Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Thoughts on the new iMac?

Thoughts on the new iMac? (Page 2)
mfbernstein
Senior User
Aug 7, 2007, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by mattcass View Post
Is the new screen LED or still fluorescent?
Still standard LCDs (fluorescent). LED displays simply aren't being manufactured in large enough quantities above 15". Even the 17" MacBook Pro uses the older screens.

Koralatov
Senior User
Aug 7, 2007, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Agreed. They used to have it nailed down pretty well, with the consumer 'i' line in white plastic, and the pro 'power' line in aluminum, but that tradition seems to be being chucked out the window. Apple TV, the mini, this new iMac, the lower end iPods, and the iPhone all have some amount of metal now.

Of course, the Macbooks and 5.5G iPod are the only ones having not been updated recently, which leads me to believe there might be a redesign coming.
Yeah, I think that's a real shame personally--I liked having two distinct, identifiable product lines. You could instantly look at a 12" PowerBook and know it was a PowerBook. That said, when I was forced to retreat to a local coffee shop with my beloved iBook to get online (my broadband had been disabled by the ISP for no apparent reason), I did overhear a girl muttering about how you could "tell he [as in me] doesn't know **** about Apple because he has a crappy old iBook" (she was sporting a 12" PowerBook). That said, some snobbery is a small price to pay to have two clearly defined product lines in my mind.

Originally Posted by REVBCO View Post
Take a look at the new wireless keyboard. It doesn't have the number keypad.
I'd have to second that. I don't use my iMac for anything even remotely strenuous, but I still use the numeric keypad for almost any numbers I input--it doesn't require thought or moving my hand as much as using the top row of numerals does. So, beautiful as the wireless keyboard is, it's certainly not a winner in my book. Once I slam the BlueTooth module into my iMac, I think I'll stick to one of the old wireless keyboards. The plus side is that it matches the G4 iMac better.

Originally Posted by butterfly0fdoom View Post
5) No matter what the design is, it'll never be as awesome as the G4. That was the ultimate all-on-one (mostly because of the super-adjustable screen and just plain awesome good looks).
Sadly, the inventiveness and quirky stylings of the G4 days are long gone, and probably never to return. Personally, I think that the G4-era (with the exception of the iBook) represents Apple's strongest period of industrial design. They took it beyond computers and into a form of art. If you look at their line-up then, it's absolutely incredible: iMac G4, the Cube, the Graphite and MDD PowerMacs. Every single one of them is absolutely beautiful, and quite playful in design. I even prefer the old Studio Displays--the pin-stripes and transparent 'feet' were fantastic.

Ultimately, I think Apple moved beyond its 'postmodernist' design phase (G4 iMac, Studio Displays, G3 iMac and iBook Clamshell) into a more strictly modernist sensibility. I call the previous era postmodernist because it removed the emphasis on pure functionality whilst still acknowledging the components parts (the last CRT Studio Display was an excellent example of this). If you look at the designs starting with the G3 Dual USB iBooks and continuing to the present product line-up, they're very minimalist, almost severe. It's a shame, but I doubt they'll do an about-turn on it.

I do, however, still hold out a totally, totally vain and futile hope that they'll return to the G4 design at some point in the future, now that TFTs cost vastly less than they used to...

DaveNinja
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2007, 05:36 PM

I just went and bought 2 of the 24 inch versions from the apple store. they didnt have any one display but had a bunch in the back. My old G5 tower and my wife's old G5 iMac are now replaced. I had to run back to work so i didnt get to look at it much. my wife's is transferring info via the firewire set up program. the power button threw me for a loop since its on the left side of the back. they still use the white/gray power cord. they should use a black one sicne the back is black. the new keyboard is tiny. i'll probably stick to my IceKey for a while since i'm used to it.
My wife and i mainly use the computers for internet/email and World of Warcraft. it should be a great upgrade for the later.
daveninja.com

Koralatov
Senior User
Aug 7, 2007, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
You know you're totally beyond help when you actually, genuinely laugh aloud upon seeing the above image.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2007, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Would have looked better with the whole front face as black glass(so no chin), with the apple mounted on the glass at the bottom. But it still looks pretty good as it is. And a 2.8GHz top spec? is that a Conroe desktop chip?
Core 2 Extreme dual-core? I believe that would be Conroe.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2007, 05:42 PM

For the people the are hating the keyboard, the wired keyboard has a number pad, etc

Apple's logic is that if you need a number pad for working that you're less likely to get a BT keyboard. And if you get the BT keyboard that means you're more likely to use it for multimedia and wouldn't need a number pad.

Edit: does the new keyboard have USB 2?
Signature depreciated.

shawmanus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2007, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Core 2 Extreme dual-core? I believe that would be Conroe.
Intel recently released x7800 core 2 extreme for laptops.its runs default at 2.6ghz but has unlocked multiplier upto 15x( 3ghz). I have a feeling Apple is selling it at 2.8ghz.

I hate that apple does not mention actual part names.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2007, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by shawmanus View Post
Intel recently released x7800 core 2 extreme for laptops.its runs default at 2.6ghz but has unlocked multiplier upto 15x( 3ghz). I have a feeling Apple is selling it at 2.8ghz.

I hate that apple does not mention actual part names.
Ah, I didn't hear about the new laptop Extremes. You're probably right.
Chuck
___

wolfen
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2007, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
I just went and bought 2 of the 24 inch versions from the apple store. they didnt have any one display but had a bunch in the back. My old G5 tower and my wife's old G5 iMac are now replaced.
Really? I was just in the Durham store and they were all shifty-eyed every time we asked if they had the new iMacs in stock? This was after the announcement and everything. "Uh...hey...I dunno. Y'know?" Everybody on the floor was acting completely clueless. So I left.

I called a couple of hours later and asked and they said maybe in the next day or two. Sigh.

My wife and i mainly use the computers for internet/email and World of Warcraft. it should be a great upgrade for the later.
Yeah, us too. You effing nerd.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

mfbernstein
Senior User
Aug 7, 2007, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by shawmanus View Post
No need to. The X7900 is 2.8GHZ.

sts24
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2007, 06:21 PM

While I like new design, it is not all that dramatically different from my iMac G5. In fact, just add an iSight (which I wouldn't use) and an Intel chip it is the same machine. I also think that Apple's design is starting to loose it's character and personality. Sure it stands out from the competition and that's great, but the over use of that metal look is getting to me in a bad way. I liked the era back where there was the lamp iMac, iBook, and eMac in white cases and the PowerBook and Power Mac in the gray/metal looking cases. That really drew the line between consumer macs and the pro macs.

I also miss the Apple Pro keyboards that had a plastic part covering up the space between arrow keys and the keypad. That kept things a little cleaner. This new keyboard is a step in a better direction for that, but I like having beefier keys.

Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2007, 06:24 PM

I like the power button on the keyboard

DaveNinja
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2007, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by wolfen View Post
Really? I was just in the Durham store and they were all shifty-eyed every time we asked if they had the new iMacs in stock? This was after the announcement and everything. "Uh...hey...I dunno. Y'know?" Everybody on the floor was acting completely clueless. So I left.

I called a couple of hours later and asked and they said maybe in the next day or two. Sigh.

Yeah, us too. You effing nerd.

damn right, i'm a nerd. i cant wait to see karazhan in hi res tonight.
i got my at the sacramento store. it was packed at like 1:30 on a weekday. they had like 15 apple store employees working there. i was the only person buying stuff that just came out today. i could believe how busy the store was and that it wasnt people lined up wanting the new comps.
daveninja.com

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2007, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by theNewiMacsSuck View Post
But the POINT of a laptop keyboard is to save space. What is this doing on a desktop?! People LIKE numberpads. They use them for taxes, for anything business related, for gaming, etc. Not having one sucks. So does having laptop keys on a desktop.
I hate numpads, don't think I have touched one in years and years despite typing a lot of numbers when coding.

and I really miss my powerbooks flat keyboard sometimes

So I love it!

CIA
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2007, 06:33 PM

New wired keyboard finally has USB 2.0. Welcome to 2003.
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2007, 06:45 PM

that is a freaking awesome comparison...
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

CIA
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2007, 06:56 PM

Does the new iMac use SO-Dimms for memory or the standard desktop type?
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2007, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
damn right, i'm a nerd. i cant wait to see karazhan in hi res tonight.
Please let us know what kind of framerate you get there. Ought to help settle the debate over the graphics card.
Chuck
___

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2007, 07:07 PM

Not stoked. The new case is pretty ugly, also pro models should be aluminum and consumer models should be plastic. The new keyboard doesn't belong on a desk, laptop keyboards are a pain to type on, putting one on a desk just makes it even worse. I would've at least expected a MBP style keyboard and not a MB style one. The slower video card is also kinda lame, using ATI graphics is just a little bit ridiculous when the nvidia graphics are cheaper and faster. Hopefully they do a better job updating the mac pros when the time comes.

Anyways, I'm just waiting for apple to package trackpads instead of mice.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2007, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by CIA View Post
Does the new iMac use SO-Dimms for memory or the standard desktop type?
SO-DIMM
Chuck
___

rubaiyat
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2007, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by iM@k View Post
1. that's what TV tuners are for.
So you have a large computer screen next to your larger TV screen? Apple's designer look ends up more like a Chinese laundry basket after you add it to a working setup.

2.required tohold the glass, and reduces glare that you're all fretting about.
I think the objection is to the combination of finishes which is glaringly contrasty compared to the previous models.

3. These aren't pro machines
Nonsense. These have become the workhorse computer in many design studios.

4. Number pads aren't really needed, if you're one of the few that do need one, there are plenty of options for you
I don't think you are a designer judging by your statements. The numeric keypad is used in several applications to apply styles amongst other uses.

5. Glossy=beautiful. I've been using a glossy screen for about two years now, and I appreciate it's clarity. If you desperately need matte, get any antiglare screen film, and put it on geez.
I don't mind the glossy glass, having an older iMac G5 with a soft plastic screen that is hard to keep clean. However I appreciate Photoshop users would like to not have glare problems.

I think you forgot to mention use hairspray or simply spit food all over it as "solutions".
I look forward to a future where the present will be in the past.

rubaiyat
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2007, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Koralatov View Post
You know you're totally beyond help when you actually, genuinely laugh aloud upon seeing the above image.
Actually my iMac G5 with all the peripherals hanging off it looks more like the right hand example.

iM@k
Senior User
Aug 7, 2007, 07:34 PM

1. No video input, on a computer that's basically a living room computer
2. Ugly black border between the edge of the iMac's aluminum frame and the display itself.
3. SLOWER videocard (7600GT is MUCH faster than the new Radeon HD Pro)
4. Crap keyboard without numberpad and laptop style keys.
5. GLOSSY GOD DAMN SCREENS. WHY!? WHY!??!!? Who the hell thought this was a good idea? Are their actually customers that like this, or just ones that THINK they are supposed to like it, since it's new and different? Why the hell is this better? TVs strive to avoid glare! Now Apple ADDS glare and claims it's an improvement! WTF.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=rubaiyat;3449969]So you have a large computer screen next to your larger TV screen? Apple's designer look ends up more like a Chinese laundry basket after you add it to a working setup.

uhhh, by tv tuner I'm referring to a small box that allows you input tv/video signals on the computer, thereby eliminating the tv monitor all together

I think the objection is to the combination of finishes which is glaringly contrasty compared to the previous models.

meh

Nonsense. These have become the workhorse computer in many design studios.

Yes I'm well aware of this, but that's not what Apple wants them used for (see Apple doesn't get what it always wanys either). They WANT design studios to by a fleet of Pro systems for that purpose (I know, cost). And want the consumers to buy the iMacs/Mac Minis

I don't think you are a designer judging by your statements. The numeric keypad is used in several applications to apply styles amongst other uses.

You're correct, by profession I am not currently a designer.

However this is the old one button/two button mouse fiasco all over again: There are plenty of alternatives out that that have number pads with them, you can even get stand alone pads too. But Appple wants to give you what they want you to have. I'm sure they know it's not a good fit for everyone, so they figure if they need it, they can get it on there own.

Further more see my previos response, these are not designed for designers, they're for regular consumers (And I know several who do use the number pad, I'm not applying a blanket statement)

I don't mind the glossy glass, having an older iMac G5 with a soft plastic screen that is hard to keep clean. However I appreciate Photoshop users would like to not have glare problems.

I think you forgot to mention use hairspray or simply spit food all over it as "solutions".

My dear sir, as an Apple loyalist, I would never suggest such atrocities. However I would suggest dimming/shutting of lights, or perhaps a simple remodel with some new windows blinds as alternatives.
What, me worry?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2007, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by rubaiyat View Post
Actually my iMac G5 with all the peripherals hanging off it looks more like the right hand example.
Imagine how the right example would look with peripherals!
Chuck
___

wolfen
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2007, 07:50 PM

Please let us know what kind of framerate you get there. Ought to help settle the debate over the graphics card.
Daveninja, yes please let us know what kind of framerates you get. And the noise level. And stuff.

Please.

Please, Daveninja?

Please?
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

sts24
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2007, 08:05 PM

I have two problems with this comparison

1.) After adding my printer, speakers, external hard disk, and iPod I still have a mess of cables. However, I see their point in saying this is just out of the box stuff.

2.) As I pointed out eariler about the new Apple designs lacking character or personality...notice the SAME EXACT color scheme between the Dell and the iMac.

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2007, 08:05 PM

Depends on how you do it. If you get a nice USB hub you can have all your clutter right behind the desk and still far away from the computer. Really all I need to have connected is my printer, Speakers, tablet, and external HD. But most of that goes through my AirPort Express and USB hub. I just wish they'd get Wireless USB off the ground and put a receiver in the MacBooks and iMacs. I'd love to not have anything but a power cable running to my computer.

quiklee  (op)
Senior User
Aug 7, 2007, 08:06 PM

14 days

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post

Does anybody know how long you can wait before you can't get a free trade-in if you just bought a iMac?
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2007, 08:30 PM

Glossy screen pics wow I don't think I could get used to such a glossy screen.

MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2007, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by sts24 View Post
I have two problems with this comparison

1.) After adding my printer, speakers, external hard disk, and iPod I still have a mess of cables. However, I see their point in saying this is just out of the box stuff.

2.) As I pointed out eariler about the new Apple designs lacking character or personality...notice the SAME EXACT color scheme between the Dell and the iMac.
2. I think thats some form of visual trickery for switchers. Most people on the PC side are used to this look and might find the white to be ugly or toy-ish. I'm no expert, but I'd say there plan is to 'fit in' to attract costumers.
Signature depreciated.

mindwaves
Aug 7, 2007, 08:55 PM

Typing this on my brand new 20'' iMac....yummy!

will be back later....

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2007, 09:01 PM

I've never considered an iMac before, but I'm beginning to see the advantages, purely in terms of screen real estate and... well, hotness

Do they actually have 2 HD bays? (both models)

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2007, 09:03 PM

no, they don't, my bad..

rubaiyat
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2007, 09:21 PM

Imagine how the right example would look with peripherals!
My iMac G5 has:

3 external Hard Drives (2x Fw400, 1 USB 2.0)
1 external CD Burner
1 external DVD burner
1 multi-function scanner/fax/ink jet printer
1 laser printer
1 set external speakers
1 wacom tablet
1 4-port USB 2.0 hub

I'd love a web/iSight cam but guess I'll leave that to the new iMac. Sadly the lack of ports and their positioning is a bit of a downer on the new models.

Still, soon as Leopard is out I'll be down to Apple with my Credit Card hot in my hand!

It's been a hell of a wait and maybe not all we hoped for but it will do the job.

rubaiyat
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2007, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by pyrite View Post
I've never considered an iMac before, but I'm beginning to see the advantages, purely in terms of screen real estate and... well, hotness

Do they actually have 2 HD bays? (both models)
I thought not, despite Time Machine in Leopard needing a 2nd drive.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2007, 09:41 PM

I haven't followed this thread much but I used the new iMacs today in the 5th Ave, NY Apple Store. They're really nice. The keyboard looks good with the new aluminium enclosure.

Looking on Apple's store the top of the line model has a core 2 extreme instead of the core 2 duo cpu.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2007, 09:56 PM

"In the box:
iMac
Apple Keyboard
Mighty Mouse
Apple Remote
Cleaning cloth
Power cord
Install/restore DVDs
Printed and electronic documentation"

hmmm...has a cleaning cloth always come with the iMac??
another reason to not like the glossy screen...
( Last edited by fisherKing; Aug 7, 2007 at 10:16 PM. )
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2007, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
I like the power button on the keyboard
yeah, I SO wish that was actually for the iMac, and not just to turn off the wireless keyboard

The power button on old mac keyboards was the best idea ever.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2007, 10:16 PM

Did anyone try to determine if the "chin" is smaller, proportionately, compared to the previous design?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

rubaiyat
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2007, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by pyrite View Post
yeah, I SO wish that was actually for the iMac, and not just to turn off the wireless keyboard

The power button on old mac keyboards was the best idea ever.
Agreed!!!!

It seems like every great feature Apple sells us, gets taken away in the spirit of being more like Windows.

rubaiyat
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2007, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
Looking on Apple's store the top of the line model has a core 2 extreme instead of the core 2 duo cpu.
Did you get to compare the 2?

Be interesting to know if it is really worth the extra they are asking for it.

btw I'm in Australia and I rang my local Apple Centre to see when the new models will be in store. As an aside I asked what the older 24" models have been discounted by. Turns out to be a lousy A$200 (US$235). Can't see who'd pass up on the new keyboard, new software, OS (when it arrives) faster CPU and larger hard drive for such a small difference.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2007, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
A cleaning cloth currently comes with the Cinema Displays, which are matte.

Lava Lamp Freak
Aug 7, 2007, 10:46 PM

I don't know about the previous iMacs, but cleaning cloths are included with the Cinema Displays.

chendeng
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2007, 10:47 PM

so,somebody know iPhone tools for Mac?How about the iSkysoft DVD to iPhone Converter for Mac?Anybody know wether it's good for Mac?
I'd like to find one software for my new Mac

ChrisA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2007, 10:58 PM

damn!
i've been waiting for these, but...no matte screen option?
My guess is they did this to ensure that iMac sales do not cannibalize the Mac Pro/ACD. I'm sure they know well that no professional photographer or editor would ever want a glossy screen. For them color fidelity is "everything".

Also they save no small amount or money by skipping the anti-glare coating. I think the guy who invented lite beer was a genius. Who would have thought they could simply add water to beer and people would still pay the same price for it. By calling it "lite" he created a demand for even cheaper to make beer. Same with these screens by calling them "glossy" rather then say "non-anti-reflection" or "lacking in anti-glare features" they created a demand for cheaper to make LCDs

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2007, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by rubaiyat View Post
Did you get to compare the 2?

Be interesting to know if it is really worth the extra they are asking for it.
I only got to play with the 20" model since staff were busy swopping the old models for the new models and the few 24" iMacs they had out were in use.
I'm sure some websites (probably barefeats.com) will test the 2.8 core 2 extreme versus the 2.4 core 2 duo. Fore the $500 (U.S.) difference you get the CPU, double the memory, and 180gb more hard drive space. Not bad.
I'm contemplating whether I want to move away from a laptop to a desktop, but if I do, I'll definitely get the core 2 extreme model.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2007, 12:45 AM

For the record, the price difference between the 2.4 GHz model and the 2.8 GHz model is just the cost of the parts. If you BTO a lower-end 24-incher to have identical specs, it will cost exactly the same as a preconfigured 2.8 GHz model.
Chuck
___

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 8, 2007, 01:04 AM

Hang on, Steve promised all Macs would have LED lit screens this year didn't he? Yet the 15" MB Pro is the only model that appears to have them so far. Huh?

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 8, 2007, 01:41 AM

At last! The new keyboard has proper powered USB 2 ports you can use for your iPod etc, at last USB 1 is gone.

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Aug 8, 2007, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by WOPR View Post
Hang on, Steve promised all Macs would have LED lit screens this year didn't he? Yet the 15" MB Pro is the only model that appears to have them so far. Huh?
I thought he said MacBooks, not Macs.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules