Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Remember when ....

Remember when ....
msuper69
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2010, 12:15 PM

most new products came out for Windows first, Macs later if ever?

This little toy really appeals to the techno-geek in me but also is a toy I would have loved to have had when I was little:

Parrot AR.Drone - How does it work? - AR.Drone specifications

That's why I like "It was initially designed for the Apple platforms and will be also available on other platforms in the next few months.".

Such a statement would have been rare indeed back in the day.

"The Times They Are A-Changin'" Bob Dylan (and very apropos).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 16, 2010, 12:17 PM

I'm going to go ahead and hamstring your assertion by pointing out that this for iDevices and not a Mac. I'll be impressed when something comes out for an actual mac first. Otherwise, this makes a lot of business sense.

msuper69  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2010, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I'm going to go ahead and hamstring your assertion by pointing out that this for iDevices and not a Mac. I'll be impressed when something comes out for an actual mac first. Otherwise, this makes a lot of business sense.
True. But this is an indication of how much pull Apple is having on industry partners/competitors. I'd love to see the Mac sell like the iDevices. Not impossible but still a pipe dream for now.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 16, 2010, 12:24 PM

I don't think it's that surprising the iPhone has this much pull. Yesterday was an un-subtle reminder of that.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2010, 01:52 PM

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
( Last edited by osiris; Jun 21, 2010 at 09:49 AM. )
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2010, 07:23 PM

Now that I spend a lot more time in Windows, I've found something very interesting about software availability. When you're primarily a Mac user you imagine that Windows has all kinds of software not found on OS X. But in truth there is great independent Mac software that I can't find good equivalents for on Windows. For example, I love MacJournal for notes and other short form information. Thankfully at some point a Windows version called WinJournal came out, but aside from that I can't find a single decent notes application for Windows. (Don't say Notepad please.) The only third party notes apps I can find for Windows are knock offs of Stickies, which Windows already has built-in. It really changes one's view on software availability.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2010, 02:54 AM

There appear to be a handful of things that just aren't there for Mac.

But all the stuff you take for granted as good and free on the Mac, it seems like under windows, there's one freeware app and forty shareware apps, twenty-five of which are rebadged versions of exactly the same thing for varying prices, and six of the rest are repackaged versions of the freeware app for ripoff prices.

design219
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2010, 01:44 PM

That thing is pretty damn cool. I can see the potential for all sorts of mischief with that.

I'd like to see the military version (and I'm sure they have them).

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Forum Links
Forum Rules