Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Battlefield 3

Battlefield 3 (Page 9)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 16, 2012, 02:02 PM

Jesus Christ. What rank(s) are you?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 20, 2012, 10:41 AM

I have no idea why DICE put "Fire in the Sky" as the second co-op mission. It's ridiculously hard, almost entirely because flying helis is not simple. It feels like a challenge to see how long til you **** up. Did it twice this weekend as pilot, and choked twice, the second time I'm pretty sure right at the end. Frustrating, as I can play any other co-op mission til its done. Awfulawfulawful.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2012, 03:17 PM

oh my LORD, fire in the sky was one of the must frustrating things I've ever done in a video game. I wanted to put the controller though the TV on so many occasions. finally I hunkered down and learned how to fly the damn helicopter and got past that mission with a competent gunner, but MAN was that mission frustrating. I ended up completing all the co-op missions with that guy. it was very fulfilling, talking to the other guy and getting through all the stuff. It was a fun 2 hours.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Jesus Christ. What rank(s) are you?
well, I'm not in front of the box right now, but from what I can recall off the top of my head, I have 10 service stars for Assault, 8 for Engineer, 2 for Support, and 7 for Recon. I also have 33 Colonel Service Stars overall

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 20, 2012, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
oh my LORD, fire in the sky was one of the must frustrating things I've ever done in a video game. I wanted to put the controller though the TV on so many occasions. finally I hunkered down and learned how to fly the damn helicopter and got past that mission with a competent gunner, but MAN was that mission frustrating. I ended up completing all the co-op missions with that guy. it was very fulfilling, talking to the other guy and getting through all the stuff. It was a fun 2 hours.
I did two runs with a random this weekend, and I'd say I'm an above average pilot (which isn't saying much as it is difficult), but I still choked both times, the last one I think right near the end of the mission. It wouldn't even be so bad, but it's so long that it just astronomically raises the odds you're just going to **** up.

well, I'm not in front of the box right now, but from what I can recall off the top of my head, I have 10 service stars for Assault, 8 for Engineer, 2 for Support, and 7 for Recon. I also have 33 Colonel Service Stars overall
That's a lot of Recon stars. You must put some serious time in overall, too.

---

I didn't much interesting this weekend, but I have started trying all the Assault rifles. The starter AK-47M is decidedly powerful. It's done me proud on Grand Bazaar.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2012, 03:45 PM

Missing my BF3 time. I've had to work three crazy weeks in a row, and my limited gaming time has gone to Skyrim. Per my standard methods, I'll be getting back on here after everyone else is done with it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 20, 2012, 03:48 PM

We've been missing you, bullet sponge.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2012, 04:14 PM

I do play a lot of TDM if I want to get some quick games in so that's where most my service stars for Recon come from. if you don't have the KH2002, definitely try to get that. it's a beast with the PKA scope- very accurate and mashing the trigger is basically automatic fire. it's got an incredibly accurate burst. I don't really ever use the M16A3/A4 unless I'm trying to use the underslung/M26 attachment, though I prefer the AEK971 for capping points due to it's ability to dump bullets into people.

have you used the AN94? it's supposedly incredibly accurate with its two shot burst but in my experience it's just garbage

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 20, 2012, 04:18 PM

I do play a lot of TDM if I want to get some quick games in so that's where most my service stars for Recon come from.
That makes a ton of sense. I used that class with a shotty when I was doing STDM.

have you used the AN94? it's supposedly incredibly accurate with its two shot burst but in my experience it's just garbage
That's near the bottom of my list. I'll probably do the F2000 next.

Related question: Lately I've noticed some issues where I rapidly pull the gun's trigger, but it seems like it doesn't respond to all the pulls (causing me to die). It should be noted that I'm on burst fire mode at these times. Now, when I was using the FAMAS I never ran into issues, but I wonder if I'm dealing with some kind of fire rate cap or odd lag or something else entirely here.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2012, 04:19 PM

seems as if weapons are going to get tweaked in the next patch, supposedly out by end of March: symthic.com • View topic - Upcoming patch changes [Official data from DICE]

some interesting values there. a lot of weapons are getting a buffed damage but they're adjusting recoil values...
bolt actions get 1 hit kill within 15meters...

looks like autoshotgun frags are getting nerfed finally!
( Last edited by abbaZaba; Mar 20, 2012 at 04:57 PM. )

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2012, 04:23 PM

That's near the bottom of my list. I'll probably do the F2000 next.
F2000 rate of fire is the highest in the game, I think, but horribly inaccurate. You'll most likely hate it.

Related question: Lately I've noticed some issues where I rapidly pull the gun's trigger, but it seems like it doesn't respond to all the pulls (causing me to die). It should be noted that I'm on burst fire mode at these times. Now, when I was using the FAMAS I never ran into issues, but I wonder if I'm dealing with some kind of fire rate cap or odd lag or something else entirely here.
I know for a fact there was a bug in the KH2002, which is burst only, where when you were rapidly pulling the trigger, it would "jam". I read that this was a bug and not an intended feature. I can attest that this has happened to me, but the KH2002 is pretty much the only assault rifle I use in burst mode. I don't know if this "jamming" bug was in other burst modes on other guns.

Dex13
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2012, 09:14 PM

tons of fun dakar, just couldn't communicate with you guys, were you in a party?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 20, 2012, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dex13 View Post
tons of fun dakar, just couldn't communicate with you guys, were you in a party?
Yes, I sent you two invites to it over the course of the evening. I'm assuming this means you didn't see them or they're blocked…?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 21, 2012, 10:03 AM

Well, got my first knife service star last night, and finished up my rounds of Squad TDM to unlock the final AR. Guess I now have to eat some Rush at some point to unlock some of those those final guns.

Non-stealth brag: Since I posted my stats on the other page I already added another 20 MVP1 ribbons to my stack. Must have been in a groove last week. I finally feel like I have my shooting legs under me after those months of MW3.

Next up, I need to start working on my support class skills.

badidea
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2012, 08:05 AM

I have no idea why DICE put "Fire in the Sky" as the second co-op mission. It's ridiculously hard, almost entirely because flying helis is not simple. It feels like a challenge to see how long til you **** up. Did it twice this weekend as pilot, and choked twice, the second time I'm pretty sure right at the end. Frustrating, as I can play any other co-op mission til its done. Awfulawfulawful.
Maybe because they only tested it on a PC and not on the PS3!?
For me and a friend that is/was the easiest of the co-op missions! Absolutely no problem. Fun in the air! Next victim on the ground please...
(and I suck in BF3. Still haven't played much Multi-Player. Still Level 2.)

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 22, 2012, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post
Maybe because they only tested it on a PC and not on the PS3!?
For me and a friend that is/was the easiest of the co-op missions! Absolutely no problem. Fun in the air! Next victim on the ground please...
(and I suck in BF3. Still haven't played much Multi-Player. Still Level 2.)
This doesn't make sense. Flying a helicopter is supposed to be even worse on m/kb.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 22, 2012, 09:57 AM

C'mon!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 23, 2012, 12:13 PM

Can not get over hump...

I blew a capture (stepped out right as we took B), but otherwise I did the math on my metals and I had 30+ revives that game. Of course, they're all not "high quality" ones, but still. Sheesh.

---

Had the quintessential XBOX Live experience last night. Start of game on Firestorm, manage to snag Gunner in the Viper, Pilot proceeds to almost crash right off take-off, but lands it. And waits. And then I realize. He wants me out because his buddy is waiting nearby.

This then turns into a minute of the worst piloting you've ever seen, in spawn, repeatedly bouncing off objects, damaging the chopper, trying to get me to bail. After two minutes, he finally goes for the gusto and just crashes us both, ending the ordeal.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 26, 2012, 11:32 AM

I cracked out on BF3 this weekend. Just destroyed most of the games, added like 20 more MVPs to my total, did a "Prestige" a half, the works.

About the only real noteworthy thing was I was playing Canals last night and the Little Bird pilot(s) were flying low. So I blasted them with a tank. I successfully did this 5 times. I'd done it all of once before. It was ridiculous.

Speaking of little birds, on Damavand I also had an encounter with one hovering over our home capture point. Couple blasts from my F2000, he dies, I grab the heli and we're off to the races.

F2000 rate of fire is the highest in the game, I think, but horribly inaccurate. You'll most likely hate it.
I think I'm rapidly adjusting to the game now, but I swear the F2000 with RDS, grip and suppressor might be the mosts table full auto I've used. I remember a few games on Grand Bazaar where it was almost laser like. Already but 200 kills on it.

There's an odd dichotomy going on, though. It has my highest kpm, but my worst AR accuracy. Can't parse what that means.

---

Speaking of weapons, the PDW AS-VAL ain't bad. I've been using it as an alternate to level up my Support and Recon classes when I don't think I can use standard weapons and it's a bastard. Clip is small, but it's a laser and dumps the ammo very quickly. Up close it's a murder machine.

Chips G
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 27, 2012, 12:37 AM

I still find it weird that I couldn't see the third seat in the tank when you were in it Dakar. I always get sad about how good this game this game could be if they just put a LITTLE more time into the polish (/ fixing of major bugs).

I think they are going to have a hard time selling my on any expansions if they don't fix the 'spawn on TOP of the plane/helicopter bug.
This signature is obsolete.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 30, 2012, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Chips G View Post
I still find it weird that I couldn't see the third seat in the tank when you were in it Dakar. I always get sad about how good this game this game could be if they just put a LITTLE more time into the polish (/ fixing of major bugs).
Speaking of patches, if anyone has been following the news, I am definitely not excited for it. While the USAS frag rounds and MAV elevators are annoying as hell, it sounds like they've tweaked vehicle dynamics so much that it's going to play significantly differently. I understood their tweaking the engineer's torch to heal slower, but apparently tanks now destroy each other with ease. Like, two shells, ease. From what I've heard tanks aren't worth healing anymore because they just blow up too quickly.

They've also nerfed/modified most of the weapons, but I'm less concerned about that because I'm showing improved adaptability on that front. But it does sound like my preferred grip/suppressor combo is getting nerfed as it was seen as too advantageous.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 30, 2012, 10:29 AM

Also, good times the other night, Dex. Sorry, but it was too late for me to bother with the mic.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2012, 11:00 AM

It seems like they're evening the weapons across the board such that it'll just be "pick whatever looks coolest". We'll see how it goes....

Leonard
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2012, 11:56 AM

it sounds like they've tweaked vehicle dynamics so much that it's going to play significantly differently. I understood their tweaking the engineer's torch to heal slower, but apparently tanks now destroy each other with ease. Like, two shells, ease. From what I've heard tanks aren't worth healing anymore because they just blow up too quickly.
See that's what I hate. Vehicles that are too easy to kill. So easy, they become death-traps rather than an advantage.

I think Homefront almost had a nice balance. There were times that you could keep a tank or helicopter for minutes and other times when your tank or helicopter would only last a few seconds.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 30, 2012, 12:03 PM

I don't know what they're goal was. Yeah sometimes there'll be infinite tank battles when both sides have an engineer, but those are rare. Once a second vehicle, or anti-tank infantry enter the fray, the scales tip and destruction becomes an inevitability. Sure, in the rarest of cases maybe there's two engineers fighting off the onslaught hitting the tank, but to me, that's incredible team work.

The only thing I can think is they want to prevent people from soloing successfully on tanks for entire games – Something I excel at. But that doesn't explain it either, I don't think; RPG and SMAW damage vs tanks remains unchanged (Javelins have been buffed, but honestly, they needed it; I was finding it difficult to justify they're use with the long lock-on times and limited use).

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 30, 2012, 12:33 PM

My grammar has been horrific lately.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2012, 10:49 PM

Lack of MW3 with Fatty causes dumben-ing

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 2, 2012, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Lack of MW3 with Fatty causes dumben-ing
Nice try. Playing with pubs, maybe. It's a real shame this game got buried by MW3, because its very good.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 2, 2012, 10:13 AM

Weekend Notes

Been trying to get a service star on all ARs and Carbines. Did the AN-94 this weekend, and my good is that thing a steaming pile. Shame this game doesn't show weapon k/d.
Now I'm down to the L85A2 and the KH2002 and I'll be all done with ARs (Not counting undermounted attachments). After that I may move on to unlocking all attachments.

Accomplishments this weekend: My first Support service star, and the IFV service star. I also got a boatload of metals, and managed an M-COM attacker ribbon for one of the few Rush games I played. I've been doing the Infantry Skirmish server (Mix of COnquest, Rush, TDM on smaller maps). Quite like it, though its a little TDM heavy.

Related: The AS-VAL is still a bastard. Paired up with G18 I had a few ridiculous runs in TDM. Running as Recon and using TUGs you can do serious damage.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2012, 02:47 PM

Now I'm down to the L85A2 and the KH2002 and I'll be all done with ARs (Not counting undermounted attachments). After that I may move on to unlocking all attachments.
two of my favorites. L85A2 pulls a lot to the upper left, just a heads up

Related: The AS-VAL is still a bastard. Paired up with G18 I had a few ridiculous runs in TDM. Running as Recon and using TUGs you can do serious damage.
it's a great strategy ain't it? I've not used the AS-VAL as much, maybe if an extended mag comes out for it in this patch I will buck up and try to master it but I really hate the 21 shot clip.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 2, 2012, 04:11 PM

Yeah, its funny, the G18 is basically the AS-VAL with three less bullets (!), more recoil and less range. It's somewhere between complimenting it and being utterly redundant.

Don't know why it doesn't have a silencer, but seems fair enough.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2012, 04:32 PM

you can unlock the G18 suppressed....that's what I used for a long time until I unlocked the 93R and liked the burst mode better than the G18's full auto. but if I was trying to be stealth with the TUGS on Recon, I'd definitely use the G18 Suppressed

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 2, 2012, 04:40 PM

Oh yeah, I only use Suppressed Pistols.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2012, 03:15 AM

PC BF3 gamer at work said that he got a 1.5G patch and now all the weapons kick like mofos. Have you guys noticed a difference?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 4, 2012, 09:14 AM

It's been one night and I've been cycling through new weapons constantly, so I can't really weigh in.

Noticed the new tanks, though. One well prepared burst of Shell/Guided Shell/Shell and the entire ordeal is over before it started.

The new suppression isn't ridiculous quite yet, but its only been on night.

Biggest thing that peeved me is they seem to have doubled the deploy time in conquest.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 5, 2012, 12:03 PM

So now that DICE offers rent-a-servers for players, they've infested the search results (found like 1 official server in 8 pages of results last night) and there's no filter to remove them.

DICE, your idiocy astounds me sometimes.

Dex13
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2012, 04:04 PM

wtf.

in rush one round, then conquest, then tdm.

wtf.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 9, 2012, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Dex13 View Post
wtf.

in rush one round, then conquest, then tdm.

wtf.
A few weeks ago Dice introduced new servers with "playlists" featuring either certain map or game combinations. Sounds like you were in one of them.

---

Weekend Notes

• Earned my 5th Tank Service star.
• Earned my support class service star.
• Earned my recon class service star. Recon is much more useful in Rush and TDM. You also can get away with using it on the smaller maps in Conquest, but without a doubt I sacrifice score in doing so. Also, the shotguns can be beast, but I don't get particularly good k/d with them.
• L85A2, KH2002, G18, G53, M27, PDW-R, AKS-74u, SV98 all earned a service star the past week. I believe I now have service stars on all Assault and Engineer weapons minus the co-op ones which are still locked.
• As weapon service stars wind down I've started focusing on ribbons and medals. Earned my first Melee and M-COM Defender ribbons this weekend. I also earned the suppression, carbine, and light machine gun medals.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 10, 2012, 12:03 PM

Oh, before I forget (again) did I see Bogues on this Sunday? Of course the ****er was log gone before I managed to get on.

Anybody up for some co-op? Getting service stars on most of the main weapons has me jonesing to unlock the last few I don't have access to.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Apr 10, 2012, 08:04 PM

Oh, before I forget (again) did I see Bogues on this Sunday? Of course the ****er was log gone before I managed to get on.

Anybody up for some co-op? Getting service stars on most of the main weapons has me jonesing to unlock the last few I don't have access to.
Picked this up over the weekend, wanted to finish off the campaign before i hit multiplayer full time, I'm absolutely down for some co-op on this Dakar.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 11, 2012, 12:36 AM

advanced metro tactics: suppression - YouTube
Greatest thing I've seen in some time.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 11, 2012, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
Picked this up over the weekend, wanted to finish off the campaign before i hit multiplayer full time, I'm absolutely down for some co-op on this Dakar.
Cool, say when.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2012, 12:22 PM

advanced metro tactics: suppression - YouTube
Greatest thing I've seen in some time.
clips like that make me wish I had a PC fast enough to run BF3

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Apr 11, 2012, 10:59 PM

Cool, say when.
Tomorrow (Thursday) around 5/6pm EST? I'll have a few hours if you want to hit co-op

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 12, 2012, 11:07 AM

Normally I'm booked, but looks like we're on Bogues. I'll be on around 5.30 - 5.45.

---

Finally had a bad run with the private servers last night. Had an admin switching one of squad mates involuntarily, and then on a second game where we crushed his team it looks like he booted everyone right as the game was ending, so we all lost credit for the game (though I apparently kept a new ribbon I had earned, even though when I check my stats its obvious the kills didn't get recorded). Bullshit of the highest calibre. The best part? I logged off and went to watch netflix and the admin invited me to a game. WTF?

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2012, 04:22 PM

The best part? I logged off and went to watch netflix and the admin invited me to a game. WTF?
What an ***-hole. He probably ran out of people a few games later and stupidly sent an invite to all recent players maybe? Like you I'd say WTF! He's a ***-hole and he invites people who he pissed off?!?
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2012, 09:53 PM

he ragequit you hard
( Last edited by abbaZaba; Apr 12, 2012 at 10:07 PM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 13, 2012, 09:58 AM

So me and Bogues spent two hours last night doing the co-op and unlocked everything. Which is both great (hey it didn't take that long) and irritating (I couldn't get this done with randoms?).

I'd say there was only one or two actual fun missions, the rest were a chore.

---

I equipped the 93R (Known as the M93 Raffica to Modern Warfare players) and holy shit, that thing is beast. The M1911 has a lot of kick, G17 takes a lot of bullets, and the G18 sprays, but the 93R? Absolute destruction. Burst firing, little recoil, accurate as hell. One night of playing and I already have 30+ kills on it (though a lot of them were defending M-COMs). Highly recommended. The one caveat: It's not silenced (which would be utterly broken if it was).

Otherwise, I guess I'll go on a journey this weekend to get service stars on the new Assault and Engineer weapons.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2012, 01:30 PM

So me and Bogues spent two hours last night doing the co-op and unlocked everything. Which is both great (hey it didn't take that long) and irritating (I couldn't get this done with randoms?).

I'd say there was only one or two actual fun missions, the rest were a chore.

---

I equipped the 93R (Known as the M93 Raffica to Modern Warfare players) and holy shit, that thing is beast. The M1911 has a lot of kick, G17 takes a lot of bullets, and the G18 sprays, but the 93R? Absolute destruction. Burst firing, little recoil, accurate as hell. One night of playing and I already have 30+ kills on it (though a lot of them were defending M-COMs). Highly recommended. The one caveat: It's not silenced (which would be utterly broken if it was).

Otherwise, I guess I'll go on a journey this weekend to get service stars on the new Assault and Engineer weapons.
I told you the 93R is a beast. Report back with what you think of the SG553

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Apr 16, 2012, 05:41 PM

Battlelog App for iOS Released

I remember reading about this prior to the B3 release and was shocked when i looked last week that it wasn't out on the app store.

It's a good app with some decent connectivity and stats, actually quite impressive. I'll be glad to have this as i move into B3 multiplayer full time.

EDIT:
Few screens from my iPhone 4S
(Dakar, hope you don't mind I'm posting your friend page on my app along with)

Main page:

Unlocks:

Friend's Stats:
( Last edited by Kevin Bogues; Apr 16, 2012 at 05:51 PM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 17, 2012, 09:43 AM

Another week gone by, another load of accomplishments:

• From the Service Star files: Assault Class SS, followed by G3A3, M320, and M26 Mass. I do believe this successfully completes Assault Class weapons list.
• Engineer: Finally got destroy an occupied vehicle with the repair tool (on my first try). Now I only have one more weapon on assignment left to unlock.
• Recon Class: Putting most of time in here. Got service stars for the MK11 Mod 0, SVD, and QBU-88.Liking the EMR, by the L96 is awful. Spent a game using the iron sights and it would miss people point blank. Couldn't figure out why.
• Miscellaneous weapons: Service stars earned for the PP-2000, PP-19, 870MCS, DAO-12, and the M93. After using high recoil weapons, the PP-19 can feel like a real killer.

Been using the MP7, and it sucks, hard. Feels like it take an entire clip (20) to kill a person. Also ended up on a high ticket count game on Oman (1300?). Took 1h 45m to complete. Brutal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules