Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Getting rid of 10.4.9 eject delay?

Getting rid of 10.4.9 eject delay?
arcticmac
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2007, 02:06 AM

I hate it. I know some people think it's a godsend, but it's almost enough to make me try to revert back to 10.4.8, despite all the other nice things about 10.4.9.

I like to get immediate response when I hit eject, and when I hit it accidentally, I can usually hit it a second time before the door makes it open, meaning that it's not a problem anyway.

SO... anyone know how to get rid of the delay?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2007, 04:44 AM

I know this is not the kind of answer you were looking for, but… 'Show eject in menu bar'.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2007, 04:50 AM

I don't know if it's intentional, but that theme makes every control look disabled

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2007, 07:05 AM

Kinda true, it is clean though… (theme is Milk, besides Good Grey the only theme I care to use).

Any better now?

arcticmac  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2007, 09:41 AM

That doesn't help much. It takes about 2x as long to get to the menubar with a mouse and click on a spot there than it does to HOLD the eject key on the keyboard.

And, in fact, I just wanted to point this out. It may be the new delay helps most people avoid pushing eject accidentally, but for me I usually hit whatever key I was going for long enough to eject the tray anyway, only now, because of the delay, I'm not able to catch it again before the tray gets out.

almaink
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2007, 10:05 AM

I'm with arcticmac on this, an option would have been better. Perhaps a slider delay preference for setting the delay time?

blicked
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2007, 10:34 AM

This is OT, but is there a recent version of Good Grey? The last version out was released in 2005 sometime- Any updated ones? I loved Good Grey too, but I had to let it go because ShapeShifter STILL can't theme Adobe- Maybe CS3?

hldan
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2007, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
I know this is not the kind of answer you were looking for, but… 'Show eject in menu bar'.

Quick question, is that feature on everyone's Mac? My dualie G5 doesn't show the option in System Preferences to place the eject button in the menu.

glypht
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2007, 11:50 AM

Mine neither, but you can also run it by going to /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras and double-clicking 'Eject.menu'.

Once launched it will stay in the menubar through reboots.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2007, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by hldan View Post
Quick question, is that feature on everyone's Mac? My dualie G5 doesn't show the option in System Preferences to place the eject button in the menu.
Mine is a MDD so it has two optical drive bays, maybe that is reason enough to such option being shown.

As for Good Grey, I don't know about any newer update than 2005's 1.4

hldan
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2007, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by glypht View Post
Mine neither, but you can also run it by going to /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras and double-clicking 'Eject.menu'.

Once launched it will stay in the menubar through reboots.
Oh Cool, it worked, is there any way of removing if I ever wanted to?

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2007, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by arcticmac View Post
I hate it. I know some people think it's a godsend, but it's almost enough to make me try to revert back to 10.4.8, despite all the other nice things about 10.4.9.

I like to get immediate response when I hit eject, and when I hit it accidentally, I can usually hit it a second time before the door makes it open, meaning that it's not a problem anyway.

SO... anyone know how to get rid of the delay?
I second the need for a way to control this delay. I hate delays. My full life is full of delays. My Apple Keyboard is resembling the Dutch Railways.
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2007, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by hldan View Post
Oh Cool, it worked, is there any way of removing if I ever wanted to?
Drag it out of the menu bar while holding the Command key down.

hldan
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2007, 08:14 PM

Wow, cool stuff, thanks for the tip!

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 17, 2007, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by almaink View Post
I'm with arcticmac on this, an option would have been better. Perhaps a slider delay preference for setting the delay time?
People don't need that much control over these things, a checkbox would suffice.

arcticmac  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 18, 2007, 10:32 PM

it would even suffice if they'd just add a terminal command to disable it or something... they've even got a KBase doc they could put it on:
Mac OS X 10.4.9: Media Eject key delay

delete
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2007, 11:06 PM

I can't believe this was intentional. Yeah I want the interaction with my Mac to be slower.

bsussman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2007, 11:17 PM

This does nothing to the delay, I would like to see the eject being instant again, but short of reinstalling 10.4.8 how to make the macbook eject instantaneously again, I never had this mythical problem with accidentally ejecting a cd that should not have been ejected, and it is frustrating me.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2007, 02:36 AM

I'm shocked that this is new to 10.4.9. I was under the impression this was introduced in something along the lines of 10.1.3. A really, really long time ago, they added a delay to the F12 key because people would accidentally hit it when they were going for the delete key, and their trays would instantly spit out. I thought it was a god-send in 2001.

I can't believe this is still an issue.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

voiceofra
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2007, 03:45 AM

Of all the sweet little hints and tricks I've picked up over the years, I can't believe I never knew about that...

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2007, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Detrius View Post
I can't believe this is still an issue.
It's not an issue for people not using laptops. WTF Apple?

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2007, 05:56 AM

I'm using a laptop and I can't see the issue at all, press and hold eject for 1/3 of a second and it's there.

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

arcticmac  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2007, 06:09 AM

that's the point. some of us don't WANT to have that 1/2 a second delay but its there anyhow.

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2007, 06:12 AM

Honestly I thought the delay was there the whole time, I've been pressing and holding since 10.0.

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

arcticmac  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2007, 06:23 AM

yes. on laptops. or at least, on some laptops (I'm not sure about them all). Desktops have generally been exempt to it until the 10.4.9 update.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2007, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by arcticmac View Post
it would even suffice if they'd just add a terminal command to disable it or something... they've even got a KBase doc they could put it on:
Mac OS X 10.4.9: Media Eject key delay
It says more info will be available soon, so perhaps there will be a way to disable it.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2007, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by qnxde View Post
Honestly I thought the delay was there the whole time, I've been pressing and holding since 10.0.
I know. Because it's on a laptop! I love to have a delay on my laptop, not on my desktops!

bsussman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2007, 09:54 AM

My only apple computer is a laptop but I never had a problem with the eject key being instantaneous on my macbook, infact I prefered it that way, that 1/2 second or more delay used to not be there, and I want it gone, it is more of a hassle now that the computer does not respond to a quick press of this button with 10.4.9 like it did even up to 10.4.8, I want the old behavior back, but no one seems to know how to revert it short of a wipe and reinstall to 10.4.6 back up to 10.4.8

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 20, 2007, 10:04 AM

For the record: there’s absolutely no delay on my laptop (PowerBook) running 10.4.8. Even when I press the eject button as lightly and quickly as I possibly can, there’s instant reaction. And I often manage to hit the eject key, when what I mean to hit is F12 (Dashboard), so for me, it would be an improvement, rather than a setback—but then again, I am on a laptop.

The real mind-boggler is why the hell Apple ever put the eject button on the keyboard like that to begin with. It’s bad usability for one thing (it’s not a keyboard key at all, so what the hell is it doing there?). Why couldn’t they have made it a key of the same kind that the power key is, i.e., a ‘flat’ key on the speakers? That would have made a lot more sense, since an eject key is a hardware key, not a software key.

bsussman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2007, 11:14 AM

Fine so I've reverted to 10.4.6 and am updating back to 10.4.8 as soon as the combo updater downloads, I can't stand it not giving me an instantaneous response on this macbook as it was not a problem. Oh and the not making the eject sound being gone with 10.4.9 is inaccurate(disk drive not attempting to eject w/o disk) , if you press and hold it with no disk at certain time intervals it would also attempt to eject a nonexistant disk, also 10.4.6 ejects instantly or rather the button responds to the lightest touch but the drive does not always attempt to purge a non-existant disk

bernt
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2007, 11:20 AM

Might be a workaround for some of you that can't stand the 1/2 second delay macosxhints.com - 10.4: Avoid the 10.4.9 Eject key activation delay

Basically, press eject then immediately option/alt (while you hold down the eject key) to eject the disc.
PowerBook 15" 1.25G/1G/80G | iMac G5 17" 1.6G/1.5G/300G | MacBook Pro 15" CD2.0G/1.5G/120G | MacBook C2D 2.2G/4G/160G

bsussman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2007, 11:26 AM

I am sorry but that is not a passable solution for me, for one thing it does nothing about the fact that the eject button is delayed, but rather flips all the expected apple key shortcuts on their head, this might help those who think the button no longer functions, however I have been conditioned into the immediate response and I wanted it back badly enough to archive and install

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2007, 11:33 AM

OMG, some of you people really needs lives.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2007, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by kmkkid View Post
OMG, some of you people really needs lives.
I work as an editor. I work with a LOT of optical media every day. This is a serious concern when it slows down my work or interrupts my flow.

dioioib
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2007, 06:37 PM

Ok, so thats what the problem was today. I was wondering if my Super Drive was going on me. To be quite honest waiting that long for a disk to eject when doing a presentation is annoying. Apple you really dropped the ball on this one.

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2007, 07:07 PM

For folks that seems so stingy about a precious second or two when ejecting disks...
some have spent a whole lot of time typing out posts, phrasing rationalizations, and
reading other posts, etc., etc., etc.

An ironical paradox... or a paradoxical irony?
-HI-

Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2007, 10:24 PM

I counted... it is litterally a 1 second delay.. the only way I can get it to not eject is if I tap it.. If I hold it for any longer it ejects.

If that is ruining your presentation than maybe you need to find a less stressful job.

but I agree, it should be a system preference option. because I for one LOVE it.

its funny how you people are extremely worked up over a 1 second delay on ejecting a CD.... I mean what the heck, find something else to think about... When I first discovered it I was like "Thats awesome!" I have always had a problem ejecting my CDs by mistake.
15" MacBook Pro | 2.16GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 100GB 5400 rpm | 256MB X1600

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2007, 11:22 PM

Good lord take a pill people. 1 second to avoid accidental ejections. If you get your panties in a bunch about this you need to have a serious look at your life, really. Wow.

hldan
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2007, 12:37 AM

Yeah, to be honest I keep forgetting to hold down the button longer than before but it really makes sense to have a delay in the eject button.
All the complaining is unnecessary for 2 reasons;
(1) It's part of the 10.4.9 update and nothing can be done to avoid that.

(2) In a short while we will all have gotten used to it and it will be long forgotten.

A new feature always takes time to get used to so just accept it and move on, it's not major.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2007, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by awaspaas View Post
Good lord take a pill people. 1 second to avoid accidental ejections. If you get your panties in a bunch about this you need to have a serious look at your life, really. Wow.
Good lord take a pill people. You care about accidental ejections? If you get your panties in a bunch about this you need to have a serious look at your life, really. Wow.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2007, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Good lord take a pill people. You care about accidental ejections? If you get your panties in a bunch about this you need to have a serious look at your life, really. Wow.
Ouch, that hurt! You win!!

chirpy22
Mar 21, 2007, 03:58 PM

I, for one, want my Mac startup button back on my keyboard! I absolutely HATE having to reach under my desk to turn my Mac Pro on every day.
And who has actually accidentally hit their eject key on a desktop keyboard? I bet it doesn't happen too often. Why is Apple wasting their time with things like this when there are bugs to squash?

GatorsFan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2007, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by chirpy22 View Post
And who has actually accidentally hit their eject key on a desktop keyboard? I bet it doesn't happen too often.
I have hit the Eject button (while reaching for the mouse) at least a hundred times in the year I've had my iMac. Therefore, I appreciate the delay.
iMac 20"

arcticmac  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2007, 01:00 AM

Several things.
1. I don't give a **** whether you like or don't like the delay. There are a lot of people who do and a lot of those who don't. I don't need a post from every single mac user in the world saying "I like it" or "i hate it"
2. Yes, I realize I've probably spent more time posting here than I'll ever save. BUT... that's not the whole point, at least not for me. I like knowing how my mac works. If I was just looking for a checkbox someplace I probably wouldn't have bothered. But I WOULD be cool with finding some file I can tweak that makes the behavior how I like it.
3. Yes, to many of you, it may seem like that means I need a life. I might point out that some of you who were most suggesting that are those with several thousand posts here on macnn. YOU need a life away from this forum before I need a life away from my mac
4. for the user who suggests that eject is not a software button - it is, at least, on a mac. On a windows box, yes, eject is a hardware thing. You push that button while the drive is in use, and who knows what happens. If it's well engineered, the drive ignores you because it's in use. if less, it spins down, spits the disk out, and locks up your OS which is waiting for I/O to complete. If it's really bad it doesn't even spin down first. On a mac, the eject key sends the SOFTWARE a message that says "unmount this disk" and then proceeds to spit the disk out. Very different.

**Sighs.** Wish ResEx was online. They'd understand the modding thing better.

Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2007, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by chirpy22 View Post
I, for one, want my Mac startup button back on my keyboard! I absolutely HATE having to reach under my desk to turn my Mac Pro on every day.
And who has actually accidentally hit their eject key on a desktop keyboard? I bet it doesn't happen too often. Why is Apple wasting their time with things like this when there are bugs to squash?
contrary to popular belief, os 10.4.9 actually does run on a macbook pro, or any apple laptop!

And believe it or not, apply actually supports these computers! to think they would actually solve an annoying problem on a laptop is just weird

countraven
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2007, 05:18 PM

Arcticmac's complaint is entirely legitimate and not simply because I also share the frustration of the new Eject Key delay, but because this change speaks to more fundamental problems. If users are regularly hitting a key that they shouldn't then perhaps the key is in the wrong place. Putting a delayed response on the key is a half-measure at best. Obviously redesigning the keyboard isn't the most convenient solution, but it would be the ideal one. Still, if the software delay does please laptop users that's perfectly fine, but Apple could make everybody happy by adding a checkbox in the keyboard preferences for those of us who want keys to do what they're told insantly, like it was in 10.4.8. Options are always best. I still think the change is fundamentally wrong, though. Hiding mistakes from the user doesn't mean they aren't making them. We don't need stuff that slows down the experience of using a computer in my view.

Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2007, 05:22 PM

where else would they put it? I sure as heck don't want a non rectangular keboard...

but if we are redesigning a keyboard.. I want an option key on the right side.

hldan
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2007, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by countraven View Post
Arcticmac's complaint is entirely legitimate and not simply because I also share the frustration of the new Eject Key delay, but because this change speaks to more fundamental problems. If users are regularly hitting a key that they shouldn't then perhaps the key is in the wrong place. Putting a delayed response on the key is a half-measure at best. Obviously redesigning the keyboard isn't the most convenient solution, but it would be the ideal one. Still, if the software delay does please laptop users that's perfectly fine, but Apple could make everybody happy by adding a checkbox in the keyboard preferences for those of us who want keys to do what they're told insantly, like it was in 10.4.8. Options are always best. I still think the change is fundamentally wrong, though. Hiding mistakes from the user doesn't mean they aren't making them. We don't need stuff that slows down the experience of using a computer in my view.

Well, what's done is done, can't we move on? Why harp about it all day. I'm used to pressing the eject button and getting an instant response too but Apple has changed it so what's done is done.

chirpy22
Mar 23, 2007, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Frugle View Post
contrary to popular belief, os 10.4.9 actually does run on a macbook pro, or any apple laptop!

And believe it or not, apply actually supports these computers! to think they would actually solve an annoying problem on a laptop is just weird
Why did you quote me in this response? My post had nothing to do with a macbook pro.

steve626
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2007, 12:38 AM

Reading all this banter about a few tenths of a second when pushing a button ejecting a CD ...

* This shows how healthy the Mac OS is since this is the best thing people can find to fuss about ... frankly, I never even noticed the delay in my regular use ...

* There are a bunch of people here who seem to have a lot of time on their hands ... I'm moving on looking for something more interesting to read about in this forum than some 1/2 second delay on an eject CD key that I never even noticed, let alone cared about ...

Forum Links
Forum Rules