Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Help! I need to Receive Wifi @ a Distance then re-broadcast using WDS

Help! I need to Receive Wifi @ a Distance then re-broadcast using WDS
crunnells
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2008, 05:59 PM

First, let me present to you my problem. I live in on campus apartments at my university which feature an absolutely horrible "high speed internet" connection. These apartments are contracted to another proprietor other than the university itself, and their internet as I have discovered is managed by some no-name third party company, who in years previous, has been reported purchasing too-little bandwidth from the regional backbone operator, so basically everyone who lives here is definitely getting the shaft compared to other dorm and on-campus residents. I have performed several speed/ping tests and the results dumbfounded me with bandwidth amounts no greater than your average 1995 56k dial up (no joke!). Also, I have confirmed the speed issues with not only my roommate, but other friends in different buildings as well as in other phases to make sure my problem was not localized to my machine or something like that.

So Here's what I'd like to do, The On-Campus Wifi (which is pretty fast) is about 500-600 meters away from where I live, so I'd like to harness that signal. Sometimes the stock airport card in my imac can see the network but it usually appears and disappears, therefore i am too far away to establish a working connection but at least its visible (sometimes)! I reckon that I could establish a pretty good connection using a direction cantenna aka ( http://www.cantenna.com/) If this works I'd like to take that signal (which bye the way, is secured through a login web page aka. starbucks style) and redistribute it a wifi network in my own apartment.. any suggestions?

coreythemagnificent46
Steven Landon
Marketplace Fame
Sep 11, 2008, 06:47 PM

Ive done this same thing before.. what you'll want is a DLINK GWL 950 Wireless gaming adapter. My set up was this. I had the cantenna connected to the gaming adapter and the gaming adapter ethernet plugged into my own wifi router worked great. Also if you want more gain on the antenna take an old surplus satellite dish and mount the cantenna as the feedhorn.. set your elevation to zero on the dish.. and youll pick up access points 8 miles away.

crunnells  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2008, 08:07 PM

I did a google search as well as went to d-links website and found no such model, are you sure thats the model #?

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 12, 2008, 09:06 PM

I think he meant the DWL 950.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules