Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Get ready to produce 'Tablet Editions' :)

Get ready to produce 'Tablet Editions' :)
bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2003, 12:44 PM

If certain predictions (and my gut feeling/deepest desires) hold true, we may need to start producing 'tablet editions' of our themes - with desktops in both horizontal and vertical orientations. We may also see a resurgence in 'sketch' style themes (I myself may flesh out a nice black 'sharpie' felt-tip-on-white theme design I've been playing with). Fun fun!

Word is that apple is planning to introduce something BIG at Macworld, and it ain't a new airport standard... it will likely be a 'digital sketchpad' Mac - a new tablet line that will be successful as both stand-alone portable Mac solution and a must-have accessory for any digital artist worth his/her salt. Inkwell will finally have a purpose... GUI-wise, Apple's focus on the vertical and conservative stance on horizontal screen real-estate finally makes sense (think instant pivot to the vertical orientation). It's all coming together

And if this does come about, I've got a 2nd-generation 550 mhz PowerBook G4 with 256 MB RAM that I'll be selling cheap in a heartbeat... a few bumps and bruises but she works like a charm

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2003, 01:07 PM

apple playing copy cat? Thats a first.

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2003, 01:25 PM

Not really copy cat - if they position a new tablet line as the 'ultimate digital sketchpad/canvas', then it's a different take altogether... Microsoft and the other TabletPC manufacturers are positioning their products as portable digital notepads - business tools rather than creative tools... good luck even trying to find out how many levels of pressure-sensitivity they have in the specs anywhere. Besides, Apple wasn't the first to produce an MP3 player, but they did produce the best ever. Wacom played a substantial role in the Inkwell technology, Apple has had some of the best handwriting recognotion in the industry for some time, plus a substantial portion of their already installed base would jump on a product like this I only use my Powerbook for working/surfing on the deck, really... and there isn't a single creative (I know) who didn't drool when they first saw the Cintiq LCD tablet. The many many thousands of Mac input-tablet users have had to adapt to the unnatural sensation of drawing in your lap while looking at the screen - I bet every single one has imagined how cool it would be to actually be able to draw directly on the screen itself. I also imagine this device would link up to an existing Powermac as a 'second monitor' in some sort of slave mode as well. I guess we'll see on Tuesday...

It would be really interesting to see what kind of impact this might have on theming/pirate UI development as well. Suddenly a button-driven desktop makes much more sense... I'm looking forward to creating tablet-specific scripts and such as well. Very cool!

Dace
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2003, 01:54 PM

So this will be portable? 'Cause I know Sony already has a pc with a "tablet " screen....and they target it towards artist.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 5, 2003, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by godzookie2k:
Yeah what was that Newton all about?

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2003, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Yeah what was that Newton all about?
Heh, exactly!

moofman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2003, 05:28 PM

Copycat? PSHA! Apple will be, by far, the best in this arena. As Steve is so fond of saying, Apple is the only company that still makes the whole widget. EVERYTHING you need for a tablet, Apple already does. From Airport/Bluetooth to Inkwell, it's all in place for a phenominal piece of equipment, and I'm sure it'll be gorgeous on top of that. Plus, Microsoft, if that's who you're referring to, was not the first person to have tablet PCs. I know for a fact that Ochner's hosptial in New Orleans has had them for at least two years for patients and guests to use. No, they're not the fastest, prettiest, or best tablet, but they're quite functional for their purpose. I don't remember which company made them, but it's not any major computer manufacturer. I'd never heard of the company before...

zazou
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2003, 06:00 PM

Unless they park a whole new 'extras.rsrc' type file on the OS there is nothing so far indicating we would need to redo themes.

X already stretchs and tiles most of its display properties large then widgets and scroll/popup buttons.

Any redo of th UI will equate to a dumbed down X and i just don't hink Apple would attempt to market a 'new device' with a 'lite X'

This doens't mean there is not a tablet... just if there is it will use the same resources already available.

Remeber, etxras.rs.rc determines the look of a 'widget', not its implementation.

Zaz

Haven't you noticed? Chronic cynicism takes no skills, little energy, no education, and if you do it really well in poorly-lit coffee-houses, it gets you laid.

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2003, 06:38 PM

iTablet? Couldn't be called the iPad, too many women would be confused by the name...not to mention complain at the price for one erm, pad...

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2003, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by zazou:
Unless they park a whole new 'extras.rsrc' type file on the OS there is nothing so far indicating we would need to redo themes.

X already stretchs and tiles most of its display properties large then widgets and scroll/popup buttons.

Any redo of th UI will equate to a dumbed down X and i just don't hink Apple would attempt to market a 'new device' with a 'lite X'

This doens't mean there is not a tablet... just if there is it will use the same resources already available.

Remeber, etxras.rs.rc determines the look of a 'widget', not its implementation.

Zaz
Oh for sure - it'll run standard OSX... but it will have a 'portrait' mode and no keyboard - both of which will provide some impetus to think up 'tablet complient' theme/GUI components of all sorts... desktops will come in portrait and landscape, etc... I can also see 'notepad' style themes becoming popular as well

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2003, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by KaptainKaya:
iTablet? Couldn't be called the iPad, too many women would be confused by the name...not to mention complain at the price for one erm, pad...
LOL. That was a good one. Wow, yeah I wonder what it would be like to have a PowerBook tablet edition. There have been times where I've wanted to use a certain desktop picture as my wallpaper. But because of the horizontal nature of computers now, I wasn't able to use it with the head in the picture chopped off or the resolution affected. This might be interesting indeed.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2003, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by godzookie2k:
Not really, they had a prototype tablet in '90.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2003, 11:53 PM

oh come on now, MS flat out beat em to the market with a (remotely) successful tablet. how successful only time will tell. they are STILL too overpriced.

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2003, 11:56 PM

Sure did. Here's to 2003, where Apple should have one stellar year...

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2003, 09:50 AM

So here's the question: to which side will it lean? Proprietary OS or OS X? All depends on size. If its got a larger screen it'll probably use OS X or some lighter variation. Smaller screen then it'll have its own OS.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2003, 12:46 AM

D'oh! :o

Forum Links
Forum Rules