Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > I just don't *get* Quicksilver

I just don't *get* Quicksilver (Page 2)
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2007, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
OMG that is like a microsecond!!1

I am switching.
Actually, for one task I just timed, the difference is about 20 seconds (20 seconds with Dock vs. less than one second with Quicksilver). Granted, for other tasks, the difference may be more like five seconds or less (I don't know anyone who can grab the mouse, get to the Dock, make it appear and accurately click an icon in less than a second), but still, not having to interrupt my flow for five seconds is quite nice.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 3, 2007, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by MrForgetable View Post
You don't really have to learn. The program learns for you.
Right, Jorge, this program is like magic and little elves within the program learn what app you want to launch by mysteriously figuring out what app you're thinking about when you're mashing some keys on your keyboard.

Damn you, Apple! Why can't you make Spotlight read my mind. Right now I'm thinking about TextEdit and it's not launching.

IronPen
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 3, 2007, 04:19 PM

[QUOTE=Horsepoo!!!;3497479]Yeah...the big problem is devoting all that time and all that memory to creating and remembering the shortcuts.

Your examples seem clear for someone that uses a handful of apps: a for adium, m for mail...but what if you have Adium and Address Book. One could be 'a' and the other could be 'ab' but are you telling us that you or anyone else could instantly remember dozens of these little shortcuts? Sure, you're the one that created the shortcuts so it should be easier but human memory is human memory, and the shortcut to an app you haven't accessed recently will probably be a tad difficult to remember.

It's not that bad, really. But I admit that some people like the traditional approach of using the dock and mouse. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Learning to use QS for me was easy and fun. I like the interfaces they have too. And even if you don't remember all of your shortcuts, I still think it is a useful tool. You don't even have to remember the exact shortcut. Like for Address Book I just start typing a-d-d hey, there it is! Same with other apps, URLs, files, etc. Just type the name and QS will look through the index (just like Spotlight) and allow you to find the thing you want and take an action on it, not just open it. Spotlight won't do that for you. Again, just trying to help those of you who haven't used it what it offers.
MacBook C2D 2.0GHz/Combo/2GB RAM

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2007, 07:32 PM

Just start typing the name of the App is what I do.
Add for Address Book,
Sa for Safari
Ad for Adium

It can be awfully quick, and my screen is too small to nicely keep everything in my dock. Plus, launching Applications that you don't often use (like Address Book).

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 3, 2007, 08:20 PM

again quicksilver will not make me anymore productive than the dock is now.

For one, I usually keep most of the apps I use constantly at work running all the time.
For two, I've used it. I can hit the dock just as fast as typing a letter or two.

If you think you get some sort of benefit from it, cool. I have no problem with that.

But I simply don't.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2007, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!! View Post
Right, Jorge, this program is like magic and little elves within the program learn what app you want to launch by mysteriously figuring out what app you're thinking about when you're mashing some keys on your keyboard.
If you're randomly mashing keys, no, it won't learn. If you're typing in things that are meaningful to you, however, there will be a pattern to the things you enter, and the program can learn that.
Chuck
___

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 3, 2007, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
If you're randomly mashing keys, no, it won't learn. If you're typing in things that are meaningful to you, however, there will be a pattern to the things you enter, and the program can learn that.
Maybe I should give Quicksilver a try...looks interesting. I still don't understand how it associates the key combination with the program.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2007, 10:01 PM

Damn you, Apple! Why can't you make Spotlight read my mind. Right now I'm thinking about TextEdit and it's not launching.
Cute little elves, too.
iamwhor3hay

underwood
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2007, 01:38 AM

Maybe I should give Quicksilver a try...looks interesting. I still don't understand how it associates the key combination with the program.
and not to be so vile...and sarcastic. last i remember no one here is arguing about anything.

QS = preference. If you tried it and didnt like it, that's fine.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 4, 2007, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by underwood View Post
QS = preference. If you tried it and didnt like it, that's fine.
To you it is. To some it's not. They act like you are REALLY MISSING OUT if you don't use it. I find apps like PTHclipboard more useful and time saving over all.

And check this out

Should an app launcher be taking that much memory?
( Last edited by Kevin; Oct 4, 2007 at 05:36 AM. )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2007, 06:18 AM

That's three times what it takes on my system. Then again, I just about never look at memory usage numbers. In my ranks of trust, it goes something like "…lawyers, politicians, memory use numbers…"
Chuck
___

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 4, 2007, 06:26 AM

Well when your system slows down because of it, It's hard to ignore.

Thats a lot of memory for a app launcher.

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 4, 2007, 09:28 AM

0) It's a lot more than just an app launcher
1) I'm not seeing numbers anywhere near yours - I'm seeing more like 16.5 MB.
2) Even if I were, on my laptop I've got 1.5 GB and my desktop has 2. So that'd be about 4.4 or 3.3% of my real memory. Quicksilver is more than worth that.
3) Especially since Safari, on my laptop, is currently eating 367 MB. That's a lot of memory for a web browser... Entourage and its Database Daemon eat up 100 MB. Ditto for an email client.
4) I remember my old C-64 with 38K of usable RAM, so I never cease to be amazed at the memory usage of modern apps.
5) Of course, the corollary of that is how amazingly cheap memory and disk space have become.

I actually think QuickSilver is a miracle of modern software engineering, and as useful to me as Google. I use it every day - many, many times a day. It doesn't have magic elves, but it does look at my statistical usage patterns so if I use Adium more than Address Book, when I type "Ad" it'll choose for me based on the fact that I've been typing the letter "i" next more often... so I can stop at two characters almost all the time. And if I don't want it to take the time to figure that out, I can tell it to associate keys with apps. I wish all my apps were that smart.

Even if it took a chunk of memory for them to be that smart. My time is more valuable to me than a few memory sticks.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2007, 11:31 AM

As eggman said, it's a whole lot more than just an app launcher.

I suspect that screenshot was taken right when Quicksilver was updating its catalog or something (coincidence? I hope).

I have a hell of a lot of the plugins installed, an uptime of about 9 days, and I'm only at around 35 MB.

At any rate, I'm not saying that you must like it. If you have given it an honest shot and it wasn't for you, then that's fine.
( Last edited by cybergoober; Oct 4, 2007 at 12:47 PM. Reason: corrected terminology)

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 4, 2007, 05:01 PM

Mine's at 124MB

I love QS - it saves me a little bit of time every day, and that adds up.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2007, 06:08 PM

Well when your system slows down because of it, It's hard to ignore.

Geez, it seems like every program anyone brings up here slows your system down. What on earth are you using that can't handle things my old PowerBook has no problem with? (I'm not trying to be catty — I'm seriously wondering. I generally figure that if my computer can handle something, anybody's should these days.)
Chuck
___

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 5, 2007, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by eggman View Post
0) It's a lot more than just an app launcher
1) I'm not seeing numbers anywhere near yours - I'm seeing more like 16.5 MB.
2) Even if I were, on my laptop I've got 1.5 GB and my desktop has 2. So that'd be about 4.4 or 3.3% of my real memory. Quicksilver is more than worth that.
3) Especially since Safari, on my laptop, is currently eating 367 MB. That's a lot of memory for a web browser... Entourage and its Database Daemon eat up 100 MB. Ditto for an email client.
4) I remember my old C-64 with 38K of usable RAM, so I never cease to be amazed at the memory usage of modern apps.
5) Of course, the corollary of that is how amazingly cheap memory and disk space have become.

I actually think QuickSilver is a miracle of modern software engineering, and as useful to me as Google. I use it every day - many, many times a day. It doesn't have magic elves, but it does look at my statistical usage patterns so if I use Adium more than Address Book, when I type "Ad" it'll choose for me based on the fact that I've been typing the letter "i" next more often... so I can stop at two characters almost all the time. And if I don't want it to take the time to figure that out, I can tell it to associate keys with apps. I wish all my apps were that smart.

Even if it took a chunk of memory for them to be that smart. My time is more valuable to me than a few memory sticks.
I think quicksilver and it's rah rahing has you believing you are saving more time than you actually are.

For example, I just downloaded it. Installed it. Even set up some nice key combos that you have to memorize.

When all and all was done, my old lady timed me. QS didn't take me any less time to launch a program than me just clicking on a dock icon.

Like others have pointed it. It's purely psychosomatic.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 5, 2007, 06:23 AM

Geez, it seems like every program anyone brings up here slows your system down.
No, not at all. For example Pacifist. Never had a problem with it. Nor the betas. But of course I am not running it constantly.
What on earth are you using that can't handle things my old PowerBook has no problem with? (I'm not trying to be catty — I'm seriously wondering. I generally figure that if my computer can handle something, anybody's should these days.)
My system is pretty lean. It has no hacks or additions other than one shareware app I added to it. I am not doing anything.

When an application takes up more memory and CPU time than It does it's usefulness to me, then it's time to trash it.

I don't think I ever said that it made MY system slow... Though it's very possible it could. That screenshot wasn't mine. It was from someone else.

I again just installed it last night. Still wasn't impressed. Though to be honest I never got it to hit 64megs of mem usage. Though it does like to take up a ton of CPU time while in use.

Something that saves more time to me are apps like PTHPasteboard.

Now THAT is a time saver.

underwood
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2007, 08:32 AM

LOL that's actually my screenshot. Its never that high usually, maybe its cataloguing in the background(running a scan on the system to check for changes and what not), it does that periodically. Probably that.

Its running at 22.46mb now for me.

sidenote: now safari is the real memory hogger.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 6, 2007, 06:41 AM

22megs is still alot for an application launcher.

And I showed Safari running the same three tabs with only 40 some megs taken up.

BTW when I had quicksilver installed it was taken up a lot more than 22 megs And it wasn't "scanning"

I also dislike a lot of heaving on the CPU/RAM background tasks. One reason I'd never run a virus program.

And it's just another reason for me to never install Quicksilver again.

underwood
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2007, 07:20 AM

Again, it is not JUST an app launcher. Does a lot more things.

Arguing is moot, if you dont like it and dont think it does you good, dont use it. But stop preaching "if its useless to you, it's crap for everyone else".

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 6, 2007, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by underwood View Post
Again, it is not JUST an app launcher. Does a lot more things.
I was just using it as a app launcher. I didn't have it doing "more things"
The people here are touting it as the ultimate fastest app launcher. I am not interested in the other things it does. So to me, having it installed, and taking up that much power is simply not worth the .009th of a second it might save me.
But stop preaching "if its useless to you, it's crap for everyone else".
I never once said that. I said it wasn't FOR ME. So stop telling me to stop doing things I'm not.

However people in here are telling me "You don't understand" or "You don't know what you are missing"

I am being told that the way I am doing things now is not as superior as the way they are because they have quicksilver installed.

I've never seen you jump these people for it. Why?

I am not saying it's crap for everyone. I am saying there are people in here that are exaggerating it's importance. Esp to those that simply have no need for it.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 6, 2007, 08:00 AM

Actually, for one task I just timed, the difference is about 20 seconds (20 seconds with Dock vs. less than one second with Quicksilver). Granted, for other tasks, the difference may be more like five seconds or less (I don't know anyone who can grab the mouse, get to the Dock, make it appear and accurately click an icon in less than a second), but still, not having to interrupt my flow for five seconds is quite nice.
Wait, it takes you 20 seconds to launch an app in the dock? You kidding me?

Tell me Chuckit. How does quicksilver make apps launch faster?

The only thing the doc does when you click on an app is launch it. I doubt quicksilver makes applications suddenly not take as long to load. And like I said, all the apps I use are usually loaded 24/7

If you keep quitting your apps and relaunching them all the time, that is going to take even more time.

I launch my apps once a day. Sometimes not even that. Quicksilver would do nothing for me. Well cept take up a load of unneeded resources.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2007, 08:11 AM

To you it is. To some it's not. They act like you are REALLY MISSING OUT if you don't use it. I find apps like PTHclipboard more useful and time saving over all.

And check this out

Screw memory usage, thats something Windows users moan about because, like they would moan safari is using hundreds of megs of FREE ram, without realising its caching pages in there for snappier browsing and the second its needed elsewhere it drops them.

underwood
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2007, 12:17 AM

I made this, watch. This is what i use it for most of the time.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2007, 01:29 AM

Wait, it takes you 20 seconds to launch an app in the dock? You kidding me?
To drill into /Applications/Utilities and launch Terminal? Yes, that takes about 20 seconds. I have a lot of programs.

Tell me Chuckit. How does quicksilver make apps launch faster?
By not requiring me to make any large motions or track anything down. I hit two keys, taking less than a second, and any app I want opens.

If you keep quitting your apps and relaunching them all the time, that is going to take even more time.
And if my hard drive is thrashing because I leave 25 apps open all the time, that's also going to take even more time.

I launch my apps once a day. Sometimes not even that. Quicksilver would do nothing for me. Well cept take up a load of unneeded resources.
Uh…OK? Some people are happy using Windows. I insist the Mac is better, but if they're doing OK on Windows, they're welcome to continue using it. Doesn't really bother me.
Chuck
___

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 7, 2007, 05:42 AM

To drill into /Applications/Utilities and launch Terminal? Yes, that takes about 20 seconds. I have a lot of programs.
I have my terminal in my dock. CLICK POOF it's launched. All my applications that I use at least once a day are in my dock. The terminal being the only one i usually don't have running 24/7
By not requiring me to make any large motions or track anything down. I hit two keys, taking less than a second, and any app I want opens.
Ok Chuckit, I am not denying it helps YOU. The way YOU do things. I am saying how I have my computer set up, it wouldn't do diddly squat for me. A lot of people use quicksilver as a dock replacement. I happen to like the dock.
And if my hard drive is thrashing because I leave 25 apps open all the time, that's also going to take even more time.
25 apps? really? What do you do that you need 25 apps open? I have

• Safari
• Adium
• Indesign
• Photoshop
• Illustrator
• ITunes

Open at all times. Why? I am in constant use of them. If I keep quitting and launching these apps it takes even MORE TIME up than not.
Uh…OK? Some people are happy using Windows. I insist the Mac is better, but if they're doing OK on Windows, they're welcome to continue using it. Doesn't really bother me.
That is my point Charles. I am being told I am missing out, that I am wasting time by not using Quicksilver.

The only thing that I have done here is prove that quicksilver wont help ME in any way, shape or form.

That people are exaggerating how useful it would be for me. When it's not. If you like it, and it fits your worlkflow, then by all means use it.

It's just a worthless piece of software to me. Why anyone in this forum has a problem with that is beyond me.

So when people in this thread come up to ME and tell ME that I am doing things backward, or missing out on 0.00007th of a second therefore slowing down my workflow, I gotta laugh at the exaggeration. Esp when people think that everyone uses computers like they do.

Obviously the OP of said thread feels the same way too.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2007, 10:34 AM

Kevin: It seems to me that you're the one exaggerating here. I went back and re-read this whole thread. I don't see anyone saying you're missing out by not using Quicksilver, or that you're doing things backwards. You asked how you might find it useful and people gave THEIR experiences. I'm sure some of the Quicksilver users' frustration comes from your insistence on regarding it strictly as an app launcher (yes, I realize that is all you would use it for) when it does so much more.

[bad analogy]It's similar to me referring to my computer as a calculator because that's all I use it for.[/bad analogy]

So, yeah some people are getting frustrated because you don't seem to get it (even if you may have acknowledged that it is more than an app launcher at some point).
I myself couldn't care less whether you like QS or not. QS obviously doesn't fit your workflow. No hard feelings. My apologies if I missed someone saying you're missing out and doing this backwards, etc. If it did happen it was maybe one person

Chuckit: ⇧⌘U takes you directly to /Applications/Utilities

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 7, 2007, 10:55 AM

Well you've got the condescending "Quicksilver is faster" bunch

Personally, I like being able to launch any app in a second without hugely bloating my Dock.
Congrats, in the time it takes you to mouse down to the dock and click (to say nothing of opening the Applications folder), I will already be doing whatever I want to do.
Originally Posted by philm View Post
But using the mouse is incredibly slow compared with the keyboard, given that most of the time your fingers are on the keyboard anyway.
The elitist "Power user" preaching I've heard about other apps.

QS is actually quite extensible. And I guess its more of a power-user thing I guess. Those people who are used to using the keyboard for most things. More power user thing is a sense you can do complex things all within QS. Here is an examples...
I consider myself a "power user" but I've found ways to do what I want with what I got just as fast..

And here are some more elitist "quicksilver is better" type comments.
..... If you're a laptop user or prefer a keyboard to a mouse, you'll love Quicksilver. But if you're not, then stick with the click, click, click.
People TELLING ME that it WILL make me more productive when I've used it, and it didn't while being condescending about it.

For those who are interested in why Quicksilver or other "launchers" will make your more productive.....

To each his own. but if you're a multi-tasker with multiple apps open, you'll find an app like QS increases your productivity by saving you tons of time. For me, launching URLS is a HUGE timesaver. I don't even have to switch to the browser first. Just type the shortcut and QS brings my browser to the front with the URL loading. Very quick and easy. I think this answers the original question and helps out others who are curious about QS's functionality rather than listen to a bunch of Mac users who haven't even tried the damn thing say, "you don't need it...blah blah blah". Yes, you can use spotlight search for some of these things, but it's not going to be as efficient. And neither is cmd+tab for application switching. I will say QS is probably a power-user feature and not as beneficial to someone who only does one or two things at a time on their machine, which is maybe why some people are saying they don't need it.
More of that "power user" meaning if you don't find it beneficial, you just aren't a power user.

I believe Horsepoo pretty much debunked it all.

And when I claimed it didn't take me any longer to launch apps from the dock than it did QS I got someone telling me it took them 20 seconds to launch an app. Of course later I find out they went digging through folders to do so..

I have a dock full of my most used apps at work. (Where time really matters) The apps I use on occasion, that aren't always loaded I have in a folder, IN MY DOCK. It works just like the apple menu.

quicksilver wont speed up my workflow any at work.

And here, I got accused of something I wasn't doing.

Arguing is moot, if you dont like it and dont think it does you good, dont use it. But stop preaching "if its useless to you, it's crap for everyone else".
I never claimed it was useless to anyone but myself.

Then I get compared to a .. *gasp* Windows user for not liking it
Some people are happy using Windows. I insist the Mac is better, but if they're doing OK on Windows, they're welcome to continue using it. Doesn't really bother me.
Not that such comparison had to do with anything I said.

Now I am getting accused of exaggerating.

Kevin: It seems to me that you're the one exaggerating here. I went back and re-read this whole thread.

And got more condescending banter

So, yeah some people are getting frustrated because you don't seem to get it (even if you may have acknowledged that it is more than an app launcher at some point)
I get it. I get it fine. I am just saying it wont do anything for ME. If someone else likes it cool. But for someone to sit there and tell all those things I listed above, and that it will make make workflow faster, when I did use it and it did not is being a bit obnoxious. I am sure QS makes someone's workflow faster. But the way I do things, it wouldn't change much at all.
Chuckit: ⇧⌘U takes you directly to /Applications/Utilities
Which I've used tons to get to my documents folder.. then again I consider myself a power user.

bbales
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2007, 12:28 PM

I consider this one of the more inane arguments in a while on these boards (with the possible exception of the glossy screen debate on the iMac board).

It's quite possible to do your work and be a happy camper without using a launch ap. I don't use quicksilver; I use launchbar. I'd go insane without it. (I could try QS, but really, I'm pretty used to LB, so I'm not even going to bother.) I demonstrated it to a friend of mine -- a longtime power user -- and he bought it immediately. He couldn't believe how fast I was doing things. I'm relatively sure both programs (and there's another, too -- discussed in this month's MacWorld, in fact) work primarily the same way; it learns which program you're probably going to go for and offers that up as the first choice, but presents alternatives as well. If i'm going to my library's web site to look for a book or renew something, I start typing the name of my town. I have scads of possible alternatives to that, simply b/c it IS the name of my town/high school, school district, etc. I get those presented to me, too -- but usually it's going for the library site. I launch aps, web sites, folders, all kinds of things (but usually aps and web sites). MOST people will find it a lot faster to type 4 or 5 (or fewer) letters and hit the "return" key than move their hands from the keyboard, put them on the mouse, go to safari in the dock and then type in the first part of a web page. MOST people. And for those wondering about a launcher application, that's what it does.

To those who don't use one, try it, and judge for yourself.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 7, 2007, 12:48 PM

Hmm Safari has auto-complete that works that way, and I usually have it open 24/7

But I could see how someone that didn't have it open all the time could benefit from QS.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2007, 06:06 PM

I bought LaunchBar years ago and loved it. I've used Quicksilver a couple of times, but I keep going back to LaunchBar. My favorite use for these types of programs is finding something on the web. Instant access to searches with Google, eBay, Amazon, IMDb, Google Images, All Music Guide, and any other site from any application in a few keystrokes is incredibly useful for me.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

zacharykrannert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2007, 09:58 PM

I think quicksilver and it's rah rahing has you believing you are saving more time than you actually are.

For example, I just downloaded it. Installed it. Even set up some nice key combos that you have to memorize.

When all and all was done, my old lady timed me. QS didn't take me any less time to launch a program than me just clicking on a dock icon.

Like others have pointed it. It's purely psychosomatic.
uh no it isnt at all. you said just clicking the dock. ofcourse times will be the same going just straight to the dock. I dont used quicksilver like that. I use it print a document without opening word or textmate etc. I use quicksilver to go from bonecho straight to adiums chat window where i have tabs of all my chats. so when I see that i have a couple new ims that i need to deal with i just hit a trigger i created to pull up only the chat window. i respond to those. using only my keyboard. repull up qs and type pa. and i am back in my previous application. not leaving the keyboard. thats a whole hell of a lot faster.

you arent thinking outside of the box on using quicksilver. it honestly takes some time and different thinking on how to do things.

one example is creating an alias. all you have to do is type the file name of the document or folder you want of an alias. jsut a few letters. select whatever it is. tab. type al. tab. then type where you want it. enter. thats a lot faster than two finder windows. right clicking the file. make the alias. then dragging it to the destination where you want it.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2007, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by zacharykrannert View Post
thats a lot faster than two finder windows. right clicking the file. make the alias. then dragging it to the destination where you want it.
⌘⌥-drag will make an alias as well.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 12, 2007, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by zacharykrannert View Post
fcourse times will be the same going just straight to the dock
Thanks for at least admitting this.
I dont used quicksilver like that. I use it print a document without opening word or textmate etc. I use quicksilver to go from bonecho straight to adiums chat window where i have tabs of all my chats. so when I see that i have a couple new ims that i need to deal with i just hit a trigger i created to pull up only the chat window. i respond to those. using only my keyboard. repull up qs and type pa. and i am back in my previous application. not leaving the keyboard. thats a whole hell of a lot faster.
Well I do graphics for a living, where I usually have a mouse, or a tablet in my hand at all times. Having my hands off the keyboard isn't something that interrupts my workflow.
you arent thinking outside of the box on using quicksilver. it honestly takes some time and different thinking on how to do things.
And there is the pretentious "If you don't like quicksilver, you simply just don't get it" I assure you, I get it. It just has no appeal or advantage for the way *I* do things. I am not arguing that it doesn't help YOU. It may indeed. And I am glad someone coded an application that brings you so much joy. But that application doesn't HAVE to be a MUST for everyone. As many people in here have told you QS isn't for them. Why this bothers anyone is beyond me.

I could not care less if someone didn't like an application I used. Not one iota of care.

People get too emotionally attached to software, and defend it like it had a soul.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 12, 2007, 08:28 AM

Flawed examples. You put Terminal on a key-combo for Quicksilver but you left Terminal deep inside two layers worth of folders.

Apps with a key-combo launch in Quicksilver should garner a spot right in the Dock or within a set of favorite and not nested in a 2nd or 3rd level. You so you've set Quicksilver up favorably for your example. Congrats. I could put Terminal straight on the Desktop or the Dock and *not* set up Quicksilver to launch Terminal on a key-combo and the result would be the exact opposite.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2007, 10:48 AM

Flawed examples. You put Terminal on a key-combo for Quicksilver but you left Terminal deep inside two layers worth of folders.
I did not "put Terminal on a key combo." I just typed "TE" into Quicksilver and Terminal came up. No configuration involved.
Chuck
___

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 12, 2007, 11:01 AM

I did not "put Terminal on a key combo." I just typed "TE" into Quicksilver and Terminal came up. No configuration involved.
Ok...we've done a complete circle.

I guess I'll end this right here because I've already spent enough time explaining how Spotlight does just this. Using Quicksilver that way is the exact same as using Spotlight giving Quicksilver ZERO benefits as a launcher over Spotlight (and vice versa).

Fusion
Senior User
Oct 12, 2007, 03:24 PM

Ok...we've done a complete circle.

I guess I'll end this right here because I've already spent enough time explaining how Spotlight does just this. Using Quicksilver that way is the exact same as using Spotlight giving Quicksilver ZERO benefits as a launcher over Spotlight (and vice versa).
That's not necessarily true for a couple of reasons:

1. Spotlight is slower. On Tiger, the difference is ridiculous. On Leopard, its slightly better but still not comparable.

2. Quicksilver handles misspellings and typing errors far better than Spotlight. When launching apps with a launcher, I'm usually doing it because I need the app fast, which also means that my typing will be fast and slightly less-accurate.

3. Quicksilver learns from your behavior. I can expand on this if its not clear but I think it is.

With all that said however, if you are only using Quicksilver as a launcher, for the average user I can't see really any advantage to it over Spotlight.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2007, 03:36 PM

guess I'll end this right here because I've already spent enough time explaining how Spotlight does just this. Using Quicksilver that way is the exact same as using Spotlight giving Quicksilver ZERO benefits as a launcher over Spotlight (and vice versa).
Again, the time it takes is several order of magnitudes shorter. Granted, there are only two fewer steps (Step 2: Wait for Spotlight to find the damn application; Step 3: Click on the application), but Quicksilver is a lot, well, quicker.
Chuck
___

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2007, 05:41 PM

Quicksilver also handles items with more than one word in the name better. For example, if I have a bunch of OS X created screenshots (Picture 1, Picture 2, etc.) in a folder buried somewhere on my drive, I can get to them with Quicksilver by invoking QS then typing "P1", "P2", etc. The same is just not true for Spotlight.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2007, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
That's not necessarily true for a couple of reasons:

1. Spotlight is slower. On Tiger, the difference is ridiculous. On Leopard, its slightly better but still not comparable.
Slightly better meaning instantaneous?

QS has no benefits over Leopard Spotlight. Period.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2007, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
So I can hit fn-TM-return and get TextMate in Leopard?
Chuck
___

Fusion
Senior User
Oct 13, 2007, 04:38 AM

Leopard spotlight is still quite a bit slower than Quicksilver.

oh... forgot this... for added effect...:

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2007, 06:34 AM

Okay.

So once I have found a file with Spotlight, I can easily attach that file in an email to one of my contacts without switching to Mail?

Explain.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 13, 2007, 06:51 AM

Oh software fanboys. They just can't STAND it when someone doesn't like the software they have feelings for. EVERYONE MUST SEE THE GREATNESS IN IT, OR ELSE!1

Again, Quicksilver is for certain people. It benefits them. Quicksilver with another group of people just isn't as impressive.

I've debunked EVERY statement anyone has made to me as to how QS would make MY computer using experience faster. I've just downloaded it again for the 4th time to again try it out.

It has annoyed me more than helped me.

So the moral of the story is. If you don't use your mouse that much, QS is great. But if you do, then well, it really doesn't save that much time.

And the small amount of time it MAY save, it takes up in system resources and $$ of the application.

So after the 4th time of trying QS, my answer is still a solid no way.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 13, 2007, 06:57 AM

To those that have an emotional attachment to this application, It will ALWAYS constantly and forever be faster than spotlight. Regardless that most of the people that say it is, probably haven't even used Leopard. And if it IS faster, it's in the .000039th of a second times here.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 13, 2007, 09:16 AM

Again, the time it takes is several order of magnitudes shorter. Granted, there are only two fewer steps (Step 2: Wait for Spotlight to find the damn application; Step 3: Click on the application), but Quicksilver is a lot, well, quicker.
Nope...(well, perhaps Step 2 is true under Tiger, Spotlight is definitely not slow under Leopard, it's just as fast as Quicksilver since the top hit will always be an application if what you type fits the name of the app).

You see, Spotlight and Quicksilver work exactly the same way...they have the same key-combo to invoke the utility (cmd-spacebar) and then you can start typing the name of the app and hit return. There's no clicking involved at all if you don't feel like clicking.

Quicksilver's app launcher feature has a small benefit over Tiger's Spotlight and no benefits over Leopard's Spotlight.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 13, 2007, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
Leopard spotlight is still quite a bit slower than Quicksilver.

oh... forgot this... for added effect...:
It's not. For ****'s sake stop spreading FUD, it makes you look silly. Spotlight in Leopard is instantaneous for apps because it doesn't need to search a huge database of indexed filepaths. It looks at a small list of indexed apps and returns the result instantaneously. Hell...even some obscur file that matches what you've typed will appear near instantaneously.

And, BTW, any app that 'learns' from behaviors is prone to mistakes. A computer program doesn't have human intelligence to help it figure someone out. It's got algorithms that try to mimic this learning behavior. I have yet to see one that has 100% accuracy.
( Last edited by Horsepoo!!!; Oct 13, 2007 at 09:25 AM. )

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 13, 2007, 09:26 AM

So I can hit fn-TM-return and get TextMate in Leopard?
No but the alternative is having TextMate in the Dock...where you only have to displace your mouse cursor towards the TextMate icon and click said icon. WOW!

Ok...that's enough for me. I'm out. I know some of you are trying to justify this utility as some kind magic tool that improves productivity by 10. Perhaps it does when it comes to finding a file and sending that via e-mail as soon as it is found (of course, this one isn't all that difficult either if you hit cmd-option-spacebar, search for file and then drag and drop to Mail), but as an app launcher it has little to no benefits unless you absolutely want to keep the Dock clear of app shortcuts.
( Last edited by Horsepoo!!!; Oct 13, 2007 at 09:32 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules