Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > finder toolbar icons turned in to default blank paper icon

finder toolbar icons turned in to default blank paper icon
sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 18, 2003, 05:54 PM

my finder toolbar icons, some of them have turned into the blank default file icon, anyone know how to get them back or why this happened?
note ive never used candybar or customized them

suthercd
Senior User
Aug 18, 2003, 09:36 PM

The only time I have seen this is when I deleted part of /System while booted into it. I thought I was deleting that directory from another partition, but noooooooo. Pure brain fade and I felt like such an idiot....well... I was an idiot to be using rm and be distracted.

Were you or had you been using the Terminal to move or delete files?

Craig

sushiism  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 18, 2003, 09:46 PM

nope nothing like that at all, nothing unusual just websites/im and illustrator

rebooting may fix it but im kinda worried its a sign that a reboot will just mean its broken, you know things being broken but its stuff it needs to boot not run like, bah im just paranoid because its my first mac and its nearly gone a whole year since ive got it without a single problem

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2003, 10:08 PM

It is not an omen. Just log out and log back in if you can; otherwise, reboot. You probably have not rebooted in a while so the Finder probably lost its ways grasping for RAM. Heck. Just reboot so you can flush out your virtual memory space.
I, ASIMO.

sushiism  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2003, 09:16 AM

hmm well i logged back in and that fixed the icons but for some reason i tried to change my backdrop and it wouldnt change till i logged out and in, so i rebooted and now my mouse feels way faster than normal but the backgrounds work again erm after the desktop panel not appearing on try. Gah hope its nothing serious or the desktop panel not appearing was just a fluke bug

Forum Links
Forum Rules