Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Question about Airport Extreme Base Stations

Question about Airport Extreme Base Stations
SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2003, 05:22 PM

Hello,

With the prices lower now, I am going to buy one of the Base Stations so I can use my Powerbook (the not so extreme 15" gigahertz model) on my cable connection without wires. Airport and wireless internet stuff is still kind of foreign to me so I have a couple questions:

1) Is there any reason why I want the model with the modem and antennae port? I am not using a modem anymore and I don't know why I would want an antennae port.

2) How is the reception using the TiBook (the reception is apparently a little better using the newer gigahertz model)? I was hoping I could freely walk around my house and use it. There would be several floors separating the various computers, so would they all work?

3) Using the LAN port, can I connect a computer that isnt using the wireless connection to use the cable internet connection that the Base Station would run? Or, must all computers be wireless when using Airport? If thats the case I guess I will have to use a router with the Base Station and the rest of the wired computers...

4) What is the USB port for? Just printer sharing or something?

Its all so confusing! lol.

... and it would work with just about any isp, right?

SwarmyCurve  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2003, 05:55 PM

Another question:

Is it possible that (one day) there will be a 802.11g PCMCIA / CardBus card for my PowerBook?

Do macs work with wireless laptop cards?

schalliol
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2003, 06:22 PM

I believe that you can get a 802.11g card for your PowerBook (maybe not today). The real question is whether they can put one in the Ti AirPort slot. Yes most wireless cards work in Macs (most have them built in so you don't see them) I have a 802.11b card in my PowerBook G3.

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2003, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by SwarmyCurve:
Another question:

Is it possible that (one day) there will be a 802.11g PCMCIA / CardBus card for my PowerBook?

Do macs work with wireless laptop cards?
Belkin make an 802.11g Cardbus card. Look on the UK AppleStore site for info and a pic.

TomHMeredith
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2003, 06:52 PM

in answer to your questions:

Whether you want the model with the modem and external antennae port will depend on how far apart the computers are. My experience with Airport is that unless yor house is full of concrete and steel, or absolutely massive, then you shouldn't have a problem with range. You may want to get the airport with modem and antennae port, just incase the range isn't good enough for you, and then you can add the external antennae. Although, if you live close enough to an Apple reseller, they may let you exchange it if needs be.

I believe that although the Ti 15" doesn't have =amazing= antennae's they are quite usable.

You can connect to the internet via the wired LAN port.

The USB is just for printer sharing.

Hope this helps.

Tom.
What are you looking for? A signature?

SwarmyCurve  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2003, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by Simon X:
Belkin make an 802.11g Cardbus card. Look on the UK AppleStore site for info and a pic.

Could you provide a link? I couldn't find it

thanks!

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2003, 08:54 PM

Could you provide a link? I couldn't find it

thanks!
That's odd, it's been pulled. It was definitely there last week. I even checked the German AppleStore as I think someone mentioned it was for sale there too, but alas, no.

Must mean there's been a delay in availability. It was a standard Cardbus card with a dark grey/black part sticking out, the transmitter I assume. Pretty much like most of the other similar cards.

TomHMeredith
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2003, 10:14 AM

I saw the card too, also can't find it now.

Sure it will be back soon...
What are you looking for? A signature?

ebisix
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2003, 11:40 PM

Hello,

With the prices lower now, I am going to buy one of the Base Stations so I can use my Powerbook (the not so extreme 15" gigahertz model) on my cable connection without wires. Airport and wireless internet stuff is still kind of foreign to me so I have a couple questions:

1) Is there any reason why I want the model with the modem and antennae port? I am not using a modem anymore and I don't know why I would want an antennae port.

2) How is the reception using the TiBook (the reception is apparently a little better using the newer gigahertz model)? I was hoping I could freely walk around my house and use it. There would be several floors separating the various computers, so would they all work?

3) Using the LAN port, can I connect a computer that isnt using the wireless connection to use the cable internet connection that the Base Station would run? Or, must all computers be wireless when using Airport? If thats the case I guess I will have to use a router with the Base Station and the rest of the wired computers...

4) What is the USB port for? Just printer sharing or something?

Its all so confusing! lol.

... and it would work with just about any isp, right?
1. You may want the antennae port if you will be using your laptop very far away from the wireless hub. You will have to buy an antennae if you choose to buy the AirPort with the port. The modem allows you to dial in to one of the computers on your network to share files from a remote location. Personally, I don't think many people will need these features.

2. I have never used the 15" Titanium PowerBook. However, I'm sure the reception couldn't be that bad. I did hear also that the 1 GHz model has a better signal.

3. To my knowledge, not all of the computers have to be hooked up wirelessly. That is what the LAN port is for. It would be a real pain if not even one could be simply wired.

4. The USB port is for a printer. By plugging it in directly to the hub, all computers on the network should be able to use it. However, I suggest you make sure that the printer is compatible with the AirPort before buying it.

I think that most internet service providers should fine with the AirPort. If you are using AOL, I believe that there is a special piece of software used for sharing. You can always just ask your ISP. Hope this clears up your confusion.

Forum Links
Forum Rules