer who writes SIP applications, too. It looks like there's some port that's not open, but if that's true, how can I talk to my mom but not my GF?

My only guess is that it's a combination of iChat revision and network settings, but it appears that my mom and GF would be the same in that regard.

I'm lost. Any ideas?
Late 2012 27" iMac 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 24GB RAM, 3TB Fusion drive

emphyrio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2007, 11:23 PM

In trying to solve this same issue, i ran across this post, which explains the issue as being caused by SIP and NAT trying to co-exist.

Zoom
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2007, 02:50 PM

I think I saw that same article, but I'm not sure it explains my situation. Given that:

1) my GF and I could couldn't chat
2) my GF and my mom could chat
3) my mom and I could chat

I guess this would indicate, per the article, that both my GF and I were behind NAT's and my mother wasn't. I know my mother isn't and I'm fairly sure that I am, so maybe all the multiple locations where she was using her laptop, there was a NAT?

There's no NAT functionality on OSX, is there? Or at least, none on by default, right? I had my GF turn off the built-in software firewall and that didn't fix it.

I have a very new Netgear WGR614 wifi router and I'm fairly sure that a) it has UPnP and b) it's enabled.

What else can I do, besides opening myself wide for all traffic?

macmad
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 1, 2007, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
I have a very new Netgear WGR614 wifi router and I'm fairly sure that a) it has UPnP and b) it's enabled.
Have you tried turning UPnP off? Some routers apparently require it disabled.
iChat AV: Compatible Network Routers

Zoom
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 03:29 PM

Just saw this..

Why is iChat only approved over certain routers?? I see the NetGear and Linksys are not on the list, which are probably two of the most popular brands out there.

I can't believe this hasn't been figured out. Maybe I'll just have to get in there with a packet sniffer and get to the bottom of this. I just couldn't believe someone hadn't figured it out yet.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2007, 03:45 PM

I had exactly the same problem.

It went away immediately and completely when I threw out the D-Link DI-624 wireless router I was using.

Though now I see that all I would have had to do is disable UPnP. Huh.

Forum Links
Forum Rules