Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Thoughts on the new iMac?

Thoughts on the new iMac? (Page 6)
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2007, 08:57 AM

This iMac is basically just a recolor of the previous iMac. The baseline 20" is almost exactly the same inside as the old 20" iMac. Except the old one is faster. And now cheaper on places like eBay.

D.O.G.S. CEO
Baninated
Aug 14, 2007, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Your car sucks.
Brilliant argument.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2007, 11:32 AM

Bare Feats gaming tests are up. As incredibly lame as predicted. Otherwise, the iMac is killer!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2007, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by D.O.G.S. CEO View Post
Brilliant argument.
I don't think anybody expected you to get the point.

Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2007, 11:43 AM

Hahaha!

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2007, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by MindFad View Post
Bare Feats gaming tests are up. As incredibly lame as predicted. Otherwise, the iMac is killer!
Holy crap.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2007, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by ReardenMetal View Post
Crappy. You can't get good sound out of such small speakers. They will be okay for computer noises, like alerts, but that's about it. They will be pretty horrid for movies, games, and music.
BTW, the built-in speakers on the 20" model at least are quite sensational - for invisible built-in speakers.

Quite a bit better than those on the last model, and more than good enough for workspace background music or watching TV.

I was surprised when I tried them today.

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2007, 12:25 PM

BTW, the built-in speakers on the 20" model at least are quite sensational - for invisible built-in speakers.

Quite a bit better than those on the last model, and more than good enough for workspace background music or watching TV.

I was surprised when I tried them today.
They really are surprisingly good as you have said. Much better than laptop speakers.

D.O.G.S. CEO
Baninated
Aug 14, 2007, 02:48 PM

I'm suprised the speakers are any different at all, considering how similar the machines are. Are you sure they even use different speakers?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2007, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by osxpinot View Post
I saw one of these in the Apple Store, and I've gotta say, I'm pretty unimpressed.

First off, I went in expecting them to be a lot thinner than the white iMacs, but they were not that different.

While the black glass looks pretty cool in the pictures, in person it looks cheap and ugly.

The new keyboard is a total joke. I think they are too damn lazy to design a new mouse, so they had to make the keyboard have white keys. There is no need for white keys or a white mouse when you have a black and silver computer. We have been begging Apple for years to make a pro series keyboard and mouse, but they just sit on their asses and keep this white ****.

There are no notable new features in this machine. First of all, Apple should've built in a battery to this. When a major selling point of a computer is it's portability and ease of installation, then people want a battery so they can move the computer from room to room without shutting it down. Furthermore, when you get into 24" screens, the built-in iSight needs to be on a motor so it can be adjusted. There are oh so many more cool things that this could've had that Apple was too lazy to implement. I feel this was just slopped together. It's been a long time since I've been really excited about a Mac design (Titanium Powerbook was probably the last one). Sometimes I wonder if Apple has lost it.
Disagree pretty much entirely.

And the part about the battery: MacBook WTF?

I do agree, however, that they should have made a goddamn Segway-mounted version.

I mean, if I can't use the damn thing on an outing to the park, it's just no good!

Sometimes I wonder if Apple has lost it.

And then I slap myself and wake up. Hangovers are a bitch.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2007, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by D.O.G.S. CEO View Post
I'm suprised the speakers are any different at all, considering how similar the machines are. Are you sure they even use different speakers?
I have no idea.

But you may have noticed that the case is slightly different than before.

They sound much "tighter" to my ears, with a much more precise bass response than before. Definitely a good improvement.

D.O.G.S. CEO
Baninated
Aug 14, 2007, 03:56 PM

nevermind, you changed some stuff.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2007, 04:10 PM

Yah, sorry - I figured audio quality warranted more than just a sarcastic snap.

Rumor
Aug 14, 2007, 04:27 PM

I do agree, however, that they should have made a goddamn Segway-mounted version.

I think you're on to something. Add a kegerator and maybe some colostomy tubes, and I bet you find a market.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2007, 05:11 PM

I was sold at colostomy tubes!

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2007, 10:11 PM

The chin on the new 24" iMac is 4.25" tall. The chin on my CD iMac is also 4.25" tall. No smaller chin.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Trouble
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2007, 02:21 AM

I have been waiting for the new iMacs to get out of using this windows system.
After a trip to the Apple store on Sunday I won't be getting the new iMac.
I wasn't able to read lettering in web pages inspite the stores effort by turning off all the overhead track lighting.
I had to view the screen from a rather sharp angle.
...and mostly the fact that it's not shippping with Leopard.
If they change the screen option when they ship Leopard I may very well purchase the basic 20" model to satisfy my needs for an internet, word processing, picture viewing and iTunes machine. Thats all.
If I want performance I'll look elsewhere.

hldan
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2007, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I have been waiting for the new iMacs to get out of using this windows system.
After a trip to the Apple store on Sunday I won't be getting the new iMac.
I wasn't able to read lettering in web pages inspite the stores effort by turning off all the overhead track lighting.
I had to view the screen from a rather sharp angle.
...and mostly the fact that it's not shippping with Leopard.
If they change the screen option when they ship Leopard I may very well purchase the basic 20" model to satisfy my needs for an internet, word processing, picture viewing and iTunes machine. Thats all.
If I want performance I'll look elsewhere.
Hey buddy, we got you the first time you wrote this exact line in the forum under a different topic. How many times do you need to tell us that you aren't getting the new iMac. No jokes, but Leopard not being included in the current line shouldn't be a deal breaker. People are spending hundreds to upgrade to Vista on their old PC hardware.
( Last edited by hldan; Aug 15, 2007 at 02:37 AM. )

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2007, 07:12 AM

Another thing I noticed...

Does the new iMac say "iMac" on it anywhere? I thought there was just the smooth apple logo on the back and nothing else, but I didn't look too closely.

With those video benchmarks, a refurbed 24" iMac previous generation is looking pretty tempting...

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2007, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
Does the new iMac say "iMac" on it anywhere? I thought there was just the smooth apple logo on the back and nothing else, but I didn't look too closely.
Nope. From what I've seen there's just an Apple logo on the back.

Super Mario
Aug 15, 2007, 08:43 AM

Take a look at the iMac's top quality competition. Look at the crap Sony offers in their Vaio LS series. This is their top model.

VGC-LS37E
19" screen @ 1680x1050
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7200 @ 2Ghz with 667Mhz bus
320GB HDD (maximum)
NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7400 graphics processing unit with shared memory
$2,049.99 + TAX
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 03:05 PM. )

dbranham
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2007, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by hldan View Post
Hey buddy, we got you the first time you wrote this exact line in the forum under a different topic. How many times do you need to tell us that you aren't getting the new iMac. No jokes, but Leopard not being included in the current line shouldn't be a deal breaker. People are spending hundreds to upgrade to Vista on their old PC hardware.
LOL
Old Times There Are Not Forgotten

Dagny
Baninated
Aug 15, 2007, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
The chin on the new 24" iMac is 4.25" tall. The chin on my CD iMac is also 4.25" tall. No smaller chin.
I really don't think it's much thinner either. At all. From the side they look identical, save for different colors.

Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 11:22 AM

They are the same, depth wise, what apple did was made the sides thinner by making the back bulge bigger. Cheap.

Dagny
Baninated
Aug 15, 2007, 12:02 PM

Huh. So basically all the apple fans that were like OMG SMALLER CHIN OMG ITS SO THIN OMG THE RADEON MUST BE FASTAR!!!! are all totally wrong.

Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 12:04 PM

Did you work that out all by yourself??!

So proud

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2007, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
They are the same, depth wise, what apple did was made the sides thinner by making the back bulge bigger. Cheap.
It's very effective, though, if you see them side by side.

The new ones do look a lot thinner.

Dagny
Baninated
Aug 15, 2007, 12:09 PM

fanboi.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2007, 12:10 PM

? Effective? Personally for an iMac, there are diminishing returns for "thinness". I just hope this design choice isn't why Apple decided to use the 2600 Pro.

Dagny
Baninated

Why is this a selling point? Do people ever really stare at their computer from the side? Who gives a **** if it's thinner or not? I really don't understand why people were like "OMG ITS THINNER SO AWESOME I WANT ONE EVEN THOUGH THE LCD IS **** AND THE GRAPHICS ARE A DRIED UP DONKEY TURD!!"

Professional Poster

Originally Posted by Insecure Joe
So did you pull Steve Job's dick out of your mouth yet? Just wondering, fanboi.
Not a fanboy, just making fun of your needless post to make yourself feel like you're so much better than all those Apple "freaks".

Originally Posted by more insecurities
Why is this a selling point? Do people ever really stare at their computer from the side? Who gives a **** if it's thinner or not? I really don't understand why people were like "OMG ITS THINNER SO AWESOME I WANT ONE EVEN THOUGH THE LCD IS **** AND THE GRAPHICS ARE A DRIED UP DONKEY TURD!!"
Wow, you're on the way, out Mr. Troll.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2007, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dagny View Post
Huh. So basically all the apple fans that were like OMG SMALLER CHIN OMG ITS SO THIN OMG THE RADEON MUST BE FASTAR!!!! are all totally wrong.
Yeah, and all the people causing it to sell out are all totally stupid.

Except Ca$h.

And that Windows user who's probably posted that exact post informing us that he *won't* be buying at this time (thanks much for the update; I'll be sure to tell my aunt about your decision) verbatim six time on various forums here by now, and another dozen or two on other forums on the web.

They so smart. S-M-R-T.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2007, 12:14 PM

Granted, the iMac will still sell well, but I do think they'll lose a portion of the higher end (but not Mac Pro) crowd.

Maybe Apple just thinks they'll get them back in 2008, when they seriously update the specs.

Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 12:15 PM

Hush, silly. Apple knows best.

Did anyone get a whiff of the "We Know What's Best for You" in the new iMacs and iLife?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2007, 12:18 PM

You're a ****ing moron, Ca$h.

Why do people like pretty things that do way more than they need? Why would they choose the prettier one, given a choice of several devices, all of which are complete overkill for what they wish to do?

Why the hell are you such an asshole? Why don't you get the message?

Why don't you try therapy?

Why is belligerence the U.S. administration's idea of foreign policy?

Why did Milli Vanilli start believing they were actually responsible for their own success?

Why do people care for color TV? The news are the same in black and white. Why is color a selling point?

Why do I even bother? (Don't answer that one. I know I'm a loser for bothering.)

Why do some people prefer sunny weather when rain is so much more important?

Why the **** are you hung up about some stupid computer graphics card on a machine YOU ****ING WOULDN'T BE BUYING ANYWAY when there are SO MANY better questions to get to answering.

Go argue cars or something.

Somewhere else.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2007, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Granted, the iMac will still sell well, but I do think they'll lose a portion of the higher end (but not Mac Pro) crowd.
The glass, the black frame, and the aluminum are *very* deliberately borrowed iPhone design cues.

This machine is the first new hardware design from Apple since the iPhone hype put them on the front page of every news site on the planet eight months ago, and again six weeks ago.

This machine is the first computer release I've seen from Apple that actually drew small crowds of people, causing customer clumping at our store.

Add the fact that the pricing is really at a sweet spot, and I think Apple are playing their cards *extremely* well at the moment.

rubaiyat
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2007, 12:45 PM

Whoa, temper temper boys!

Heaped abuse does not an argument make.

Frankly I still hold that shiny and thin do not make up for a flawed workstation. Not unless you just load up your desk with designer toys (the thinking man's kitsch) so you can fill your day polishing them.
I look forward to a future where the present will be in the past.

Trouble
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2007, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by hldan View Post
LOL
...as many times as it takes to sink in.
Who are you? My bad, I didn't realize your power and authority here.

Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 02:01 PM

But why would you think that "sinking it in" to us about you NOT buying an iMac would matter?

P
Aug 15, 2007, 02:31 PM

Are you honestly surprised that looks can sell stuff? Welcome to that superficial place we like to call reality. Apple will gain far more customers on the iMac's looks than they will lose on its GPU, which is why they did it. No harder than that.

Trouble
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2007, 03:46 PM

But why would you think that "sinking it in" to us about you NOT buying an iMac would matter?

Ok, let's get into it.

All I did was make a comment about NOT wanting one. Then some Richard Cabeza got all twisted by it and replied with...

hldan
"Hey buddy, we got you the first time you wrote this exact line in the forum under a different topic. How many times do you need to tell us that you aren't getting the new iMac. No jokes, but Leopard not being included in the current line shouldn't be a deal breaker. People are spending hundreds to upgrade to Vista on their old PC hardware."

Any further responses are a waste of time really...so

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2007, 03:54 PM

Wow, I'm really flabbergasted. Cash and a couple of other morons have managed to destroy a perfectly fine thread on the new iMac.

Hellooooo moderators? Anyone around? How many others here need to go apeshit until something happens?

Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 03:59 PM

Shall we go back on topic?

Does anyone with the iMac think/ feel it is any faster than the old iMac. (not in terms of numbers, does it actually FEEL faster?)

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2007, 06:15 PM

not in terms of numbers

When I went to the apple store, I was on the base model and it felt perfectly fine for me. Big improvement from what I've ever had.

Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 06:20 PM

What was there to laugh at? Unless I made a mistake I don't see...

Anyway. That's the model I was considering going for. Until I realized that for less money, I can get a faster (2.16 Ghz) 20" iMac from the last cycle on eBay.

Do you tihnk it's worth it just for the new look and (minimal) features?

hldan
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2007, 08:25 PM

But we're not wrong about you being a big fat TROLL!

Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 08:36 PM

See, that's over, so you're off topic. Want to answer my question to redeem yourself?

hldan
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2007, 08:44 PM

Thank you! Trouble, we could care less that you don't want the iMac. As far as I am concerned that means one more available since they are so popular that none of the Apple stores have them in stock and I live in the San Francisco Bay Area where the majority of their stores reside.

Trouble, funny that you don't want one but the Apple is selling them like crazy.
So what's the point of your post??? Nothing, it's pointless just like you.

dbranham
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2007, 10:41 PM

Funny how innocuous threads degrade into pissing matches. It's a reminder that humans are indeed animals. Some have simply evolved a bit more than others (everyone here knows to whom I refer).
Old Times There Are Not Forgotten

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 16, 2007, 07:07 PM

Boo hoo so you bought a white iMac a few weeks ago, so what better get used to the new ones because the G5 style is dead.

Forum Links
Forum Rules