Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > new raccoon iMac dead

new raccoon iMac dead
mindwaves
Sep 7, 2007, 03:32 PM

Yes, my raccoon iMac has died on me a few days ago. It all happened like this: I was copying some files from my old iMac (17'' 1.9 G5) to my new iMac (20'' 2.0) and viewing a video when my computer completely locked up. I didn't try to login remotely via ssh or anything because the simple solution for me was to hold down the power key and recycle power which I did. The problem was that after I had done that, the boot chime will chime for 1 second and then reboot itself indefinitely.

No holding down the various keyboard tricks work because my computer is only on for one second before it reboots. I'm taking it in to an Apple Store today.

Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2007, 04:10 PM

The sucks majorly.

stuffedmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2007, 04:22 PM

DOA stuff is the worst.... sorry dude.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2007, 04:48 PM

another glossy-screen related death...

sorry, dude, tho better to happen sooner than, say, a month in.
make them give you a 24" imac for your trouble...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 7, 2007, 08:00 PM

Was there anything special about the video you were watching? Anything about the software you were using to view it? How were you copying files from the G5?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mindwaves  (op)
Sep 7, 2007, 10:27 PM

Nothing special about anything. I was copying files via afp over an ethernet cable.

Apple was kind enough to replace my entire computer which was quite unexpected. I got a new one today.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 8, 2007, 07:54 AM

Wow. It sounds like they sort of "knew something about the problem". I'm glad you got a replacement, and that it was so fast. I'm going to be kind of careful about copying files while watching videos though...too much hassle involved in your situation, even with getting a replacement computer for your trouble.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

t.s.melliot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2007, 02:18 PM

My wife purchased a 2.8Ghz 24" iMac within a week after their release. She was able to pick it up about a week ago and was very impressed with the machine. After about 5 days it refused to mount any discs (CD or DVD). It would accept the disc and would then spin it for 20 or 30 seconds before ejecting it. When we first spoke with the computer store, they said to bring it in so they could run a diagnostic on it to confirm the problem. Once they confirmed the problem they said they could call it DOA and get us a replacement. However, once we got there they did their best to convince us that it would be easiest for everyone involved if we just let them replace the drive. We left a little dissatisfied but my thought was that if this was an issue with the 2.8Ghz iMacs in general, whose to say that our replacement machine wouldn't do the same thing. Later that evening I realized my wife's frustration had not subsided so we talked about it and her point was that, when you buy a new machine you should get a new machine. Once a Tech outside of the factory opens the computer and replaces something it becomes a refurbished machine, which is ok if you payed a refurbished price. However, for $2200 she expected her brand new computer to last longer than a week before it needed service! We called the store and although they didn't seem terribly excited about it they didn't really give us any trouble when we asked to have it declared DOA but they did say that it would most likely be another couple weeks before we got our replacement. I sure hope our replacement is the SHINNY new flawless machine of our dreams.

Forum Links
Forum Rules