Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Is Anyone Using iTunes Less?

Is Anyone Using iTunes Less?
Caesar2099
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2007, 06:29 PM

Ever since Apple updated iTunes to version 7 with a new, darker interface, I find myself using it less and less. There was a time when I used to open it at start up, listen to various podcasts, download new songs and upload recently purchased cd's. Now I use it only to update my iPod, and that is it. I think the visuals and the fact it's so completely different from any other interface I use regularly completely puts me off. Does anyone else have iTunes phobia?

PS I have also moved away from iChat, iCal, Mail and Safari, opting instead for FireFox and Skype.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2007, 07:02 PM

I can't let a few UI changes make me stop using iTunes. There's nothing that compares to it, and I listen to music all the time.

Visualize
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2007, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Caesar2099 View Post
Ever since Apple updated iTunes to version 7 with a new, darker interface, I find myself using it less and less. There was a time when I used to open it at start up, listen to various podcasts, download new songs and upload recently purchased cd's. Now I use it only to update my iPod, and that is it. I think the visuals and the fact it's so completely different from any other interface I use regularly completely puts me off. Does anyone else have iTunes phobia?

PS I have also moved away from iChat, iCal, Mail and Safari, opting instead for FireFox and Skype.
There are ways to get back the old iTunes look. When i'm not using ShapeShifter to change my iTunes skin I then use AquaT or something similar from MacUpdate to change iTunes back to its iTunes6 look. I believe there's even a Unified option in the package.

But I have done the samr thing as you although i'm still using iTunes because there's no real substitute for it in the Mac OS X world. Can any other songplayer play iTunes-bought music ?

I'm using Google Calendar for my calendar needs and Gmail of course for my e-mail needs. And I use Adium 1.0.1 right now instead of iChat. Of yes, i'm using Firefox aswell right now. If only they would use Quartz instead of QuickDraw for their rendering. I can't stand that load-cursor in Firefox. But I learn to live with it I guess.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 3, 2007, 09:06 AM

No mp3 player comes close to iTunes, not on any platform

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 3, 2007, 09:42 AM

I usually have iTunes hidden when playing music. I don't see how the "darker interface" could matter that much.
Change your world and you will change your mind.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2007, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by sushiism View Post
No mp3 player comes close to iTunes, not on any platform
Agreed. It may be slightly bloated now, but iTunes is a superb app for keeping music organised.
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2007, 11:38 AM

To be honest I don't use iTunes because of its interface but rather because it plays music.
Michael

Forum Links
Forum Rules