Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Stupid question about the mac bar

Stupid question about the mac bar
sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2003, 10:27 AM

I've always wondered why the bar at the top of the screen is rounded sometimes and solid other times, can anyone enlight me?

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2003, 03:25 PM

not sure if this is what you're asking...

the default appearance control panel "theme" has a flat bar.

some people run custom "themes", changing the look of mac windows, menus...and the menubar.

you can check them out here:

http://www.resexcellence.com/themes/index_10.shtml

(os 8.6 - 9.2.2 only)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

sushiism  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2003, 04:09 PM

nah thats not it, this is what i mean:

the top left corner is rounded, the imacs in the labs at university have round edges like this, but some of the g4's dont and my powerbook doesnt if i boot in 9. I was just curious as to what decides if they're rounded or square stupid question i know

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2003, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by sushiism:
nah thats not it, this is what i mean:

the top left corner is rounded, the imacs in the labs at university have round edges like this, but some of the g4's dont and my powerbook doesnt if i boot in 9. I was just curious as to what decides if they're rounded or square stupid question i know
change the position of your screen through displays or wherever and or take a screen shot of your desktop to see if they are there.. most likely they are just off the side of the screen a bit.

int69h
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2003, 08:49 PM

If he had posted a shot showing both sides of the menubar, I'm positive the right corner of the menubar would have been rounded as well.

I wasn't aware that the menubar didn't have rounded corners on some Macs. I've always found it to be a nice touch, one of those things that sets Apple apart from the competition.

sushiism  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2003, 11:21 PM

well either both are rounded or both are square, its not my screen becuase im on a powerbook and have booted into 9 once, and the imacs in the labs have rounded corners but the powermacs dont its strange

Cipher13
Jan 20, 2003, 01:23 AM

Without taking into account themes - all desktop Macs have a rounded title bar. All laptop Macs have a square one.

I'm not sure about desktop Macs with an LCD. I haven't really used one under OS9 for very long.

It is possible the desktop Macs image had been extended beyond the bounds of the screen.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2003, 04:20 PM

I think there was a conversation about this awhile ago. As Cipher stated, CRTs are supposed to have beveled top corners so that the screens can be adjusted properly more easily. LCDs are supposed to be square because they need no adjustment. With OS X, however, I think that goes out the window. My iBook has rounded corners under OS X, for example.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

sushiism  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2003, 09:08 PM

thnaks thats what i suspected

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2003, 09:50 PM

i still liked my answer... *snif*
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Forum Links
Forum Rules