Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Question about most recent MacBooks

Question about most recent MacBooks
mac410
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2007, 04:14 PM

Hi All,

I'm new to the boards and just wanted to ask a quick question about the latest generation of MacBooks (C2D 2.0GHz - 2.16GHz). I currently am using a Lenovo ThinkPad T60 (T2400 1.83GHz) and have seriously been considering selling it and making the switch to a MacBook. I must admit I really like the BlackBook, but think that even the most affordable White MacBook is good enough for my needs (internet, simple photo editing, music, movies, word processing). My question is if all of the old defects of the previous MacBook generations, such as discoloration and heat-issues have been resolved. I was thinking of getting the BlackBook to avoid the discoloration issue, but can't stand the idea of paying a premium for a color haha. Any comments would greatly be appreciated!

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 28, 2007, 04:37 PM

I have black, love it.
If you don't want tp pay the premium, buy a refurb. Heck, buy a refurb even if you get white!

I can't comment on discolartion, I have black.

I have a 2.0 c2d. It gets warm, but nothing out of spec, and nothing uncomfortable. Min eis perfectly in operating range, and it only gets hot if I'm actually stressing it. I say, go buy it.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2007, 05:02 PM

Black is beautiful, but it does show fingerprints and greasy smears most dreadfully and is hardly worth the surcharge... Buy white and put a Skin on it. Or buy a Speck transparent case for the top so that you can put your own photos underneath it. You'll be able to endlessly change the appearance.

SeeThru Hard Case for 13" MacBook

And you know you're going to be needing the money you save to buy Office--unless you're into open source. And since it's already August, sounds like you're not in such a hurry that you couldn't wait till Leopard comes out in October. By which time, there may be some other choices, or such not.

mac410  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2007, 05:15 PM

Thanks for the comments guys! I'm currently at a Mac Store playing with the white MacBook, though the BlackBooks directly in front of me look very tempting... Decisions decisions...

Andrew88088
Jul 28, 2007, 06:47 PM

I just bought a new white MacBook (C2D 2.16) a few week ago. I love this thing so much. From what I've gathered, all of those issues have been resolved with this line up.. (thankfully as I was bad and didn't research as well as I should have and got it on a whim)

mac410  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2007, 07:12 PM

I'm still not sure which one I should get. I don't think you can go wrong with either one!

Andrew88088
Jul 28, 2007, 07:19 PM

I do like the black ones, but I've always loved the white. I had an iBook G3 back in the day for a short time and always loved the fact that it was white.
I got the $1299 white one.. since you get a 50% bigger HD and a Superdrive for only $200 more.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2007, 07:33 PM

Go to macintouch.com and read up on the Macbook. You'll also find links to the MB with rebates at amazon.com (where you'll save more $ since there's no sales tax.)

cagljevic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2007, 09:55 PM

i use a thinkpad at work each day and recently started bringing my blacbook to work also. with an upgraded 160gb 7200rpm hard drive and the 2gb of ram, this macbook is a champion. i run windows xp in bootcamp to do my windows only work and flip back into os x when i want to do everything else. once i made the jump to a mac my stress levels with computers went way down and enjoyment went way up. good luck with your decision.
13.3" MacBook Black 2.16GHz, 4GB DDR-2, 200GB 7200rpm

Forum Links
Forum Rules