Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iCal 2.0 start-of-day bug

iCal 2.0 start-of-day bug
rlorenc
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2005, 10:33 AM

Is anyone else have issues with setting the "start-of-the-day" hour in iCal? I am viewing my calendars in "Week" view and, no matter what hour I select for the day to begin in Preferences, it begins at midnight. (This same behavior occurs also in "Day" and "Month" views, as well.) Another guy to whom I've spoken about this is having the same problem. Is anyone else? Is there a fix or do we have to wait until Apple issues an update?

Thanks,

Richard

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2005, 10:45 AM

I think you're mis-interpretting the use of the word 'day'. The days for week display still run from midnight to midnight, but the times before and after what you've got as the start and end of your 'day' will be greyed out. So by default 8am-6pm is white, and midnight-9am and 6pm-midnight are greyed out. Changing those times in prefs just changes what is greyed out and what is white. This is a feature, not a bug.
12" Rev B PB

rlorenc  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2005, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Thorin
I think you're mis-interpretting the use of the word 'day'. The days for week display still run from midnight to midnight, but the times before and after what you've got as the start and end of your 'day' will be greyed out. So by default 8am-6pm is white, and midnight-9am and 6pm-midnight are greyed out. Changing those times in prefs just changes what is greyed out and what is white. This is a feature, not a bug.
I surely hope that I'm not misinterpreting it--1.xx worked the way that I'm expecting version 2.0 to work. If this is a feature it's a back-step.

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2005, 11:28 AM

Just checked on my housemate's laptop (he hasn't upgraded to Tiger yet), and you're quite right. It's not a feature I'd ever used before, so I just sort of assumed it had always been like that. It definitely looks like they've deliberately changed the way those options work.
12" Rev B PB

Jan Van Boghout
May 4, 2005, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by rlorenc
I surely hope that I'm not misinterpreting it--1.xx worked the way that I'm expecting version 2.0 to work. If this is a feature it's a back-step.
I agree, this is a very annoying change. It seems like all the preference does is set the visible scroll bar area to the specified "day" interval

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2005, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Thorin
Changing those times in prefs just changes what is greyed out and what is white. This is a feature, not a bug.
What kind of stupid feature is that supposed to be ? Hello Apple ?

-t

wreising
May 4, 2005, 12:20 PM

This has to be a bug. It is much too annoying to have been done on purpose.
I've used the feedback to ask Apple to fix this.
It makes printing week calendars worthless.
A beautiful woman who is not a fool is a dangerous thing.
- Nero Wolfe

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2005, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777
What kind of stupid feature is that supposed to be ? Hello Apple ?

-t
Yeah sorry. I said that when I hadn't realised that function had changed since the previous version of iCal.

It does appear to be deliberate rather than accidental though.
12" Rev B PB

fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 4, 2005, 01:27 PM

yeah...me too.
thought i could fix it (deleting prefs, etc)
annoying...hope a maintainence update returns it to it's former glory...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2005, 11:02 PM

For the life of me I really can't understand why you all are complaining about this change. The last time I checked a day ran from 12:00 AM to 11:59 PM. The selection in preferences distinguishes between the main portion of the day and other times by graying out the latter. This is a huge improvement over the previous implementation that only allowed you to see the main hours specified in preferences. Every so often ... not a lot ... but every now and again I would setup an event that fell outside my "normal" time range. And with the old app the only way I could even see the appointment was to go into preferences, change these values, scroll up to see the events, and then change the preferences back. Now I have a clear indication of what my main time frame of the day is and I can easily just scroll to see those events that are outside of it. Much better implementation IMO.

OAW

rlorenc  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2005, 09:58 AM

Much better implementation IMO.

OAW[/QUOTE]

I suppose that the rest of us disagree. Fancy that.

rlorenc  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2005, 09:59 AM

Much better implementation IMO.

OAW
I suppose that the rest of us disagree. Fancy that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules