Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Beryl on OS X

Beryl on OS X
wgscott
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2007, 01:33 AM

I use X11 a lot on OS X, and on my linux PC I have Beryl running under Xubuntu. The eye-candy effects are quite remarkable.

Instead of using Xquartz, is it possible to run Berly on OS X (rootless)?

kick52
Baninated
Feb 8, 2007, 07:04 AM

yeah sure.
you know, you can use rootless on apples x11.

i've done it with fluxbox.

FB Eye
Senior User
Feb 8, 2007, 10:00 AM

Can you guys explain what the hell you're both talking about?
Sounds interesting...

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2007, 06:07 AM

Beryl is a hardware accelerated window compositor (or something) for Linux that finally gives them a 3D-accelerated desktop with nice effects, transparency, etc. like Quartz does in OS X.

Tony Arnold
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2007, 02:26 AM

Not unless something has changed in the last few months in the X11/Xorg implementation on the mac. Last I checked, Beryl/Compiz were really bolted onto having acceleration that the mac port of X simply didn't have.

God I'm waiting for someone to prove me wrong, though

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 18, 2007, 06:18 PM

Beryl = Quartz Extreme acceleration and Core Image style stuff but used without regard for taste or usability.

Someone might be able to hack this rubbish into cocoa apps etc but I would hope people have more taste/sense

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2007, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by sushiism View Post
Beryl = Quartz Extreme acceleration and Core Image style stuff but used without regard for taste or usability.

Someone might be able to hack this rubbish into cocoa apps etc but I would hope people have more taste/sense
You sure about that? I've used Ubuntu with Beryl and the "free-rotating cube" scheme for desktop management is amazing for productivity. All I've seen from Core-Image is fancy water effects when I load a dashboard widget.

Now, I'm probably stretching here, and there's a lot that Core Image is doing that I'm not aware of, but I wouldn't be quite so fast to disregard the usability of Beryl.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 19, 2007, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by slpdLoad View Post
You sure about that? I've used Ubuntu with Beryl and the "free-rotating cube" scheme for desktop management is amazing for productivity. All I've seen from Core-Image is fancy water effects when I load a dashboard widget.

Now, I'm probably stretching here, and there's a lot that Core Image is doing that I'm not aware of, but I wouldn't be quite so fast to disregard the usability of Beryl.
*Sigh*
If you want similar effects, consider getting:
Virtuedesktops - has fancy transitions including cube rotate.

Using Fast user switching also gives you a cube effects. Also, when you invoke Frontrow you get the idea that the desktop is texture on a larger three dimensional object.

Why are linux users all of a sudden bragging about effects that OS X has had for years when they had been discounting those exact same features in previous years?

Given these examples, it would be trivial to implement the effects you are talking about in Beryl but what would be the point? It is superfluous eye candy that is no more easy to use than Exposé and the upcoming spaces.

I'm afraid that you are too easily impressed by parlour tricks.

Core Animation (coming in Leopard) will make it even easier to implement a cube based virtual screen switcher and Frontrow will be included in the OS for every machine.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

Forum Links
Forum Rules