Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Switching from PC to MAC

Switching from PC to MAC
jonelr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2008, 05:03 PM

I will be switching from a PC to an Intel MAC soon. I want to be able to use multiple monitors, either 2 or 3. I am trying to avoid buying a Mac Pro (kind of pricey for an office). I was thinking of a MAC Mini or an iMAC. Would either of these work with multiple DVI monitors? I want to be able to install Windows, but plan to use it for only a couple of programs that won't run on the MAC. I would like a minimum of 2GB ram, maybe more if possible. What would you suggest?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2008, 06:32 PM

What sort of apps are you going to run? What are you going to do with them?

You can use a Matrox DualHead2Go/TripleHead2Go to add more monitors, albeit at limited resolutions. I'd strongly consider a refurb Mac Pro.

jonelr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2008, 12:41 PM

Office environment programs. The only things that I will need Windows for are an Access database and an older version of Quickbooks.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2008, 01:29 PM

I'd say go for a refub Mac Pro, or maybe a used PowerMac G5. An iMac can support 2 monitors (its built in one and then one added on).

BTW, its Mac not MAC.
Signature depreciated.

OreoCookie
Jan 18, 2008, 03:17 PM

If you need more than two monitors, you need a Mac Pro. If two suffice (they usually do), then an iMac or any of the mobile Macs fit your bill as well.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

jonelr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2008, 04:21 PM

2 monitors will be fine, probably.
Would I be able to get the max resolution (1680x1050) out of the iMac? Also, if using the iMac, how would the different monitors (the one with iMac & the 20" Flatron Wide that I have) work together?
I will start looking at the Mac Pro again...it is pricy. I will see about refurbs. Thank you.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2008, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by jonelr View Post
2 monitors will be fine, probably.
Would I be able to get the max resolution (1680x1050) out of the iMac? Also, if using the iMac, how would the different monitors (the one with iMac & the 20" Flatron Wide that I have) work together?
I will start looking at the Mac Pro again...it is pricy. I will see about refurbs. Thank you.
The iMac can power 2 20" at 1650x1050 rez (I have one set up in that configuration). I don't know about the Flatron tho, different 3rd party displays behave differently with Macs so it might not look right.
Signature depreciated.

jonelr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2008, 06:30 PM

Thanks for your help. I will look at the refurbs first and then compare pricewise to see what I can get.

Forum Links
Forum Rules