Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Advanced features missing in OS X

Advanced features missing in OS X (Page 3)
analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2007, 04:10 PM

Drag and drop across Exposé.

Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2007, 04:14 PM

yeah, but you still need to have both windows open. I want to be able to have one window open, "cut" the file, go to the destination folder, and paste it. I'm content with the drag and drop spring loaded folders, but a cut and paste type thing would be nice.

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2007, 05:38 PM

Either way, you need to finally open the destination folder. How does it matter whether you cut the files earlier and then open it, or just open them both and then drag and drop? And with Expose & spring-loaded folders, I don't really think it's an issue anymore. The only other desirable feature would be a spring-loaded dock.

Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2007, 05:39 PM

It's just a time issue anymore, the spring loaded folders take a second to open.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2007, 05:45 PM

In my opinion, the copy and paste thing is an issue of usability and consistency, not of utility.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 5, 2007, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by pheonixash View Post
Either way, you need to finally open the destination folder. How does it matter whether you cut the files earlier and then open it, or just open them both and then drag and drop? And with Expose & spring-loaded folders, I don't really think it's an issue anymore. The only other desirable feature would be a spring-loaded dock.
I think pheonixash has nailed it, cut+paste in Explorer is a band aid over the poor window management in windows and general poorness of explorer

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2007, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by pheonixash View Post
The only other desirable feature would be a spring-loaded dock.
Both stacks and Docked folders (as well as folders WITHIN stacks and within docked folders) are now spring-loaded, as of Leopard previews.

Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2007, 07:14 PM

Yay!!

krove
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2007, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Drag and drop across Exposé.
You can do this in Tiger. Click and hold [something], hit F9, F10, or F11, drag mouse over window you want, wait (or press space bar to get the window you want quicker), drop. I use this all the time.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2007, 08:58 PM

He was talking about Tiger. But yeah, it's cool.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2007, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by krove View Post
You can do this in Tiger. Click and hold [something], hit F9, F10, or F11, drag mouse over window you want, wait (or press space bar to get the window you want quicker), drop. I use this all the time.
Or hot corners, which is what they were talking about, specifically.

I use this all the time, too.

himself
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2007, 05:54 AM

Regarding "identities" in Mail, I can get this done in Tiger (if I understand what you're getting at)... I have all of my individual email accounts (about 12 of them) nested under the main inbox, so I can check them all at once or individually.

When I go to compose a new email, I can access a drop-down menu of each of my email accounts from which I want to send the message. And if you want to have a different name for any specific email account, go to the account preferences and specify the name to be used for that account ("Full Name" under the "Account Information" tab), and that's the name that will be displayed when you send a message from that account.

You can also choose which accounts get checked for new mail automatically, and which ones don't. In the Mail prefs, go to the account in question and select "Advanced" and check (or uncheck) "Include when automatically checking for new mail."

As far as other features I'd like to see, I just want an easy way to sync info between machines and online that doesn't require .Mac.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2007, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by himself View Post
Regarding "identities" in Mail, I can get this done in Tiger (if I understand what you're getting at)... I have all of my individual email accounts (about 12 of them) nested under the main inbox, so I can check them all at once or individually.

When I go to compose a new email, I can access a drop-down menu of each of my email accounts from which I want to send the message. And if you want to have a different name for any specific email account, go to the account preferences and specify the name to be used for that account ("Full Name" under the "Account Information" tab), and that's the name that will be displayed when you send a message from that account.
That isn't multiple identities, but simply setting separate names for separate email accounts. Multiple identities will allow you to set separate names within the *same* email account. This is desirable for many people and more so than creating separate accounts, particularly in work settings where one is involved with several different organizations.

gperks
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2007, 01:52 PM

shinji said: >Safari

> -Saving an image/movie/etc. should have an option of where to save, not just the location I specify in preference

You can - just hold down the Alt key, right-click on the item. Instead of Download... you get Download As... and can choose the download folder.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 1, 2007, 11:11 AM

• A consistent GUI. If 10.5 just had that, I would buy it just for that. Apple use it's own GUI rules for 3rd party developers. For example, many of Apple's OWN iApps use it's own internal GUI instead of relying on the Extras.rsrc like Apple has requested and promoted other 3rd parties to do. "Do what we say, not what we do" I guess.

• Better "labels" I don't like the way labels highlight the NAME, and not the FOLDER. I know there is a 3rd party hack to make this happen, but I don't like hacks of the sort that patch the system like APE hacks do.

• Finder remembering a single default Window preference. And then if you change it for a specific folder, remember it as well.

• Applescript be recordable like it was in OS 9. (You used to be able to hit "record" in OS 9, do some Finder task, or do something in a application that supported Applescript and it would write the script for you)

I am sure the list goes on..

Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2007, 04:17 PM

The third one is in Leopard.

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 1, 2007, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
• Finder remembering a single default Window preference. And then if you change it for a specific folder, remember it as well.
Not entirely sure what you mean, but if I understand correctly Mac OS X Leopard has that. You can set folders to always open with a certain view like icons, list, columns or Cover Flow.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 2, 2007, 06:27 AM

Well good then. 1 out of four so far.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 2, 2007, 07:49 AM

Automator has recordable actions AFAIK (in Leopard at least).

And 10.5 is a hell of a lot more unified than 10.4 was

And as for Labels, usability-wise the larger highlight is much more usable. It took me a while to adjust too, but all in all I much prefer the Mac OS X way.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 2, 2007, 08:11 AM

I would maybe if you could mess with the colors..

And I'll have to check out Automator. And being more unified than 10.4 isn't saying much...

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 2, 2007, 08:12 AM

Well good then. 1 out of four so far.
1.5 you mean...Apple is much closer to reaching your first point than it were a year ago. Sure, there are still small inconsistencies especially with the iApps and *especially* with iTunes (I think iTunes is a lost cause...it's a frankenstein app that tries to do too much and the iTunes team is hellbent on keeping iTunes' own internal graphics for cross-platform consistency)...but killing brushed-metal (Apple's worst mistake ever) altogether and having a single uniform look is excellent. Sad we have to pay for this...brushed-metal should never have happened in the first place.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 2, 2007, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!! View Post
1.5 you mean...Apple is much closer to reaching your first point than it were a year ago.
Better, but it's still not consistent.
Sure, there are still small inconsistencies especially with the iApps and *especially* with iTunes (I think iTunes is a lost cause...it's a frankenstein app that tries to do too much and the iTunes team is hellbent on keeping iTunes' own internal graphics for cross-platform consistency)...
Well I am sure Apple could make the Apple version of iTunes read from the correct resources, and make the Intel version read from it's own. I guess I just get tired of fixing these things myself when they shouldn't have had to be so. I never had this problem with Platinum.
but killing brushed-metal (Apple's worst mistake ever) altogether and having a single uniform look is excellent. Sad we have to pay for this...brushed-metal should never have happened in the first place.
Yeah I disliked brushed from day one. I replaced that patter even in iTunes when it first came out on OS 9. I did like the glossy silver look it gave you.

It does seem the trends of the user are somehow being put into the OS's gui.

Look at our GUI forum when it first started. The theme thread. Some of those themes, Aqua now has the "look" of. Even the most basic things as the look of the new iTunes scroll bar. I've seen such designs before by theme makers before said revealing by Apple.

I wonder if Apple has been watching such GUI trends. I hope so. Cause I've seen some REALLY NICE GUIs out there that people have done for OS X that just blows Aqua away. Themes made by people that post here.

The only sad part is, you have to run a third party hack that sometimes doesn't mesh well with other programs, and the deal with consistency..

I think it's time for Aqua to go bye bye. And I would not be surprised if 10.5, when released has a different looking GUI than what we are seeing. That is if Apple is TRUELY trying to get a UNIFIED look.

If not, ohwell. I've hacked the resources before to get it to look the way I want it to. I can do it again.

One thing OS X and OS 9 lacked to me IMHO was the ability to natively theme it. Like you could Windows and Linux. Like you still can.

You shouldn't have to theme the OS, and then theme separate apps to support said theme as well (Hear me Apple and Adobe, and others that don't use proper GUI support)

OS X could really be something if it were EASY to make your own. And that is what people really want. You even see it in the Linux world. I help admin a screenshot site on the intertubes and I've seen all kinds of cool looks Linux users and Windows users are using to mess with their OS.

Now, having said that, I have no clue on what they use to do so. If a third party utility is required.

To me the optimal OS would be able to theme once, from the core of a file or files. And it is system wide, and TRUELY unified.

I've always been interested in GUIs. But have never been happy with what OS X has given me.
( Last edited by Kevin; Oct 2, 2007 at 08:31 AM. )

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2007, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!! View Post
1.5 you mean...Apple is much closer to reaching your first point than it were a year ago. Sure, there are still small inconsistencies especially with the iApps and *especially* with iTunes (I think iTunes is a lost cause...it's a frankenstein app that tries to do too much and the iTunes team is hellbent on keeping iTunes' own internal graphics for cross-platform consistency)...but killing brushed-metal (Apple's worst mistake ever) altogether and having a single uniform look is excellent. Sad we have to pay for this...brushed-metal should never have happened in the first place.

Do you really think that brushed metal was Apple's worst mistake ever literally, or were you exaggerating to emphasize your point?

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 2, 2007, 06:14 PM

I don't think it really matters. But yeah, brushed metal was pretty horrid.

But I'd say the whole pin-stripes in the original theme was even more horrid.

Those were the first to go. I got into themeing BECAUSE Apple included those in OS X's GUI. Over time they got less noticeable until Apple finally took them out all-together.

That, and I wanted a darker GUI than Aqua. And I figured if I could make the patterns in the menus one solid color, and a bit bigger and with less transparencies, I could make menu drawing faster. I think Accelerate Your Mac even did a benchmark test and my theme was "faster" over all and redraw than Aqua was.

I don't know WHY I thought it would work. But it did.

Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2007, 06:22 PM

Now all that's left are the darn Aqua buttons. It's not so much they look bad, but their 3D doesn't jive with the rest of the GUI. The Aqua buttons pop out more than the newer interface elements and have more bright lights on them.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 3, 2007, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
Now all that's left are the darn Aqua buttons. It's not so much they look bad, but their 3D doesn't jive with the rest of the GUI. The Aqua buttons pop out more than the newer interface elements and have more bright lights on them.
Agreed. They need to change them, or just go ahead and add lens flair.

[edit]

Anyone responding to this post please respond to it here
( Last edited by Kevin; Oct 3, 2007 at 10:50 AM. )

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2007, 09:41 AM

Not that I'm complaining, but allow me to point out that in my original message I wrote this:

Please leave all eye candy and aesthetic/cosmetic stuff for other threads, and try to limit this to actual features
Not trying to micromanage this thread, but attempting to gently put it back on track

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 3, 2007, 10:49 AM

Actually this thread and this thread are pretty much a like and seem to be talking about the same things. If you don't want people talking about GUI issues, then I am sure we can move it to the other thread just like this one. No problem.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 3, 2007, 10:21 PM

How about we keep in mind that THIS thread is about "advanced" features, while the earlier thread should be for general features... These things are way to big to lock or delete either one, but Kevin is right about the redundancy.

Just sayin'...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2007, 10:31 PM

Whatever you guys want to do is fine with me. I get bored in general talking about cosmetics (I love talking about usability though), but it occurred to me that this thread was no longer terribly active anyway, so... I'm flexible.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 4, 2007, 09:24 AM

Got another one.. have spotlight label .eps images as images, and not documents...

And why doesn't iPhoto support .eps?

I was looking forward to using iPhoto as a image cataloguing device for work. But it doesn't support .eps... and lots of logos are vector .eps images. And changing them to .tiffs really "ruins" them.

ohwell.wav

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2007, 08:29 PM

Convert them to PDF. If you open them in Preview that's what will happen. Won't ruin a thing.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 5, 2007, 05:59 AM

OK that solves my iPhoto problem.
Thanks for the tip erik.

Now to get EPSs to show up as artwork in spotlight...

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2007, 06:32 AM

Well, if you convert your EPSes to PDF, that solves that too

glypht
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2007, 07:14 AM

lots of logos are vector .eps images.
Ditch Quark and switch to InDesign, then you won't have to keep your vector logos as EPS files, you can save them as AI or PDF files and have them show up as images in the system.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 5, 2007, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Well, if you convert your EPSes to PDF, that solves that too
Actually I have the LATEST version of iPhoto, and it wont import my PDfs. Says it doesn't recognize the file type. Same with EPSs.

And in my Spotlight, both .EPS and .PDF show up in the documents section. NOT the artwork section.

Originally Posted by glypht View Post
Ditch Quark and switch to InDesign, then you won't have to keep your vector logos as EPS files, you can save them as AI or PDF files and have them show up as images in the system.
I use InDesign. And read above.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2007, 11:06 AM

iPhoto is designed to organize your personal pictures taken with a digital camera. That's where it's good at. You might be able to force other tasks onto it, but you're making things difficult then. Use cataloguing software to catalogue the kind of documents you work with.

I don't have an "Artwork" section in my Spotlight. It's called "Images". Maybe Illustrator files and EPS can be considered artwork, but images they are not.

PDF is short for Portable Document Format. It, and EPS, can contain images or even images only, but also text and whatnot. They are describing pages, so basically they are poster child documents.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 5, 2007, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
i
I don't have an "Artwork" section in my Spotlight. It's called "Images".
Artwork, images... same thing.
Maybe Illustrator files and EPS can be considered artwork, but images they are not.
Depends, you can have images as EPSs. I have tons of them.

Fact is spotlight needs to be more configurable.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2007, 07:01 PM

Yes. It would not make sense to put PDFs under images.

Point is, EPS is a dead format, long replaced with PDF even at the slowest of printers. Should the OS go out of it's way to support it? Probably not. That preview automatically converts it to PDF is a good thing.

I suggest you use a more specialised media browser than trying to make Spotlight and iPhoto work the way you want it, and not the way they were intended. There are good alternatives out there, not the least of which Adobe Bridge is one of them (and supporting legacy formats too I believe). iView Pro are also widely used.

iPhoto won't import PDFs you say? Weird. Oh well, iTunes will. Maybe you can use that as your media browser

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 6, 2007, 06:21 AM

Yes. It would not make sense to put PDFs under images.

Point is, EPS is a dead format, long replaced with PDF even at the slowest of printers. Should the OS go out of it's way to support it? Probably not. That preview automatically converts it to PDF is a good thing.
Say the customer has a logo in PDF, and it's flattened etc. And wants to change the colors in it. How do you go about doing so? (Not all PDfs are editable. Most aren't)

With most EPSs you can. That is why most clipart STILL comes in EPS format. So you can edit it to your liking.
I suggest you use a more specialised media browser than trying to make Spotlight and iPhoto work the way you want it, and not the way they were intended. There are good alternatives out there, not the least of which Adobe Bridge is one of them (and supporting legacy formats too I believe). iView Pro are also widely used.

iPhoto won't import PDFs you say? Weird. Oh well, iTunes will. Maybe you can use that as your media browser
I doubt the company sprouts for any media application just to store graphics. They will say "What is IPhoto for" And since I wouldn't be able to explain it to them in a way they'd understand nothing would happen.

There is no reason Apple shouldn't integrate EPS import ability into iPhoto. I wouldn't even care if it turned it into a PDF, as long as the editing abilities were still there.

AFter all this thread is about features we WISH OS X had.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 6, 2007, 08:34 AM

One of the real beauties of PDF is that you can create documents that are NOT editable. So you can release policies, copies of contracts, etc. and nobody can futz them over. As such, that makes PDF (of this type anyway) "images" of a document. Further, if you do any research online, you'll note that before about 1999 many journal articles (if they're available electronically at all) are purely images of the printed page in PDF format. The majority of PDFs I encounter are non-editable, no matter what application created them. I think of them as image-type files. And so does Adobe, for that matter.

Do I win?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2007, 09:28 PM

iPhoto is OS X now?

And if your client sends you an uneditable PDF it's either on purpose or they are stupid. I mean, most clients send me their logos as #$%"# JPEGs. Gah.

PDFs containing vector artwork are perfectly editable unless specifically told to. That is a strength of the format, not a weakness. Clipart are distributed as EPS purely for legacy reasons. Most clipart I buy now comes in AI or PDF format.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 7, 2007, 05:12 AM

iPhoto is OS X now?
Well it did come with my Mac. And they do bundle it with new Macs
And if your client sends you an uneditable PDF it's either on purpose or they are stupid. I mean, most clients send me their logos as #$%"# JPEGs. Gah.
Well it looks as if we have the same clients. I am in JPG hell too most of the time. I hear the ad reps say "Oh just send a jpeg" and I want to strangle them. They don't care as long as they get their commission.
PDFs containing vector artwork are perfectly editable unless specifically told to. That is a strength of the format, not a weakness.
Yes, but clipart doesn't come as a PDF, and companies usually don't send out unlocked PDFs. Not on purpose anyhow. I
Clipart are distributed as EPS purely for legacy reasons. Most clipart I buy now comes in AI or PDF format.
Well I doubt I get a whole new set of clipart since I just got a bunch. That and all the artwork pages hosted on the interweb, like Multi-ad builder use EPS and .TIFF

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 7, 2007, 10:50 AM

We seem to be talking about different uses for PDF here. The majority of PDFs are intentionally UN-editable, for reasons I mentioned earlier. WHY would one use a PDF instead of a vector-based file format to transport artwork? Isn't that pretty dumb? Embedding a vector image in a PDF is going to do very little to compress the original file that couldn't be done with some other, dedicated compression techinque.

And everything you say about using JPEGs for artwork is absolutely correct. Who in his right mind would think that a lossy, compressed file would be worth using? What kind of idiot...no wait-you mentioned advertising sales guys, and that explains everything. Sheesh! (This is like having the lead programmer ask the boss what his workers need instead of asking the most experienced users. Which happens most of the time. Really dumb!)

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 7, 2007, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
We seem to be talking about different uses for PDF here. The majority of PDFs are intentionally UN-editable, for reasons I mentioned earlier. WHY would one use a PDF instead of a vector-based file format to transport artwork? Isn't that pretty dumb?
I have no idea.. I am not the one advocating such a thing. Nor do I see this as it's normal usage. A lot of the time a company will send me ads THEY made in PDF format. This makes sense. However most logos are sent to me in EPS or .ai format. Or in some strange MS office application format like Powerpoint.
And everything you say about using JPEGs for artwork is absolutely correct. Who in his right mind would think that a lossy, compressed file would be worth using? What kind of idiot...no wait-you mentioned advertising sales guys, and that explains everything. Sheesh! (This is like having the lead programmer ask the boss what his workers need instead of asking the most experienced users. Which happens most of the time. Really dumb!)
Yeah sales reps... they are a blast to work with.

Their excuses are "I am not a graphics person, I don't understand all that"

I explain to them that it's part of their job to understand just the basics. They don't WANT to know. Less responsibility. They used to just forward any questions of the like to me. After awhile and I was doing more talking with their clients than they were, so I stopped. I gave them all copies of the artwork requirement sheet and requested them memorize it.

I did put on there that JPGs could be used if nothing else would be available, but they are not recommended because they look horrible in print. But a jpg is the FIRST thing they will tell a customer when they ask to this day...

I wanna smack em.

Not all are like this. but most are.

We have one that has a mercedes with a license plate that says "The Ronster"

No kidding....

beez1717
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2007, 03:38 AM

What apple is ignoring all together: Apple script! I would like to see them finally up support for this wonderful and useful feature of the mac.

JLL
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2007, 10:45 AM

Ignoring? I think a lot happened with AppleScript in Leopard.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 23, 2007, 10:51 AM

And has he used Leopard? probably not.

JLL
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2007, 11:01 AM

Who he?
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2007, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
WHY would one use a PDF instead of a vector-based file format to transport artwork?
A bit old, but the thread is still alive and I just noticed this: PDF is a vector-based format.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Forum Links
Forum Rules