Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Oem?

Oem?
bbales
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2009, 04:09 PM

I'm about to bite the bullet and actually install windows on my 2007 iMac. I have to be able to run quicken for Windows -- converting into Mac didn't work so well, and, frankly, I'd have to reconvert it when my term is done. (Obviously this is not my own personal stuff I'm working on.)

So I'm looking at all this Windows stuff and I THINK I understand that an OEM version is one that was supposed to have shipped with a machine opr some kind of hardware? It seems a little dicey to buy it that way -- seems like people are throwing in a thumb drive or whatever to get around that. At the same time, I can find all kinds of those on ebay, which SEEM to be OK and relatively new or brand new in many cases.

Or would I be better off just buying from newegg? I'm about to think that the time I'm wasting on this, I could be working for clients and generating income to make up the difference...

Also -- I have parallels, but it's older. I'll probably upgrade. But it seems to me I recall that I could install the Windows part on a separate external hard drive. That would be my preference -- as our Windows machine (on which my quicken stuff was located) got a virus of some kind andis dying...

Thanks in advance.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2009, 06:36 PM

Why pay for a copy of Windows? Run Quicken in WINE on your Mac, it's rated as a gold application:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...cation&iId=107

bbales  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2009, 06:43 PM

Never heard of this one! And I followed the link (briefly -- will have to spend more time later) and the version I'm using (2006 home and business) is only a bronze, if that makes any difference.
Thanks.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2009, 06:50 PM

It is bronze in a slightly older version of the beta of the next stable version of WINE. I'd try it on the latest beta, the latest stable, and investigate using the Crossover Office demo (Crossover is the commercial version of WINE): http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibi...e/?app_id=1393

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2009, 01:31 PM

OEM versions of Windows are identical to retail versions. The difference is that you get no support from Microsoft when you're running an OEM license; the OEM is supposed to provide the support.

If you want to pick up a copy of Windows, buy OEM on Newegg - it's significantly cheaper than buying retail.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2009, 01:43 PM

OEM licenses also don't transfer from machine to machine. I don't think Microsoft really enforces it, but just FYI.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2009, 03:19 PM

There's also this.

But if you're buying an OEM license from a site like Newegg, you can install it on whatever you want.

And, no - MS doesn't enforce OEM licensing restrictions when it comes to activation. Some OEMs (Dell in particular) use OEM versions of Windows that don't even require activation.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules