Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > King Kong (potential spoilers)

King Kong (potential spoilers)
Pendergast
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2005, 11:56 PM

I just saw it today.

When I thought that the preview seem to "tell all", I was in awe and gripping my seat so the action was so involving!
Special effects, scenario, and special scenes were just fantastic!
The beginning may not be to the liking of some, but it really was worth it for me to see this movie.

Hope you enjoyed it as well!
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

suganutz2
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2005, 12:00 AM

I'm going to go watch it in about an hour. I'm just waiting for my brother and his girlfriend to show up and we're all set. From what I've read, it sounds like an awesome movie that goes on for a little too long. But still, I can't wait to watch it.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 18, 2005, 12:00 AM

RGB
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2005, 01:23 AM

Possibly the most intense movie I've sat through. Very entertaining, very well done.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2005, 06:54 AM

It sucked. Waaay too long. The t-rex scene was too long. In the first hour nothing happened. The ice skating scene was ridiculous. Jack black is hopeless altough bareable in this movie. And there are some scenes were there is soo much movement all over the screen that you can't see what's happening anymore. I guess the CGI was cool but I'm not a CGI nerd so I don't really care for it, I expect quality CGI in 2005. There is more but I'll stop here.

It was a serious disappointment since I had really high hopes.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2005, 07:04 AM

Very well made movie. A great action/adventure journey imo. Great characters as well, with a script that was very good. Special effects were.... just so amazing, and the only time i thought "thats gotta have been made on a computer" was the initial scene with the dinosaurs. King Kong himself was flawlessely modeled and animated.
The sets were georgous as well, and this is definately one of those movies you HAVE to watch in theater. The movie is kinda reminicent of Indiana Jones, Jaws and Jurassic park sorta feel of adventure and action with breattaking special effects.
Jack Black would not have been my first choice for the role as hes one of those ppl who just make you laugh. And yeah the ice scating scene was a bit too much. But in the end....
This movie is why people goto the movies in the first place.

Cheers

Pendergast  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2005, 08:24 AM

I should make research, I know...
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

Pendergast  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2005, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
It sucked. Waaay too long. The t-rex scene was too long. In the first hour nothing happened. The ice skating scene was ridiculous. Jack black is hopeless altough bareable in this movie. And there are some scenes were there is soo much movement all over the screen that you can't see what's happening anymore. I guess the CGI was cool but I'm not a CGI nerd so I don't really care for it, I expect quality CGI in 2005. There is more but I'll stop here.

It was a serious disappointment since I had really high hopes.
Woaw, you must have expectations way up there! Sorry you did not enjoy it as much as I did.

The battles, the stampedes, were, in my eyes, absolutely fantastic! I was gripping my seat all the way. I am not easily impressed usually and I will be amongst the first to look for problems, and there are a couple in that movie, but not enough to keep me from enjoying it a lot!

I also enjoyed the beginning of the movie, which was a nice introduction to the period, especially considering that these images I saw as drawings or black and white movies before.

I thought also that Naomi Watts did a fine job as the actress.

The lenghty parts are those where Jackson is trying to provide the very emotional moments, almost italian style. It is just on the verge of too much, but I fel it was still acceptable, and never as dramatically hysterical as Frodo watering eyes in LOTR... (which can be understood in the context of Frodo's extreme situation imho).

Emile M. Cioran

Jan Van Boghout
Dec 18, 2005, 09:37 AM

I thought the stampede was hilarious. Let's keep running under hundreds of frightened Diplodocuses! Luckily they were intelligent enough to only trample the less important characters Good thing you can fend off a raptor by giving it a kick too

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2005, 11:03 AM

I thought the movie looked good, was well acted, special effects were nice but way overdone, and the film was too long. I actually got bored with the all the action scenes on the island. Come on, the T-rex scene went on for way too long.

Though I did like the giant bugs, though found it funny how you could shoot them off with a tommy gun. I was waiting for someone to get their head blown off while that shooting was going on.

Pendergast  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2005, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ
I thought the movie looked good, was well acted, special effects were nice but way overdone, and the film was too long. I actually got bored with the all the action scenes on the island. Come on, the T-rex scene went on for way too long.

Though I did like the giant bugs, though found it funny how you could shoot them off with a tommy gun. I was waiting for someone to get their head blown off while that shooting was going on.
The magic of movies I guess...

Emile M. Cioran

MightyWinnebago
Baninated
Dec 19, 2005, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by RGB
Possibly the most intense movie I've sat through.
Ditto, which makes me not like it as much. Every scene was intense... at the end of the movie I just felt battered. It didn't need to keep the audience on the edge of their seats the WHOLE MOVIE.

Also, it was really well done..but there were some scenes that were kinda lame. The dinosaur chase... k... WAY TOO LONG. Also, why would a dinosaur, which could eat a few tons of dead dinosaurs laying right there, be interested in chasing humans that weigh about 150lbs? It's stupid. They burned way more calories chasing them than they could ever hope to recieve by eating them. Also, that bug scene in the pit was just dumb. Pointless and dumb.

MightyWinnebago
Baninated
Dec 19, 2005, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Pendergast
I thought also that Naomi Watts did a fine job as the actress.
I wans't sure if that was her, because in every other movie I've ever seen with her in it, she takes her top off for like 20 minutes of the movie.

SShoot3r
Dec 19, 2005, 02:35 PM

i thought it was a well done movie. I was gripped with action and enjoyed it. I must say the T-Rex ans Kong fight scene was too long, but intense.

I thought the ice skating scene totally showed the affection of King Kong and Ms. Terrell.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2005, 04:16 PM

King Kong was HORRIBLE. Most of the scenes were dragged out, and extremely inconsistant. YES! I GET IT!! AS WITH THE FIST 20 EPIC SCENES AND SCORE, KING KONG IS IN LOVE WITH TERRELL! GET ON WITH MOVIE!

We only have 20 crewman... so we'll kill off 20 of them, and magically have 50 more.
OMG! I'm drownining in a torrent river! Oops, nevermind.
Kong! Look out for all those cars! Theyr'e... oh, nevermind. The street's completely empty except for 1 person. Oh wait, there they are again.
We can outrun a 50-foot gorilla and raptors THROUGH a jungle, but we can't do it while in a car...
Hey, you know that part in Jurrasic Park with the T-Rex?! Let's make THREE! No, no, FIVE!!! OMG OMG OMG!!! FIVE T-REXES! Wait... how about... 5 BIG T-Rexes... and five small ones. That'd be TEN, YES, TEN!!! TEN T-REXES!!!

And it was VERY Peter Jacksonish. After Lord of the Rings, it's just too much. Every single direction is, "OK! Now turn to the camera... and cry."

The only thing good about the movie was that it'd make a great drinking game. "Everyone has to take a shot when there's a closeup on someone's face and tear down their cheek."
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2005, 05:18 PM

I will wait to see "King Kong" on DVD.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Cubeoid
Baninated
Dec 20, 2005, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by wdlove
I will wait to see "King Kong" on DVD.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2005, 11:23 AM

I thought it was a really intense movie, a chair-gripping experience for a lot of it. Someone I was with said he actually was a little tired from being tense through most of the movie... I think I'd have to agree.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2005, 11:42 AM

It was OK. Way to over the top. Way to many cheesy cliched bits.

At any rate, what was the deal with the sunrise in New York? If the big Kong unveiling was in the evening, and then he busts out... runs about the city for an hour or so... how did it get to be sunrise by the time he was at the top of the Empire State Building? Where did the other 9 hours go?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2005, 01:25 PM

It is a giant ape people. To those who nitpick everything not perfectly accurate with the movie I have one word for you MOVIE.

IMO a great flick with masterfully done tense scenes. Every time you think the movie is dragging WHAM! it picks back up again (like the ice scene, and the scene atop the Empire State building). The centipede scene was PERFECT, everyone in the theater was groaning and wincing as the bug got closer, and closer, and closer until right when everyone had just about enough, the scene ends.

Wonderful pacing, wonderful story, beautiful CG, excellent movie all the way.

To those who think it was "way to long" maybe stupid action flicks that are only an hour and 45 minutes long would be more along what you can grasp.

Yes it wasn't perfect, no movie is, especially no movie with such a grandiose storyline as King Kong.

I'd say besides Return of the King, this is one of the best movies I've seen in theaters in the last 5 years.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2005, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by ort888
It was OK. Way to over the top. Way to many cheesy cliched bits.

At any rate, what was the deal with the sunrise in New York? If the big Kong unveiling was in the evening, and then he busts out... runs about the city for an hour or so... how did it get to be sunrise by the time he was at the top of the Empire State Building? Where did the other 9 hours go?
Several weeks went by as they were out at sea yet you don't see every second of that either, its a movie dude.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2005, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by sek929
Several weeks went by as they were out at sea yet you don't see every second of that either, its a movie dude.

I know it's a movie, but there is only so much I can accept. There is a big difference between skipping the sea voyage and a gap of 8 hours when Kong is loose in New York. Did he get a room at the Hilton? Get some shopping done? Fight the police for 8 hours? What happened?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2005, 02:26 PM

I'd say besides Return of the King, this is one of the best movies I've seen in theaters in the last 5 years.
... Oh wait, were you serious?!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2005, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by ort888
I know it's a movie, but there is only so much I can accept. There is a big difference between skipping the sea voyage and a gap of 8 hours when Kong is loose in New York. Did he get a room at the Hilton? Get some shopping done? Fight the police for 8 hours? What happened?
About all I can figure is that there's a rip in the space time continuum. That would explain why the boat magically had more crewman, the huge river they fell into disappeared, and the cars & people in New York vanished in one instance, but were all back in the another.

This woulda made a great original Star Trek episode. Just give all the sailors red shirts.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2005, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
... Oh wait, were you serious?!
I enjoyed it,

and your problem is?

EnemyTerritoryish
Banned
Dec 21, 2005, 06:04 PM

It is a giant ape people. To those who nitpick everything not perfectly accurate with the movie I have one word for you MOVIE.

IMO a great flick with masterfully done tense scenes. Every time you think the movie is dragging WHAM! it picks back up again (like the ice scene, and the scene atop the Empire State building). The centipede scene was PERFECT, everyone in the theater was groaning and wincing as the bug got closer, and closer, and closer until right when everyone had just about enough, the scene ends.

Wonderful pacing, wonderful story, beautiful CG, excellent movie all the way.

To those who think it was "way to long" maybe stupid action flicks that are only an hour and 45 minutes long would be more along what you can grasp.

Yes it wasn't perfect, no movie is, especially no movie with such a grandiose storyline as King Kong.

Disagree. It was well done and all, but there was never any downtime. I felt exhausted at the end of this movie. Yeesh. I feel the same way about Sin City. Cool movie, but emotionally tiring.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2005, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by EnemyTerritoryish
Disagree. It was well done and all, but there was never any downtime. I felt exhausted at the end of this movie. Yeesh. I feel the same way about Sin City. Cool movie, but emotionally tiring.
I agree with you (on both counts), though I think I wouldn't mind it as much on my couch instead of crappy theater seats.

Forum Links
Forum Rules