Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > [ANN] CSSEdit 1.6

[ANN] CSSEdit 1.6
Jan Van Boghout
Mar 13, 2004, 03:31 PM

I'm pleased to announce CSSEdit 1.6, with tons of optimizations, bug fixes and feature additions. Check it out at http://www.macrabbit.com/cssedit/ .

A full list of what's new: http://www.macrabbit.com/cssedit/versionhistory.html
Direct download link: http://www.macrabbit.com/cssedit/CSSEdit.dmg

Enjoy!

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 13, 2004, 03:40 PM

Nice update, keep up the good work .

sandsl
Senior User
Mar 13, 2004, 05:24 PM

Yup, nice update thanks - CSSEdit is still the only piece of shareware I've bought myself

Nice update to the website too. Hows CSSEdit 2 coming along? Anything to tell us yet ? I notice adam betts is doing the icons for it...
Luke

Jan Van Boghout  (op)
Mar 13, 2004, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by sandsl:
Hows CSSEdit 2 coming along? Anything to tell us yet ? I notice adam betts is doing the icons for it...
Not much to say yet. Still mostly ideas and lots of separate projects on my hard drive

sandsl
Senior User
Mar 13, 2004, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by Jan Van Boghout:
Not much to say yet. Still mostly ideas and lots of separate projects on my hard drive
Well I won't rush you keep up the good work! Off topic but are you working on anything else cool?
Luke

Jan Van Boghout  (op)
Mar 13, 2004, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by sandsl:
Well I won't rush you keep up the good work! Off topic but are you working on anything else cool?
I don't have any major new apps coming, but let's just say CSSEdit isn't the only one going to version 2

Jan Van Boghout  (op)
Mar 14, 2004, 05:55 PM

Little update: I just released 1.6.1 which fixes a crash on launch for Jaguar users and adds some minor stuff

Amorya
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2004, 06:58 PM

Just downloaded this program for the first time. It looks good, but I have one suggestion.

In the righthand pane, it shows all the available options, whether they're applied to the currently chosen style or not.

I suggest that you only show the options that are part of the current style. Have all the other options in a floating pallette (with the tabs across the top like the main window has now), and you click on one to add it to the main window.

It's late so I'm tired - sorry if I'm uncoherent. If you want this explained better I'll try a mockup later.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Jan Van Boghout  (op)
Mar 14, 2004, 07:11 PM

Originally posted by Amorya:
Just downloaded this program for the first time. It looks good, but I have one suggestion.

In the righthand pane, it shows all the available options, whether they're applied to the currently chosen style or not.

I suggest that you only show the options that are part of the current style. Have all the other options in a floating pallette (with the tabs across the top like the main window has now), and you click on one to add it to the main window.

It's late so I'm tired - sorry if I'm uncoherent. If you want this explained better I'll try a mockup later.

Amorya
You're making sense I don't think that would work well though, you'd have a constantly changing set of controls, even depending on which style you select. I think it would quickly become a mess of resizing panels and constantly moving controls

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2004, 10:08 PM

Great update as usual
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

Thinine
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2004, 02:26 AM

Originally posted by Jan Van Boghout:
You're making sense I don't think that would work well though, you'd have a constantly changing set of controls, even depending on which style you select. I think it would quickly become a mess of resizing panels and constantly moving controls
I agree. But there should be something to indicate a property hasn't been implemented in your style. I get confused when editing other people's styles (extract from site is very useful) and have to look at the source a lot to tell what's implemented and what's not.

P.S. I love your site. Very slick.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2004, 04:08 AM

His site used to be even slicker - I loved the semi-transparent titlebar it used to have. Show off !

Suggestion - most of the work I do is php based, and my pages are made up of template components. This means that I have to create a special static HTML page to use as the preview page in CSS edit. It would be very handy if I could select a http:// URL as a preview page, even if it was limited to 127.0.0.1

Loving the update though - that reload button was much needed ! I noticed that it used to get confused switching between visual and editor modes sometimes - inserting } in the wrong place. Hope this has been fixed.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2004, 07:21 AM

Guys, I downloaded the update and now my Pablo/NOP serial won't work! What should I do?

Just kidding. I really should learn CSS, and this app makes me want to.

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

Amorya
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2004, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by Thinine:
I agree. But there should be something to indicate a property hasn't been implemented in your style. I get confused when editing other people's styles (extract from site is very useful) and have to look at the source a lot to tell what's implemented and what's not.

P.S. I love your site. Very slick.
OK, mockup time. Just something fairly simple to try and get my point across.

The main reason I suggested this, btw, is so that when flicking through a stylesheet I can see at a glance what each style does, without having to go through many tabs. I think it'd work.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 15, 2004, 11:06 AM

Personally I would find that a hassle, if you just want a list of items it actually uses then use code view it pretty much does that

Amorya
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2004, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by sushiism:
Personally I would find that a hassle, if you just want a list of items it actually uses then use code view it pretty much does that
I don't see why it'd be a hassle - you can use the palette exactly as the program functions now. It's not removing any functionality...

Amorya

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2004, 11:55 AM

Well hey, you never know, it could be something for a future release, like for 2.0.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Mar 15, 2004, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by phillryu:
Guys, I downloaded the update and now my Pablo/NOP serial won't work! What should I do?
BWAHAHAHAHA!!!
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 15, 2004, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by Amorya:
I don't see why it'd be a hassle - you can use the palette exactly as the program functions now. It's not removing any functionality...

Amorya
Just all that adding and deleting business, its not like CSS has a totally endless number of options, it hasnt actually got that many really so they can and have been well organised. Also your suggestion doesnt relaly add anything because if you look in the code view it basically shows the same info that idea shows without the complicated +/- clutter.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2004, 09:07 AM

Perhaps MacRabbit could license OmniGroup's Blue Dot™ feature

Jan Van Boghout  (op)
Mar 16, 2004, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by Synotic:
Perhaps MacRabbit could license OmniGroup's Blue Dot™ feature

Good idea

As for the palettes, I'm not a fan of the switching controls. However, I am working on a new system for CSSEdit 2 which should solve some problems

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2004, 04:10 AM

WHy not just change the instant preview text, so that insted of saying 'This is an instant preview' it shows the actual CSS code, styled in the correct style.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 17, 2004, 08:49 PM

make it integrate with transmit like bbedit and subethaedit do

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2004, 12:04 AM

I lurve SubEthaEdit...

make the two work together, and you will get a secret bag.. containing secrets.

Forum Links
Forum Rules