Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 4 8 15 16 23 42

4 8 15 16 23 42 (Page 16)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 22, 2010, 09:02 PM

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
May 23, 2010, 01:57 PM

I'm remaining unaffiliated.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
May 23, 2010, 02:00 PM

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
May 23, 2010, 02:38 PM

Watching the pilot again reminded me of how really great the show was at the beginning. It made me a little sad =(

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 23, 2010, 03:52 PM

It's already been hinted at, but I can't wait for the discussion of Worse Finale: BSG or Lost?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2010, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
It's already been hinted at, but I can't wait for the discussion of Worse Finale: BSG or Lost?
I doubt they will compare. BSG was atrocious already in the penultimate season. It's the difference between stupid-silly and entertaining-silly. Lost being the latter.

Either way, Jacob is now out of it isn't he? It's Jack now vs. the Smokey.

I still root for Smokey.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 23, 2010, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
I'm remaining unaffiliated.
I'm not actually rooting for Jacob. But the I'm with Coco look was cool.

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
May 23, 2010, 10:19 PM

Ah, 1.4 hours in and no answers yet. And back to the damn plane again. sheeesh

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2010, 10:31 PM

Let's be honest here: this is painfully, utterly terrible.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
May 23, 2010, 11:30 PM

We have a winner.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
May 23, 2010, 11:30 PM

Why did they spend so much time on the group getting off the island? Why is the island so damn important? ARRRGGGHHHH!

stevesnj
Mac Elite
May 23, 2010, 11:39 PM

I think the Island was like a Purgatory, Jack was the only one who had to be forgiven of his sins so him and rest can go on to heaven. Just a guess, I think a guess is the best I can do..lol

At least they ABC did one thing to get me to watch 6 years of commercials.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

pooka
Mac Elite
May 24, 2010, 12:14 AM

It's not New Years, but I'm swearing off TV forever. Thanks guys. It was a good run. **** you. Bye.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
May 24, 2010, 12:16 AM

Ugh. What a load.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
May 24, 2010, 12:33 AM

I like how they basically gave Walt and Michael the middle finger in the recap
( Last edited by abbaZaba; May 24, 2010 at 12:45 AM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 24, 2010, 01:41 AM

I can't wait to see the internet on fire tomorrow.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2010, 02:21 AM

Well, to me, the flash-sideways were all in their individual "afterlifes." Everything else was real and happened — but we got the shaft as far as having the island, it's origin, etc., explained. For now.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2010, 02:43 AM

I don't know how I feel. It wasn't BSG bad. And I like that they used the flash sideways universe as a way to say good bye.

I'm more upset by how many plot holes this opens. Why did the unplug the light? Why didn't Jack let Desmond do it so no one had to die? Why was the island underwater in the sideways universe? Why did they have to save the island? Etc.

Edit: Also, why did Jack have a son in the alternate universe? His son never actually existed.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
May 24, 2010, 03:59 AM

The finale did explain the sideways world but did nothing to address everything that happened the first 3 seasons.

It was a horrible ending to the show.

In the end the story gave no justification to most of the major plot points like dharma's presence, what the island was, why it needed protection, and on and on.....

This is the best post I've read about tonight's episode:

Originally Posted by Xavin:

Well, I think it was actually a pretty damn good ending to a story. The problem is that story was not Lost

At least they were consistent. The finale had less to do with the show than even the rest of the season has, with zero answers and only a few new questions (somebody had to build all the Egyptian?(lol) looking crap at the "plug").

I don't know why people are saying it didn't make any sense, it made perfect sense. The island stuff was all real, Jack's dad explicitly said so, he couldn't have made it clearer if he looked at the camera. The people on the plane got away (probably dropping into the ocean ten minutes later, with no navigation, not enough gas, and the "you can't leave field" back on, but whatever). Hurley and Ben were the new Jacob and Richard and probably ****ed a whole new set of people by crashing their spaceships or whatever into the island and randomly murdering them.

Eventually everyone died, then they all went to some kind of timeless purgatory holding area because they were such good friends (except that a lot of them were mortal enemies, but apparently nobody wanted to invite Jacob or MiB), run by a crazy old woman (God?) who fits right in because she also likes screwing with people's heads for no reason apparently, but will just bitch, not actually take a stand. After they all lived their pseudo perfect lives for a while (including murder and death, wtf?) they remembered they were dead and needed to move on, so they gathered at the church and went into the light as the Hawaiian vacation is now over and they have to find real work again.

Nothing confusing there, just a bunch of dumb shit, business as usual.

It does blow my mind that they completely gave up on things like the numbers after all that work they put into building them up. The numbers weren't like the statue or the temple, they were the centerpiece of the first four seasons.

MrsLarry
Senior User
May 24, 2010, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Why didn't Jack let Desmond do it so no one had to die?
He felt like what he was meant for. It was his absolution.

Why was the island underwater in the sideways universe?
Atomic Bomb?

Edit: Also, why did Jack have a son in the alternate universe? His son never actually existed.
To link him to Juliet.

MrsLarry
Senior User
May 24, 2010, 10:12 AM

I feel good about about the ending. Here's what I took from it.

No, we don't have all the answers. But I feel at peace with the whole thing. The peace is something hit me in the last few episodes. And last night solidified it. It doesn't matter what Smokey's real name is, it doesn't matter why there was a plane full of heroin on the Island, it doesn't matter who built the statue and why. Just like in Life, it's the relationships that matter. And whatever you believe in, God or not, it's nice to think that at some point, you'll be reunited with the people you formed those bonds with.

Just another note: Have you ever been in the hospital with someone who was dying and heard them mumbling nonsense? Talking to people long since past, conversations that seem to make no sense. That's what I took "Sideways World" as. It's the place between life as death. Where "your whole life flashes before your eyes". Where you accept what's happening, and find peace, and maybe even joy, in what's to come.

Well, that's how I see it, anyway.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
May 24, 2010, 10:30 AM

Worked for me. Glad they didn't hold our hands and explain everything as is the tradition with the usual mediocre hack TV writers. Questions remain, and in a way that extends the life of the series.

On another note, I noticed a long time ago that ABC are the ultimate whores when it comes to commercials during things like this. Last night included more than 45 minutes of commercials.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2010, 11:45 AM

Lost: Everyone wins, but the atheists.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2010, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by MrsLarry View Post
He felt like what he was meant for. It was his absolution.
Which is kind of lame...

Atomic Bomb?
No atomic bomb. The island doesn't really exist in that reality. Nothing really exists actually. That's why at the end everyone was magically healing their own injuries once they realized it all wasn't real.

To link him to Juliet.
But considering the entire place was fake, and they were all dead, it kind of renders character development unnecessary, doesn't it? I mean, they developed them in this alternate universe, for them all to really be dead. So any development between Jack and Juliet ceases to matter, especially in since their son isn't real anyway.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

starman
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2010, 12:32 PM

The island wasn't fake.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

MrsLarry
Senior User
May 24, 2010, 12:39 PM

So goMac... you think they died in the crash?

I think everything that happened on the Island really happened. And everyone died at their own pace (sort of what Christian tried to explain). And that the Alt Universe was just a place for everyone to meet up. In death, time doesn't really matter. In my mind, Kate could have left the Island, and lived for 40 more years. But when she died, eventually, she ended up back in Alt World, to be back with everyone.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2010, 01:06 PM

It was pretty much spelled out in "Christian Shepherd? Really?"'s speech: Everything that happened, happened.

That doesn't make the last ten minutes not completely suck however.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 24, 2010, 04:24 PM

I think everything that happened on the Island really happened. And everyone died at their own pace (sort of what Christian tried to explain). And that the Alt Universe was just a place for everyone to meet up. In death, time doesn't really matter. In my mind, Kate could have left the Island, and lived for 40 more years. But when she died, eventually, she ended up back in Alt World, to be back with everyone.
This is exactly what I got from it. What Christian said basically explained it all. Most people seemed to miss that.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2010, 04:32 PM

Yes, ONLY ONLY ONLY the flash-sideways were "not real."
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 24, 2010, 05:00 PM

I'm guessing in that extra 20 minutes of footage they're going to explain how the hell Ben got out from under that tree.

Overall, I liked it, but a lot of that is thanks to Season 6 lowering the bar for expectations. I feel like I should be astounded that they decided to answer no questions in the finale, but somehow I'm not.

Edit: I was happy to see John Terry back as Jack's Dad, even if it was in The Explainer® role. If Jack was what kept the survivors going, it was Christian that kept Jack going.

-Q-
May 24, 2010, 05:07 PM

I think goMac was making his comments about Limbo/Sideways, not the island.

If Limbo was created by the group to serve as a "meeting place" before they moved onto the "next life" after they died, then nothing there was real, if we take Christian's explanation at face value. By extension, that makes the Island (on the ocean floor) in sideways world not real, along with Jack's son and his relationship with Juliet.

-Q-
May 24, 2010, 05:10 PM

Overall, I liked it, but a lot of that is thanks to Season 6 lowering the bar for expectations. I feel like I should be astounded that they decided to answer no questions in the finale, but somehow I'm not.
I think that's about where I am with things. I thought it was a good finale for Season 6, but not a very good one for the series overall. It gave closure to the characters, but nothing else. And I guess I'm Ok with that.

I'm just glad my Hurley theory came true.

MrsLarry
Senior User
May 24, 2010, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
I'm still holding onto the theory that the true caretaker of the island is Hurley. He's the one that's interacted with Jacob the most, and ran into the numbers, which started this whole thing.
Yeah, totally right on. Good job!

I feel like the real "protector" should be someone who purely believes, without needing to be talked into it. As much as I admire Jack, and he came around in the end, be he needed too much pushing to "believe in the Island"

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
May 24, 2010, 07:14 PM

I feel good about about the ending.

It doesn't matter what Smokey's real name is, it doesn't matter why there was a plane full of heroin on the Island, it doesn't matter who built the statue and why. Just like in Life, it's the relationships that matter.
That's a cop out.
Look at the very title of this thread and most of the discussion.
The lure of the show was the mystery and questions that surrounded the situation the survivors found themselves in. The character's relationships were secondary and only interesting in how they pertained to the overall story of the island. The ending addressed none of that really.
Its sad that people a large portion of people are satisfied by the ending only because they were so disappointed in recent seasons so they settled for anything above what became the status quo in the series.

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2010, 07:45 PM

The island happened. My question is why they spent time building mythology and raising questions in an alternate universe where nothing is real anyway.

Why should we care who Jack's son's mother is? The son isn't real. The world isn't real. And their relationship isn't real. It doesn't add any depth to Jack in since Jack pretty much just resets once he realizes the truth.

I liked the episode. But I thought they totally cheapened the alternate universe.

MrsLarry
Senior User
May 24, 2010, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Langdon View Post
That's a cop out.
Look at the very title of this thread and most of the discussion.
The lure of the show was the mystery and questions that surrounded the situation the survivors found themselves in. The character's relationships were secondary and only interesting in how they pertained to the overall story of the island. The ending addressed none of that really.
Its sad that people a large portion of people are satisfied by the ending only because they were so disappointed in recent seasons so they settled for anything above what became the status quo in the series.
I'm usually always more interested in the interpersonal relationships of people more than the other stuff. Even on shows like CSI, which is all about "whodunit?" I've always been interested in the characters relationships to one another. Like I said though, that's just how I see it, I know many people don't.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have known Smokey's real name, I'm a curious person... but at the end of the day, it doesn't change anything.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
May 24, 2010, 09:09 PM

And last night solidified it. It doesn't matter what Smokey's real name is, it doesn't matter why there was a plane full of heroin on the Island, it doesn't matter who built the statue and why.
I thought the heroin plane was explained. Mr Eko was supposed to be on that heroine plane (as he was a big drug dealer), but his brother got shot and ended up on the plane instead. That's when Mr. Eko became spiritual. That plane crashed on the island some time later.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
May 24, 2010, 09:14 PM

All I really wanted in the finale was a little more homage to the mysterious of the island. I loved the homage to the relationships of the past (Claire and Charlie, Shannon and Sayid, etc), but would it have killed them to have the numbers inscribed in the cave of light somehow? Maybe on the "cork" itself? I'm coming to terms with some of the mysteries not being directly answered:

1) baby deaths: radiation from A-Bomb
2) egyptian artifcats: must be the original people who came to the island... and I guess they were immune to electromagnetic forces

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2010, 05:21 AM

It ended on a happy note. That's the good thing. I like that.

I would gladly have accepted a more plot-hole free final episode. I would have loved some solid answers to the island mythology (lame as they probably would have been)

... and one thing I don't get is what Desmond wanted to do. He had been visiting the 'purgatory' when he got electromagnet-shocked. Sure it's one thing to see it, but he seemed sure of how to get there. And then he was wrong..? Meh.

Suffice to say: I don't get it and that's just one of many many plot holes and curiosities left unanswered. Like: why did Whitmore bring Desmond to the island anyway?

But plot holes aside, the ending was for the characters and it was nice and had finality to it. I can respect that and despite all that could have been, perhaps enough has been said about the island and secrets and stuff.

It was a fun ride and a nice end.

4 8 15 16 23 42

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2010, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Ghoser777 View Post
I'm coming to terms with some of the mysteries not being directly answered:

1) baby deaths: radiation from A-Bomb
2) egyptian artifcats: must be the original people who came to the island... and I guess they were immune to electromagnetic forces
I'm sorry, it's stupid shit like this spouted by Lost fans that makes me hate myself for watching this show for so many years.

This episode was a waste of almost 3 hours of my life. Period. at least two thirds of it was sentimental drivel on the level of daytime soaps, if not worse. The other third made zero sense at all, and now everyone has to resort to spouting the kind of inane bs like you've done above.

Meh. It went as expected. Same as BSG, Alias, Lost, yadda yadda yadda - good shows that had promise for a couple seasons, and then went on seasons too long before flaming out.

The bottom line is that Lost confirms what we've seen again and again: TV writers, unfortunately, are terrible writers. Given the number of massive, pointless diversions we saw, it's pretty clear that they simply never sat down and wrote a plan for this series.

Too bad. I'll give away / throw out my box sets that I stopped buying after season 3, and never watch another episode again.

*shrug*

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 25, 2010, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
I think that's about where I am with things. I thought it was a good finale for Season 6, but not a very good one for the series overall.
That's exactly the what I've been saying in IRL. The pricks wrapped up the Season 6 plot they created without too huge of a mess. Shame about the other 5.

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
It ended on a happy note.
Jack dying?

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Too bad. I'll give away / throw out my box sets that I stopped buying after season 3, and never watch another episode again.
I figured I'd never want to watch the show again just because so much of it was shock value.

I will say that if a fan ever creates a version of the series that runs in chronological order, I will want to watch.

---

Side note: I watched the Pilot before the show came on Sunday, out of curiosity. After that I commented to a friend that I would have been happy with a loop of Shannon dying as the final ep. What a terrible character (Also, Sayid got gypped in the afterlife).

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2010, 12:54 PM

Jack dying?
I've had to wait SIX seasons for that! Champagne for EVERYONE!!

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
May 25, 2010, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
I'm sorry, it's stupid shit like this spouted by Lost fans that makes me hate myself for watching this show for so many years.
Why, because I decided to come up with my own answers after the writers didn't help me out? They screwed me out of the closure most people in the Lost Universe wanted, so I'm going to make it myself. I could tell the writers to shove it and reject the whole story, or take it for what it is and fill in the gaps as necessary.

andi*pandi
May 26, 2010, 07:53 AM

I was with them up until Desmond was wrong. I didn't mind the sentimental bits, was pleased to see some familar faces, the reunions, Bernard and Rose... but was hoping for a real happy, logical ending.

The first year after speculation they promised us this wasn't an "afterlife" or "purgatory", and sure, the island is "real" but the sideways world is purgatory? Technicality ripoff. It makes the whole escape from the island pointless, the island pointless, and everything they went through on it. It makes the whole sideways world pointless--I enjoyed the Sayyid/Shannon reunion only because I thought Nadia was married to someone else. Nadia was dead and could have met him in the afterlife too?

And what the hell is baby Aaron doing in purgatory? Why wasn't everyone who died on that fricking island there? Bah.

Nice unitarian church though.

That said, the Ben and Hurley Rule the island show would be interesting- as a webisode or cartoon.

Did anyone see the alternate endings?
( Last edited by andi*pandi; May 26, 2010 at 08:06 AM. )

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 26, 2010, 08:37 AM

Unanswered Lost questions:
Unanswered Lost Questions - CollegeHumor video

And it even leaves some out, like wtf the numbers are/mean.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 26, 2010, 10:27 AM

I'm gonna say it, I am really glad I didn't get into this show.

BSG was a huge letdown, couldn't even make it through the last season. What the hell is wrong with American television? Can we have one sweet show that ends in its prime instead of jackassing around for years and years until even the hardcore fans are disappointed?

torsoboy
Mac Elite
May 26, 2010, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post

Agreed. That video shows how many questions were left unanswered, and it even missed a bunch of them.

The last episode sucked, and didn't answer anything except what the alternate timeline was (which didn't make much sense anyway... Claire has a baby in the alternate timeline, even though she already had that same baby in real life? You can kill people that are already dead? wtf? ). With the director promising us that all of the answers would be provided by the end of the season, I was fairly disappointed (to put it mildly). The last episode didn't explain anything at all about why the people were on the island, or why they all had to be there, or thousands of other questions. In summary, the last episode sucked.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 26, 2010, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
With the director promising us that all of the answers would be provided by the end of the season
Where did you see that?

andi*pandi
May 26, 2010, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post

This is awesome, and I feel totally validated.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 26, 2010, 09:27 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules