Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Replacing a cd drive in a G4 Ti Powerbook 550

Replacing a cd drive in a G4 Ti Powerbook 550
krillbee
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2007, 02:42 PM

I have a G4 Ti Powerbook 550, and I am considering replacing the cd-rom drive in this unit. It seems like the labor part would be a piece of cake, just remove the bottom cover, but what kind of drive would work in here? When I was looking on ebay I noticed that there were a lot of G4 Aluminum cd-drives for sale, would they work in here, or does it have to be specifically made for a TI powerbook? Anyone know where I could find a cheap drive for this thing? Either a cdrw drive or a combo drive, it doesnt matter.

rjt1000
Senior User
Nov 4, 2007, 03:12 PM

mfbernstein
Senior User
Nov 4, 2007, 10:13 PM

Aside from the bezel (which you presumably already have with your TiBook), any drive for a PB G4 should work fine. If you want cheap, eBay's a good bet. A search for PowerBook G4 combo brought up several dozen hits.

Forum Links
Forum Rules