Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Pismo problem

Pismo problem
Pismo500
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2009, 11:24 PM

I have a Pismo 500 running OS X 4.11 with 512Mb of RAM. One day, recently, I closed the lid kicking it into its "sleep" mode to move it elsewhere. When I opened the lid again, it would not come out of its "sleep" mode. The "start" button would not even work. Thought something "went down"... But found this out... I went and removed the main battery, the "P-RAM" battery and AC adapter along with the processor card. When I reinstalled them and reset the PMU on the back, it booted up. But one time I went to the open firmware and reset it and now it will not allow me to "start up" at all. It does not seen to me that anything is "fired" - maybe something is "confused". I can tell it is getting power as the "cap locks" key lights up. Any thoughts...? Thanks in advance!

macfix
Jul 4, 2009, 11:12 AM

Try unplugging the pram battery. Leave the pram battery unplugged. Start up.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2009, 10:07 PM

This is an off-topic reply, but wow! You still have a Pismo? I had one in 1999 and I LOVED that thing! I wish I had never gotten rid of it!

Sorry for my off-topicness.
the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 6, 2009, 04:57 PM

You didn't have a Pismo in 1999, because the Pismo was introduced in early 2000. If it's a 1999 model, then it's likely a Lombard.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2009, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by tooki View Post
You didn't have a Pismo in 1999, because the Pismo was introduced in early 2000. If it's a 1999 model, then it's likely a Lombard.
It must have been in early 2000 then. That was WAY back there!
the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

finboy
Jul 8, 2009, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by macfix View Post
Try unplugging the pram battery. Leave the pram battery unplugged. Start up.
Sounds like this is what you need to do. Write back and let us know if it works (I use my Pismo 2-3 times per week even now).

Pismo500  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2009, 02:33 AM

Disconnecting the "P-RAM" battery did not seem to work... I am going to remove the main battery and leave it for a few days with the AC plugged in and see what happens... When I use my iPod ear buds with it and hit the start button, I hear a "clunk" type of sound... Strange thing is, I can tell by the caps lock key lighting up that it is getting power... I tried a PMU reset as well...
( Last edited by Pismo500; Jul 11, 2009 at 02:46 AM. )

rjt1000
Senior User
Jul 11, 2009, 07:05 PM

Since you've had the processor board out, be sure that it is fully seated. The best way to do this is to take the RAM out of the top slot so that you can push down directly (and very firmly) over the socket. It takes more pressure than you might think. Then put back the RAM. BTW: my Pismo 500 is still running fine, now at 9 years.

Pismo500  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2009, 12:31 AM

Thanks - I will try that...

Update - did not seem to work... I am perplexed! Should I get a new logic board off ebay? I hate to spend the money if I don't have to...
( Last edited by Pismo500; Jul 12, 2009 at 12:42 AM. )

rjt1000
Senior User
Jul 12, 2009, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Pismo500 View Post
Thanks - I will try that...

Update - did not seem to work... I am perplexed! Should I get a new logic board off ebay? I hate to spend the money if I don't have to...
When you reseat the processor card, you should feel it clunk into place. Be sure all the pins look straight. Have you tried booting from the OS disk or a firewire drive? Have you run the hardware test CD?

If none of that works, and if you really want to keep the Pismo running, I would probably look at eBay auctions for Pismos being sold for parts or repair, preferably with an unrelated problem, perhaps a broken monitor. That would give you lots of parts to swap around, which is probably the best way to figure out what is wrong anyway. And you could sell the remaining good parts to recoup your costs.
( Last edited by rjt1000; Jul 12, 2009 at 08:11 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules