Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Changes in MacOSX 10.2.4 that affect theming?

Changes in MacOSX 10.2.4 that affect theming?
bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 14, 2003, 01:35 AM

Are there any? I recall that there was some jibba-jabba about possible changes to the HLToolbox or something like that... has Apple castrated our efforts to tweak our systems? Are we screwed? Has anybody updated yet? - I always wait a good week in case any glaring issues come up.

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2003, 01:56 AM

I haven't seen any, all my theme's on my system still apply correctly and work fine.

Mac Guru

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2003, 01:57 AM

I use SmoothStripes 2.5 and its still active after updating to 10.2.4.

"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

nycdunz
Senior User
Feb 14, 2003, 02:09 AM

same here, everything works fine...

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2003, 04:14 AM

Seem like Apple is having soft heart for us at this time

macmike42
Senior User
Feb 14, 2003, 10:04 AM

Does anyone else get the feeling that the /Applications/Utilities folder is Steve's way of saying "OK, you beat me on the theming thing, but I will always have ONE folder whose icon you can NEVER change! Muahahaha!"

It's not a bug, it's vengance.
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2003, 10:48 AM

Nope, seems the HIToolbox didn't change.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

mrtew
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2003, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by macmike42:
Does anyone else get the feeling that the /Applications/Utilities folder is Steve's way of saying "OK, you beat me on the theming thing, but I will always have ONE folder whose icon you can NEVER change! Muahahaha!"

I changed mine!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

mrbiiggy2
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2003, 08:00 PM

I ran aquafix before updating, then rebooted, and installed my theme, and rebooted again... I noticed the boot screen is screwed up, but my machine still boots (I'm using Milk, btw)...

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2003, 08:35 PM

SimpleAqua theme looks fine under 10.2.4.

schep
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2003, 11:28 PM

Originally posted by mrtew:
I changed mine!
<snip>
How? or is that just your default folder icon?

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2003, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by macmike42:

dont be stupid

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Feb 16, 2003, 11:51 AM

Izawa has updated all his theme for 10.2.4 compatibility. I emailed him and asked what changed, but I have not received a response yet.

I tried some of my themes and they seem to work fine. The only trouble was that ThemeChanger had an old Aqua backup that it applied when I switched back and forth between themes.
So my recommendation is that you remove it (from the menu in themechanger) before you start switching themes.

Does any one know if the BootX file changed in 10.2.4?? I think I'm going to update my themes and remove the BootX file, just to make sure the themes wont cause any serious damage in the future.

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2003, 12:45 AM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
Izawa has updated all his theme for 10.2.4 compatibility. I emailed him and asked what changed, but I have not received a response yet.
They've also done something different to their site code - Altavista translations aren't sticking for some reason... when I get some extra time (whenever that is) I was thinking I might look into running either a parallel translated version or an adaptation on my own site - the Altavista Japanese>English translation has always been a little spotty (I've yet to be able to find the sea urchin in Aqua) and it really is the resource I turn to most when trying to figure things out. It would also be nice to elaborate on what's already been compiled with some examples of work-arounds and tricks that people have figured out... always a nod to Izawa and company for their hard work however

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2003, 02:27 AM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
Does any one know if the BootX file changed in 10.2.4?? I think I'm going to update my themes and remove the BootX file, just to make sure the themes wont cause any serious damage in the future.
Why don't you look at the package receipt with Pacifist to find out?

Actually if you look at it, you'll see that they *did* change the /usr/standalone/ppc/bootx.bootinfo file, which is where the system gets the data for the BootX file when it blesses an OS X system folder. However, the 10.2.4 update does not seem to re-bless your disk, so the 10.2.0 BootX file will still be present after the update. However, any new machines with 10.2.4 preinstalled will probably have the new BootX file.

So you should probably have your app run a checksum on the BootX file to determine which one it is before changing anything...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Feb 17, 2003, 04:46 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
So you should probably have your app run a checksum on the BootX file to determine which one it is before changing anything...
Ok, well that's the danger of me having a BootX file in my themes, because the theme does not check if the BootX files is ok to change - it just does it. So if you install the theme on the wrong system version, you are pretty much screwed.

smeger
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2003, 05:08 AM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:
They've also done something different to their site code - Altavista translations aren't sticking for some reason... when I get some extra time (whenever that is) I was thinking I might look into running either a parallel translated version or an adaptation on my own site - the Altavista Japanese>English translation has always been a little spotty (I've yet to be able to find the sea urchin in Aqua) and it really is the resource I turn to most when trying to figure things out. It would also be nice to elaborate on what's already been compiled with some examples of work-arounds and tricks that people have figured out... always a nod to Izawa and company for their hard work however
Translation will work if you disable Javascript in your browser. Also, you're more than welcome to contribute to this, or even to copy it to your site and change it beyond all recognition and then republish it. (although I'd prefer the former, obviously)
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

foobars
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2003, 05:25 AM

HIToolbox has changed, but none of the graphics have. There are some new calls programmers are supposed to use and a few new features...

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2003, 08:35 AM

Originally posted by schep:
How? or is that just your default folder icon?
Just make a new utilities folder on your desktop, toss all the utilities into it and walla (oh yeah, and toss the original).
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2003, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by smeger:
Translation will work if you disable Javascript in your browser. Also, you're more than welcome to contribute to this, or even to copy it to your site and change it beyond all recognition and then republish it. (although I'd prefer the former, obviously)
Well, this is he sort of thing I've been whipping up... not sure if it's of any use to you...

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=146773

mrtew
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2003, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by invisibleX:
Just make a new utilities folder on your desktop, toss all the utilities into it and walla (oh yeah, and toss the original).

I think that has been tried, and I don't think it works. Next time you restart you will have the old default folder icon there instead. Won't you. And to answer the original question... yeah, that is my new default folder icon; I was trying to fool everyone.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2003, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by mrtew:
I think that has been tried, and I don't think it works. Next time you restart you will have the old default folder icon there instead. Won't you. And to answer the original question... yeah, that is my new default folder icon; I was trying to fool everyone.
Of course you'll have the default folder icon, but then you put on a new icon a walla.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

Forum Links
Forum Rules