Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > UK Apple Keyboard?

UK Apple Keyboard?
megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 9, 2007, 10:35 AM

Does anyone in the UK have one of Apple's new keyboards? Would they mind posting a nice big photo so as I can see what's been changed? The UK Apple site has the US keyboard, which is not so helpful. Thanks.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2007, 12:43 PM

I ordered one, when Apple's site said 24 hours shippping - but my order now says August 20th ship date

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2007, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce View Post
I ordered one, when Apple's site said 24 hours shippping - but my order now says August 20th ship date
Dang. Do you know if they have them in the Apple Stores yet? Could someone go take a photo?
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2007, 12:07 PM

I might take a visit to the apple store on monday if you can wait that long. I'll bring back my verdict aswell (but unfornately not the keyboard itself ).

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2007, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Andhee View Post
I might take a visit to the apple store on monday if you can wait that long. I'll bring back my verdict aswell (but unfornately not the keyboard itself ).
Mm-hmm, that would be great, thanks. It would be so much easier if Apple would just use local keyboards on their website, but I guess that would need lots more rendering.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2007, 02:25 PM

Took a quick snap for you.. Not perfectly clear, but you can still see the important stuff.
http://homepage.mac.com/luapy/newimackb.jpg

Cheers
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2007, 02:41 PM

That looks alright . I have a Macbook setup on my desk with external keyboard mouse and screen when i'm at my desk. Still got the black pro keyboard from my G4, so I'm thinking of getting a keyboard myself. I like the Macbook keyboard, so I'm guessing that the new keyboard feels pretty much the same to use??

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2007, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
That looks alright . I have a Macbook setup on my desk with external keyboard mouse and screen when i'm at my desk. Still got the black pro keyboard from my G4, so I'm thinking of getting a keyboard myself. I like the Macbook keyboard, so I'm guessing that the new keyboard feels pretty much the same to use??
My mother has a Macbook, so i've used that quite a bit. Strangely, although the keyboards look very similar. I don't think they feel the same to type on. Its hard to say exactly how it differs, especially as im not near the MacBook right now. It just is different. But if anything, the new iMac keyboard is nicer than the MacBook one. It takes a little getting used to, as it feels very different to a regular older style Apple keyboard. But its perfectly decent enough really.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2007, 06:58 PM

The main difference between the UK and US ones appears to be a tiny return key, smaller than the one on the keypad.
The pics of the US ones on the Apple site show a single line key, about as along a one and a half keys on the row above. The Uk board's return however runs on to two rows, the top being one key wide, the 2nd only half a key wide (like an upside down L)

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2007, 08:12 AM

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!
UK KEYBOARD HAS THE ICONS FOR SHIFT/OPTION ETC!

I HATE how the keyboard on the Apple site has "Shift" / "Option" / "Caps Lock" etc on the keys. But the UK keyboard has all these wonderful symbols, looks so cool.

I was worried they would be dumping them

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2007, 08:59 AM

I never realised that! I always thought it was just the £ and € signs on top of 3 and 2 that was different between the UK and US keyboards (I have both). Yep, the UK ones are more cool .

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2007, 10:35 AM

OK, I'm in the UK applestore site, I want a keyboard. Do I need an 'English' or 'English (International)' keyboard?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2007, 11:31 AM

English has the pound sign on shift-3 and the Euro on alt-2 IIRC. English International has a hash mark on shift-3. The key layout and key sizes are identical IOW they're both different than the US keyboard (icons on keys, tilde next to left shift, long instead of wide return key, etc.). I think the idea is English for Brits, English International for the rest (i.e. that don't have specific keyboards).

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2007, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Grrr View Post
Took a quick snap for you.. Not perfectly clear, but you can still see the important stuff...
Thank you kindly.

Originally Posted by Grrr View Post
My mother has a Macbook, so i've used that quite a bit. Strangely, although the keyboards look very similar. I don't think they feel the same to type on...
Would it have anything to do with the new keyboard being at a slight angle whereas the MacBook's is flat?

Originally Posted by Mediaman_12 View Post
The main difference between the UK and US ones appears to be a tiny return key, smaller than the one on the keypad...
The other main layout differences are the `+~ key being next to the left Shift key (which is therefore narrower) instead of above Tab and the \+| key being below the ]+} one instead of to its right, on account of the tall rather than wide Return key.

Originally Posted by sushiism View Post
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!
UK KEYBOARD HAS THE ICONS FOR SHIFT/OPTION ETC!

I HATE how the keyboard on the Apple site has "Shift" / "Option" / "Caps Lock" etc on the keys. But the UK keyboard has all these wonderful symbols, looks so cool.
This is the main reason I was wanting to see a photo. The opposite of you, I was hoping Apple would take this opportunity to use words instead of symbols on the UK keyboard. Or if not instead, at least in addition to.

It makes little sense to me that there is "ctrl", "alt" and "cmd" instead of "control", "option" and "command". Also, as menus use the symbols rather than the words, wouldn't it make sense for the Control key to have the ^ symbol on it as the Command and Option keys have their respective ones? Finally, the Home/End and Page Up/Page Down keys irk me the most; their symbols only make sense once you know what they do, not before, and I'd much rather their names be written on them like the US keyboard.

Oh well, it doesn't actually matter, I just hoped they might change things.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2007, 12:30 PM

Yes ctrl should have the correct symbol on it.
But without the option/shift and command symbols on the keys then the menu shortcuts make no sense. Its ctrl thats in the wrong not the other keys and thus the UK keyboard is superior than the US where everything is in the wrong.

Think alt is there for the benefit of accents, not literally saying that key is alt

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2007, 01:34 PM

I picked on up in the Brum Applestore. They are in stock, but did seem to be selling fast.

Strange that the online store won't ship you one for another week !

SeanKarl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2007, 06:03 AM

I also use a PC so the biggest and most annoying difference for me is that the @ and the " are interchanged. Is this the case on both English and English (Int'l) keyboards?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2007, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by SeanKarl View Post
I also use a PC so the biggest and most annoying difference for me is that the @ and the " are interchanged. Is this the case on both English and English (Int'l) keyboards?
The English and English Int'l KBs both have the @ on shift-2.

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2007, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Originally Posted by SeanKarl View Post
The English and English Int'l KBs both have the @ on shift-2.
Is why SeanKarl talked of going between a PC and a Mac; on PCs, the @ is where the " is on a Mac. Strangely, it is one of the things I do not make mistakes on anymore when I go between the two, though obviously it trips up my PC using friends when they use my Mac for a bit.

As to the difference, I guess it's because " is like a variation on ' and so they are on the same key?

Forum Links
Forum Rules