Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Video card question

Video card question
Dace
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2003, 02:33 PM

Ok, so I'm interested in upgrading my G4 400MHz(Sawtooth) video card. One thing that makes this slightly difficult (and slightly more expensive) is that I have a 17" Apple Studio CRT display that uses ADC. Right now I have the default ATI 128 16Mb video card. I found this NVidia 32Mb video card for a decent price with ADC except that OWC(the vendor) mentions that the ADC won't work on my Power Mac...what gives? ADC works fine on my computer Is this a redesigned ADC with the sole purpose of making my life difficult?

Here's the link:
http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_It...=APL661NV4MX32

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

Dogma
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2003, 03:23 PM

I'm not sure since it's been a while since I had a good look at a Sawtooth's innards, but i 'm sure the ADC implementation was that of a power cable with a clip straight onto the card, rather than the now standard stub after the rest of the PCI connection.

If it's got a small connection slot after the main AGP slot, then it should be okay, however, if it looks like the power is coming from a wire connection, you may be out of luck.

Let us know.
Hark, I hear a robin sig'ing in the trees!
Nae, there is no sog to be sug,
or am I wrog? Why can't I sig?

Dace  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2003, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by Dogma:
I'm not sure since it's been a while since I had a good look at a Sawtooth's innards, but i 'm sure the ADC implementation was that of a power cable with a clip straight onto the card, rather than the now standard stub after the rest of the PCI connection.

If it's got a small connection slot after the main AGP slot, then it should be okay, however, if it looks like the power is coming from a wire connection, you may be out of luck.

Let us know.
Well OWC says that my Mac can't supply the 28v required. But to answer your question, my ATi card isn't powered through a wire...its powered through an extra slot aside the main AGP slot.

Dogma
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2003, 03:45 PM

Hmmm. Could just be that the new Video card takes a bit more Power than the PSU has to spare. I dunno for sure. Anyone else wanna take a stab at it?
Hark, I hear a robin sig'ing in the trees!
Nae, there is no sog to be sug,
or am I wrog? Why can't I sig?

Dace  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2003, 09:33 PM

Well, I just bought one...so I guess I'll have to see what happens when it gets here.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 1, 2003, 02:17 AM

I'm curious to know if it works. I'm expecting a sizzle and a pop, myself. Let us know
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

�tomic
Jul 1, 2003, 02:26 AM

OWC were right. ADC requires 28VDC to operate and the AGP slot on that model PowerMac simply does not have that feature built into it. Running a secondary cable to power it I think is a longshot.

I got a feeling Dace bought a dud for his machine but should work fine in something newer

DrBoar
Senior User
Jul 1, 2003, 11:10 AM

AFAIK the ADC is the only thing that does not work. So using the card for a non ADC monitor is OK. For the ADC you would have to use the DVI connection and then have a DVI to ADC connector that will give power to the ADC screen. The cost of a ADC monitor along with the cost of the DVI-ADC adaptor really preclude the use of current monitors on anyting but ADC native systems

Dace  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 11:53 AM

Well, if it doesn't work with my ADC CRT monitor I'll have to sell it and buy a VGA one. Damn you Apple

Dace  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2003, 02:29 AM

Looks like I actually have a Gigabit Ethernet Power Mac...you live and you learn So I guess the new card I bought will work on my Mac and I now can finally enjoy the perks of Quartz Extreme

Forum Links
Forum Rules