Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Does this bother anyone else if Safari?

Does this bother anyone else if Safari?
Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2007, 09:31 AM

I'd consider this a nitpick, but its something that's become more prevalent in our high-bandwith world.

Basically, when I open a page (Let's say a post your set-up thread here at MacNN), and go to the middle of the page to read a post, I have to contend with the page constantly moving up on me as pictures are loaded. The heavier a thread is littered with images, the worse it is (not to mention its twice as fun when the page starts shrinking as the resizer kicks in).

Wouldn't it be more natural (and a better user experience) if when a new image loaded above where you were reading, the scrollbar just expanded up, rather than push the rest of the contents of the page down? Could that be programmed in?

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2007, 09:44 AM

I find that terribly annoying too, which is why I just wait for the page to be done. Hopefully, if my area ever gets anything better than satellite internet (or dial-up), I won't really have this problem.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2007, 10:19 AM

I agree, really annoying on any threads with many pictures. I doubt Apple will do anything though, as I guess everyone just accepts this situation. We should all send feedback.

mindwaves
Sep 12, 2007, 10:57 AM

I agree, but doesn't that happen in every browser? I like your alternative though.

Dakarʒ  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2007, 10:58 AM

Yeah, I said Safari but I meant any browser, pretty much.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2007, 11:12 AM

Sure, it happens in any browser, but Apple should be the one to fix it

Dakarʒ  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2007, 11:13 AM

Well, I'd like it fixed in my browser of choice. I wouldn't switch to Firefox even if they addressed the problem.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2007, 11:29 AM

Yes very annoying.... the page should expand around your current view point!!!

I find it a bit annoying when you hit back in safari and it will show you the top of the page until its all loaded, then it jumps down to where you were b4 hand!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

Dakarʒ  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2007, 11:35 AM

Yeah that too.

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2007, 12:26 PM

yeah both of those problems annoy me too. i've started to wait for it to load but sometimes i don't and it jumps around on me
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2007, 03:33 PM

This happens when people don't specify width and height in their image tag, the browser doesn't know what space to reserve for the image

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2007, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by sushiism View Post
This happens when people don't specify width and height in their image tag, the browser doesn't know what space to reserve for the image
This is the main problem, with no way to really fix it. For 'valid' HTML you should be specifying image sizes, so when the browser renders the page without the image, there is a correct sized space left.
The reason why it's super annoying on forums like these is that sometimes you get a sort of 'double hit'. As first the browser loads the rest of the page containing the image of unknown size, the image has to catch up and loads in moments later, shoving in to the rest of the page making the text reflow, then as the forum software catches an over sized image, it scales it down.

Curiosity
Senior User
Sep 13, 2007, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
I agree, but doesn't that happen in every browser? I like your alternative though.
If you have Firefox set to use image placeholders, the text does not shift when the images load. So, no, it does not have to happen on all browsers.

Fred33
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2007, 09:21 AM

I tell you I just put Firefox on my pc and they have some many options its great. I like how customizable it is to use.

Dakarʒ  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2007, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by sushiism View Post
Is it possible to do that in forum tags, though? (Though honestly, even if it is, its really not worth the time, is it?)

Forum Links
Forum Rules