Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > School blocking Xtorrent and Acquisition. Any way around it?

School blocking Xtorrent and Acquisition. Any way around it?
mjgrothaus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2007, 07:12 AM

Hello,

I just logged onto my schools network and it appears they block apps like Xtorrent and Acquisition. Can I change any of the setting on my MacBook or in the apps themselves tog et around this?

Thanks!

rjt1000
Senior User
Sep 12, 2007, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by mjgrothaus View Post
Hello,

I just logged onto my schools network and it appears they block apps like Xtorrent and Acquisition. Can I change any of the setting on my MacBook or in the apps themselves tog et around this?

Thanks!
The reason schools block torrents is because they potentially use up a lot of bandwidth and often are used for activities that could get the school nasty letters from lawyers representing copyright holders. If you are using torrents for legitimate educational activities, I would go to your I.T. department and plead your case. But I dont think you will find them opening up ports for torrents.

Your school is managing internet access for hundred or thousands of users. They have the right to set usage restrictions to maintain the network for the majority of users. Trying to bypass these restrictions could get you in heaps of trouble.

Cold Warrior
Sep 12, 2007, 09:30 AM

Use a VPN if you have one. For example, connecting to a home VPN from school, then the home (if it has no port restrictions or traffic shaping) connection can do stuff like BT. If that isn't available, you might look at a for-fee VPN, such as vpnout.com.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2007, 09:32 AM

Look into usenet. If you have a usenet connection, this will get you stuff much faster than Bittorrent, and the selection of movies is awesome (haven't yet used it for other stuff, but I'm sure the selection there is good too). If you don't have one, you can subscribe to one via giganews. Check out the newzbin search engine and downloading nzb files from this site.

Remxed
Sep 12, 2007, 11:26 AM

vpn and usenet both cost money (unless you set up vpn yourself).

Another free option is use direct connect (dc++) and set up a hub within your school. If all users are connected through lan, you can get speeds over 10mB/s

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2007, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Remxed View Post
vpn and usenet both cost money (unless you set up vpn yourself).

Another free option is use direct connect (dc++) and set up a hub within your school. If all users are connected through lan, you can get speeds over 10mB/s
Yeah, and if their NOC is monitoring their network he will get in trouble.

Usenet is the best way to fly under the radar.

mjgrothaus  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2007, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Yeah, and if their NOC is monitoring their network he will get in trouble.

Usenet is the best way to fly under the radar.
Thanks for the reply. So, how do I use usenet? Is it a website? An app? Sorry for the stupid questions.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2007, 11:38 AM

I've already pointed you in the right direction with my first response in this thread. Sorry, I think spelling out what you actually need to do would get me into trouble, but I've definitely provided you with enough info to get you going.

The client I like is hellanzb, but there are more Mac-like clients available too if you're not much of a Unix guy.

mjgrothaus  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2007, 11:41 AM

I've already pointed you in the right direction with my first response in this thread. Sorry, I think spelling out what you actually need to do would get me into trouble, but I've definitely provided you with enough info to get you going.

The client I like is hellanzb, but there are more Mac-like clients available too if you're not much of a Unix guy.
yes you did. thanks for that. i will check into it!

Mike

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2007, 11:57 AM

Look into usenet. If you have a usenet connection, this will get you stuff much faster than Bittorrent, and the selection of movies is awesome (haven't yet used it for other stuff, but I'm sure the selection there is good too). If you don't have one, you can subscribe to one via giganews. Check out the newzbin search engine and downloading nzb files from this site.
you know better?
we don't have time to stop for gas

Forum Links
Forum Rules