Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > finder taking up 90/100% of the CPU

finder taking up 90/100% of the CPU
sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2003, 07:49 PM

argh this is terrible, for no reason ican see the finder is taking up 90 to 100% of my cpu when im doing absolutely nothing, im on a powerbook and both fans are going when the machine isnt actually doing anything becaues of finder taking up all this proc. I searched the forum and found other posts about this but no real solutions, does anyone know how to solve this because I REALLY hate my powerbook having both fans going all the time, its just not healthy to run at that heat with no other apps but finder and camino open (would have the fans on with just finder open) normally i don't get the fans unless im doing something really intensive.
please helppp
powerbook 800 512meg ram
os 10.2.6
only usb device is a logitech mouse that hasnt given me any problems since ive had it (before xmas)

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2003, 08:07 PM

These may be silly questions, but have you rebooted/logged out? Have you repaired permissions? Run fsck -y? Those are always the things I do first when something such as this comes up.

Laserbutt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2003, 12:10 AM

This could just be pre-binding going on. If you recently installed system software it may not have correctly run pre-binding after the install. Use the terminal whe you cpu is going hard:
Enter:

top -u

Watch for the process thats at the top of the list most of the time and renice it

sudo renice -20 (process ID here)

that may speed it up.
The above suggestion for running fsck is a good idea.

Brazuca
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2003, 01:28 AM

I had this problem when I was trying to use an unsupported CDRW. The kernel would thrash, taking over the CPU for minutes at a time.

Are you doing anything out of the ordinary?
"It's about time trees did something good insted of just standing there LIKE JERKS!" :)

sushiism  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 9, 2003, 10:06 AM

i did restart/log out then i as aobut to do a fsck but i didnt hold down the key quick enougha nywy so i ended up back on the desktop, then i noticed it only seemed to start doing it when i went in a certain folder. Nope doing nothing out of the ordinary and i havent installed anything this week. I'll try a fsck and repair permissions later tonight

Brazuca
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2003, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by sushiism:
i did restart/log out then i as aobut to do a fsck but i didnt hold down the key quick enougha nywy so i ended up back on the desktop, then i noticed it only seemed to start doing it when i went in a certain folder. Nope doing nothing out of the ordinary and i havent installed anything this week. I'll try a fsck and repair permissions later tonight
hehe..."a certain folder". some .avi files do that....

"It's about time trees did something good insted of just standing there LIKE JERKS!" :)

sushiism  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 9, 2003, 02:19 PM

ahh it had an avi or two in and some folders, i wasnt in column view so there was no preview pane, can avis cause this in regular view? and keep finder taxing the system after the folders closed?

jfischetti
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2003, 02:34 PM

....must be all the DeBug Code�.....
"....and the capital of Nebraska is Lincoln!"

Brazuca
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2003, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by sushiism:
ahh it had an avi or two in and some folders, i wasnt in column view so there was no preview pane, can avis cause this in regular view? and keep finder taxing the system after the folders closed?
I don't know exactly. I do know that in the Finder, Quicktime tries to load a preview of the movie and some .avi files cause it to choke for some time.

This could be the culprit.

Forum Links
Forum Rules