Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can Little Snitch Block Internal Network Access...

Can Little Snitch Block Internal Network Access...
jderosa3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2007, 09:30 AM

Back when I was in highschool the teacher had some software running on multiple machines, but if two people had the program running the one of the apps would shut down. He had an app for OS 9 that got around this..., but don't remeber what it was called.

I am not condoning piracy (it's wrong) but I have a backup box that I do use with Final Cut and was wondering if little snitch would do the trick... if not any other software out there that may work.

Thanks

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2007, 04:23 PM

I think that's the type of thing Little Snitch is meant to be able to block, although I'm not sure. It's worth a try at least.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

jderosa3  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2007, 08:47 PM

ya i tried it with no luck... I set a rule for final cut to not allow local network access... but no luck...

bluedog
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2007, 09:04 PM

I believe Little Snitch works on TCPIP packets and may not block Appletalk, if you can get by not using it try disabling it in the network system preferences.

Some software may be use that as a method for a network check.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2007, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by bluedog View Post
I believe Little Snitch works on TCPIP packets and may not block Appletalk, if you can get by not using it try disabling it in the network system preferences.

Some software may be use that as a method for a network check.
I don't think Final Cut Pro uses AppleTalk to do it's network checks.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2007, 06:04 PM

I believe FCP uses a background process to do this check, not the FCP itself. Maybe through QMaster or some sort.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

stuffedmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2007, 08:40 PM

Your problem is that with the pre-defined rules that Little Snitch has by default - many local network traffic types are whitelisted. Try messing around with those...

Forum Links
Forum Rules