Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Effects in just a selection area

Effects in just a selection area
threestain
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2007, 07:04 AM

Hi there,

Might seem a stupid question, and have searched here, on the GraphicConverter site and in the manual to no avail. So apologies if it's been asked before!

In Photoshop, you can select an area of a photo and apply an effect (e.g. pixellate) to just that area.

In GraphicConverter and Pixelmator you can only apply it to the entire image, unless I'm missing a trick. I hope I am and that someone can help me with it! Any help would be most appreciated!

Tristan

threestain  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2007, 04:37 AM

don't worry, Thorsten from Lemke has told me - not currently supported by core image so neither program will do it...

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2007, 05:42 AM

Interesting.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

threestain  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2007, 03:18 AM

I know - it seems a bit perverse that it's just down to core image and they aren't able to utilise the same mechanisms as Photoshop. Especially for GC - it's a long standing app!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2007, 10:49 AM

Why on earth would they be able to "utilize the same mechanisms as Photoshop"? Photoshop is a completely closed-source, proprietary competitor. It's not like they're just going to give away their filter code to GraphicConverter.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2007, 10:55 AM

couldnt they just program it to duplicate the selected part, apply effect then merge it back

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2007, 10:59 AM

That's what I was wondering.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

threestain  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2007, 04:13 AM

ok, sorry Chuckit, maybe I should possibly have re-phrased my assertion. How about 'should they not have a feature similar to that of the class-leader, photoshop, so that they can compete on better terms?'

Obviously Adobe are not going to help out a direct competitor, but equally the guys at Lemkesoft should be (and I'm sure they are) working on such disparities if they feel it is worthy of work, which they do. The hope to have the feature in the code base in a the near future.

However, I personally, as a non-developer, would have thought that having the ability to apply an effect to a specifically targeted area would be most beneficial.

zro
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2007, 10:24 AM

Then there's Acorn.

Flying Meat: Acorn

Forum Links
Forum Rules