Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Leopard Disappointments

Leopard Disappointments
as40347
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2007, 10:40 PM

I installed Leopard last night and have mixed feelings. I posted this text in an Apple discussion board, but I would love to see other reactions here. In a couple of hours this message had about 400 views and a dozen or so responses, all save one agreeing with me and very disappointed. I have talked to a couple of other IT pros from my work who also are fans and got Leopard on Friday and they agreed with my sentiment.

The new advances and features are great, but the UI drove me here to support to register a complaint. My history is that I have been primarily using Mac at work for the last 4 years since I saw Jaguar and really liked the way OS X worked and looked. Beautiful on both counts! I still have to use Windows some at work and all the time at home because we have a PC. Panther and Tiger just improved on what was already good and this one has the most potential, but frankly I am disappointed. I was waiting for Leopard and planning on replacing my PC at home with a new 24" iMac, but now I'm not sure I want to. The look of the UI reminds me of bland Windows 95. Here is my list of complaints:

1) The dull and plain dark gray color scheme on Finder and application windows. What is the point of this? It looks like a cloudy day! What a depressing interface. If it was brushed metal, I would probably find this whole thing perfect. For the record, I have loved the last 3 iterations of the OS X interface, Jaguar, Panther, and Tiger. Each was great!

2) The size of the icons in the Finder sidebar. They are smaller than before, and make it harder to navigate. I have good eyesight, don't need glasses for anything, and I have to lean forward and squint a little. Why not have a choice of small, medium, and large?

3) There is no kind way to put it, the Folder icons are ugly. Even the icons used in Vista (which I don't like) are much better than these. Look at any Linux distribution and they select excellent folder icons, and it is easy to choose one to suit your taste. Why doesn't Apple do same? Even Windows in XP and Vista lets you change the styles of color to suit your taste. Apple can and should do much better.

**None GUI related:

4) File system navigation is easier on Linux, Windows XP and Vista where you can click and type a folder path URL with browser like autocomplete, and you can copy and paste the path. Why Apple stagnates is puzzling.

***Overall, I was afraid of this style and theme when Apple changed their web site recently from brushed metal to drab gray. Who is making these decisions? Clearly success has gone to someone's head and they have forgotten to get input from others. My wife (who couldn't care less about Windows or Mac, but uses a computer every day) walked by and took a look at the desktop and a Finder windows and her only comment was "blah."

Don't get me wrong, their are a lot of great improvements, Stacks, Coverflow, and Quickview are great and they perform better than I expected. There are a bunch of other things already that I noticed that I would love to write about, but the way OS X now looks is not inspiring. I use it and the thrill is not there. I went back to a machine that still has Tiger (replacing it's wallpaper with the new Leopard starfield to rule that out) and it felt refreshing!

Sorry to gripe, but the UI is very important, and this is very disappointing. I know there are 3rd party solutions to change the way it looks, but that's not the point. If Apple just made a few tweaks, this thing would be perfect. I love OS X and think it was the best OS. I hate to think it peaked and has now slid.

Anybody listening?

Thank you!

-Ashley

Below here are the replies to my post....
=================================================

--------------------------------------------------------------
I have to agree, the gray is depressing. Reminds me of East Berlin, for a company that does so much with such good style, this is a bad surprise to see.

Also, I agree, the folder icons were much better in 10.4. I'm sure I'll be using some 3rd party apps to change these if Apple does not issue an udate.

I also agree with Govg IT Guy, the colors and folders and icons in 10.4 were much better, much more alive. Maybe an update would make things a bit better, without going overboard?

Russ Conte
I agree that some of the aesthetics really took a downturn in this OS.  I like the features, but the aesthetics that have always been so important to Apple seem to not have been well thought out.

I especially do not like the transparent toolbar at the top of the screen.  It takes the colors of the background and this makes things look all weird when all the windows have the grey look and then you see a green or blue toolbar that goes with nothing else in any of the working windows?  Doesnt make sense.  Whoever thought that would be a good thing needs to rethink their job position.  It would at least be nice of Apple offered something in the prefs to bring back some of the old looks.  Even MS allows you to go back to an old schema on the new platforms if you really want the clasic look.

C'mon Apple, some things to think about for the first update to Leopard.

These were my impressions too. A really ugly design for apple.

Its interesting others find the UI a little bit of a step back. I thought it was just me. But it isn't as nice as in the past. I do like the additional features but this OS uses a pile of RAM.

I just wanted to chime in and agree about the disappointing design choices.  Maybe if enough of us post, Apple will take notice.  Tiger was a much nicer looking OS than Leopard is.  I don't like the darker gray, and I definitely don't like that the active window is darker than non-active windows.  However, iTunes stays dark whether or not it is active.  So much for consistency.  The transparent menu bar was a really terrible decision, and I hope it's changed very soon.  And although I've never liked the OS X folder icons, Tiger's are preferable to Leopard's.

There are also a lot of annoyances that should have been fixed, but weren't.  For example, If you have a hard drive on the desktop that is 931.39 GB, 165.84 free, it shows as "931.39 GB,....84GB free".  Very sloppy, and very disappointing.

I'll end up keeping Leopard for features like Spaces, Time Machine, and the new Finder, but I've come to expect a higher standard of interface design from Apple.  Leopard is just unprofessional and unfinished.

-------------------------------------------------------------
There really is too much gray and it's starting to wind me up to a massive extent. The new glossy dock has a gray tint, all of the windows are rendered from light to dark gray and my menu bar is a long gray rectangle!!! It's driving me mental. You can't put the nice blue tiger wallpaper with a load of gray because it just doesn't go. Half of the wallpaper choices that Apple have given us don't work well with the new colour scheme, it really needs a re-think. Tiger looked fantastic and I am that close to switching back for the better UI.

At the moment, it really does feel like a waste of time, money and effort in my case. Even spotlight doesn't work as well as it did =(

This is the first time I've been disappointed with Apple

-Pos

Just a quick note - I'm not one of those that are being described. I cheered for Aqua, I was OK with brushed aluminum, and so forth. Leopard is the first GUI from Apple I've seen in a long time that I believe needs some serious help.

Hmmm. I don't think its bad at all and it's certainly not a radical change by any stretch - I would say its more of a unification of the iTunes style with the rest of the OS. Of course I was a UNO person so to me, Leopard kinda looks the same as before.

I like pretty much everything about Leopard but I do agree that the new folder icons are kinda disappointing and that the finder bar transparency should be adjustable.

Just my .02
D.

It is " Y U K" !

William

gradient
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2007, 10:52 PM

meh.... I actually really like the "drab gray" look a lot. It's actually very similar to the guikit I used in Tiger to get rid of Aqua. The only thing I don't like is the transparent menu bar, but luckily for my primary mac is one of those that got the opaque menu bar.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2007, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by as40347 View Post
1) The dull and plain dark gray color scheme on Finder and application windows. What is the point of this? It looks like a cloudy day! What a depressing interface. If it was brushed metal, I would probably find this whole thing perfect. For the record, I have loved the last 3 iterations of the OS X interface, Jaguar, Panther, and Tiger. Each was great!
Many people here would disagree with you. Myself included

2) The size of the icons in the Finder sidebar. They are smaller than before, and make it harder to navigate. I have good eyesight, don't need glasses for anything, and I have to lean forward and squint a little. Why not have a choice of small, medium, and large?
Agreed

3) There is no kind way to put it, the Folder icons are ugly. Even the icons used in Vista (which I don't like) are much better than these. Look at any Linux distribution and they select excellent folder icons, and it is easy to choose one to suit your taste. Why doesn't Apple do same? Even Windows in XP and Vista lets you change the styles of color to suit your taste. Apple can and should do much better.
Fair enough, that's your opinion. I personally like the new folder icons. Much better than the aqua blue icons of 10.0.

4) File system navigation is easier on Linux, Windows XP and Vista where you can click and type a folder path URL with browser like autocomplete, and you can copy and paste the path. Why Apple stagnates is puzzling.
Shift+Command+G

***Overall, I was afraid of this style and theme when Apple changed their web site recently from brushed metal to drab gray. Who is making these decisions? Clearly success has gone to someone's head and they have forgotten to get input from others.
Seems like they were responding to the users input of dropping the Brush Metal theme. I think they have done a good job (minus the aqua scroll bars).

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2007, 11:13 PM

My main ones:

The menu bar coloring is awesome, but it's almost made bad by the horrible bright blue or ugly gray menu items and SpotLight/Help search boxes that clash with anything other than a blue or white desktop. Why they won't just sample some pixels on the top of the desktop picture and change those elements to match is beyond me. I can't count how many times I've mentioned the only choice of blue and graphite today.

They removed sorting options and view customization from Smart Folders thus making them less useful. WTF?

The folders for Home folders look too plain. I like the folder design, but I can no longer tell at a glance what folder is what without looking closely. I'm hoping a Leopard Candybar comes soon and someone creates some hybrid new style folders with old style colorful icons on them. I'll do it myself if I can find the old icons. Edit: Wait, what happened to Iconographer? The guy dropped off the face of the earth.

Also, I disagree about brushed metal. I am glad it's dead. That texture was ugly as sin. I like the grey, but it is a little too dark in some places.

Oh, and that border they put around image files is crap! Transparent images used to look great against the desktop or a folder. Now it has a thick white border making it look like a photograph for my scrapbook! WTF?
( Last edited by Jasoco; Oct 27, 2007 at 11:20 PM. )

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2007, 11:26 PM

Reminds me of East Berlin,
What a rich and beautiful center for art and culture?
awesome bring it on

The new grey is a bit of a babystep towards modernism so I'm all for it, makes Vista look gaudy

I love the death of brushed metal, what a horrible mistake that was

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2007, 11:27 PM

As a designer I've always wanted the GUI out of the way. That's why on any Mac I use I immediately switch to graphite. The new Leopard UI is as unobtrusive as possible. It's fantastic! Especially the new folder icons. Good riddance to those horrible candy blobs.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2007, 12:22 AM

Spotlight still doesn't index/offer .term files.

iChat no longer will connect to a jabber server with encryption if the domain for the jabber account doesn't match the domain name on the cert for the actual server.

Stacks are annoying/cluttery, and they've removed the old, better method of Dock folder navigation.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2007, 12:53 AM

I miss hierarchical menus (replaced by Stacks), loving Spaces, and enjoying the nearly consistent interface across the entire system (why did it take this long?).

The flat grey is actually refreshing as it no longer competes with the content of the application you are working in.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

sc_markt
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2007, 01:28 AM

I like the look of 10.5. I also like the brushed metal look.

I agree with the sidebar icons. Should be an option to make them a little larger.

Folder icons don't bother me. And it's easy to change them. This made me think that it would be nice if when you selected "new Folder," it gave you an option of different styles to choose from.

Every single release of a mac OS (starting with OS8) always had a few new things I didn't like or took something out or changed that I liked. But it's only been a few things and everything else has been great. Same with 10.5 (at least so far after a few hours of use).

- Mark

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2007, 01:28 AM

I like the grey because it disappears into the background the the content is what stands out. I didn't like the folder icons when I firs saw them months ago but I really like them now. I hated the previous ones from the beginning.

rgkgraphix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2007, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
As a designer I've always wanted the GUI out of the way. That's why on any Mac I use I immediately switch to graphite. The new Leopard UI is as unobtrusive as possible. It's fantastic! Especially the new folder icons. Good riddance to those horrible candy blobs.
as a designer as well, I couldn't have said it any better than this.

OliverTwist
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2007, 02:34 AM

I installed Leopard last night and have mixed feelings.
It's pretty clear that the thing you really miss is the bright-colored, candy-coated cartoon look that OS X has been progressively toning down since 10.0. Leopard's a mature OS now, and they're going for a mature look.

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2007, 03:22 AM

I'd love previews of .EPS files in CoverFlow or QuickLook.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2007, 03:43 AM

I wish QuickLook would preview animated .gifs like video files.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2007, 04:05 AM

• X11 yellow cursor bug still present
• X11 window doesn't come to front after cmd-tab bug still present
• sometimes Finder windows don't react to keyboard input like cmd-w
• no modifier so moving the cursor to the screen edge will let you go to the next space
• Finder sidebar items too tiny
• transparent Menu bar
• 2D Dock's ugly (and the 3D one's useless)
• Aqua scrollbars
( Last edited by Simon; Oct 28, 2007 at 04:14 AM. )

Colonel Panic
Senior User
Oct 28, 2007, 10:14 AM

I think it's great that so many complaints are for cosmetic stuff, like the menubar or folder appearance. I agree the folders are weak (although at high zoom they are nicer, kind of speckled like a real folder), and find it annoying that my Library, Apps, Music, Documents, etc folders have an embossed design to distinguish them instead of something that makes them stand out more. To each his own, and all of that kind of stuff is infinitely customizable.

Major items like performance, time machine, performance, spotlight, quick look (fabulous), performance, the finder generally, and performance are strong and very welcome to a grizzled old guy like me who started with the public beta on a pismo running stuff in classic mode almost all the time.

All I'd really like here that is mildly more involved is an option to use stacks or old-school hierarchical dock folders as a choice (in some cases, particularly with just a few items in a folder, like a folder with the three iWork apps, I'd certainly go with stacks).

I think this is a really strong update.

tanhauser
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2007, 10:50 AM

I installed Leopard last night and have mixed feelings. I posted this text in an Apple discussion board, but I would love to see other reactions here. In a couple of hours this message had about 400 views and a dozen or so responses, all save one agreeing with me and very disappointed. I have talked to a couple of other IT pros from my work who also are fans and got Leopard on Friday and they agreed with my sentiment.

Sorry to gripe, but the UI is very important, and this is very disappointing. I know there are 3rd party solutions to change the way it looks, but that's not the point. If Apple just made a few tweaks, this thing would be perfect. I love OS X and think it was the best OS. I hate to think it peaked and has now slid.

William
I disagree completely with you.

In fact, I simply could not stand the brushed metal look of previous Mac OS versions. So much so that I had installed a custom theme in order to change it. Also, I hated the finder before as well.

But now I simply love it. I love the dark gray color and I love the new finder. Also, you actually think that file system navigation is easier on Windows XP and Vista? Are you serious? With this new Finder I can be anywhere in my system within a couple of seconds tops. They introduced many different ways to access what you are looking for.

F

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 28, 2007, 11:21 AM

What a kidder.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2007, 11:28 AM

God, comparing Finder to Explorer? Geeze! Have you seen Explorer? They dumb it down with so many panels the actual content has to compete with the extra space wasting crap to be seen.

Vs.

Vs.

To me, Finder just looks cleaner all over. And much much nicer.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2007, 11:48 AM

I think the only thing out of place is the aqua scrollbars and progress bars. I can't believe they left it the same as OSX 10.0. It looks ridiculous now especially since iTunes has better newer ones.

DankOnlee21
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2007, 11:08 PM

I am so bitter with this UGLY interface. Leopard is even more pathetic than Tiger. No wonder Microsoft destroys Mac. I'll be downstairs on my PC running windows. At least with them I have OPTIONS.
WHAT A WASTGE OF TIME.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2007, 11:23 PM

^

mjankor
Oct 31, 2007, 11:30 PM

erik I agree with you this time

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2007, 11:59 PM

Dank, you just came in here to bash Mac didn't you?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2007, 05:30 AM

Trolls galore!

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2007, 07:37 AM

I agree with the other designer folks, that the interface is neutral and does not over power what I'm working on. Though I'm no designer in any sense of the word, I do like to dabble in photoshop and do some web publishing.

Is Leopard perfect, far from it, and in fact the old adage comes to mind. You cannot please everyone one. Each decision they've made on Leopard had repercussions, in so far as displeasing a group of users. Apple moving from platinum to Aqua was chided because of wasting cpu resources on eye candy. Fast forward to 2007 and people are complaining about the lack of visual punch – go figure.

Using my Mac [over a peecee] allows me to work the way I want it to, and Leopard enhances that, makes it easier for me to do what I need to do and makes my mac even more secure, i.e., time machine backing up my data.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Dec 23, 2007, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
meh.... I actually really like the "drab gray" look a lot. It's actually very similar to the guikit I used in Tiger to get rid of Aqua. The only thing I don't like is the transparent menu bar, but luckily for my primary mac is one of those that got the opaque menu bar.
I agree, for the longest time I have been using the aqua/brush metal style theme on windows. And when I finally got a mac I have to say I was sort of sick of it. I feel like the new look is more modern and mature, which I do like a lot.

Originally Posted by DankOnlee21 View Post
I am so bitter with this UGLY interface. Leopard is even more pathetic than Tiger. No wonder Microsoft destroys Mac. I'll be downstairs on my PC running windows. At least with them I have OPTIONS.
WHAT A WASTGE OF TIME.
Since I have started using a mac I have not ran into a problem with finding options. But ever since I upgraded to Leopard, I have found myself stuck without them. I must agree with you right now, painstakingly.

1. I do like the theme my computer from time to time. I always end up back at the default but I can't even do this now. There is still not much news from Unsanity for the next ShapeShifter. Although the new Candybar is superb in my opinion.

2. I want to do something as simple as view different folders in different ways. Something I could EASILY do with Tiger. I don't want to view my applications or documents folder in coverflow, but I would like to view my pictures folder in coverflow. Something common sense and shouldn't have been taken out. I am still looking for a way to do this.

-----

I do think this OS has really good potential. From being on Linux for the past few years I have really grown to like the multiple desktops. Simply amazing way to get rid of clutter and speed up productivity. So I'm so happy they put spaces in. And I think the new finder is alright besides some annoyances here and there.

Overall I think that I too am a little disappointed in Leopard. It was the first OS that I willingly went out and bought legit. I hope things change because I don't want it to be the last.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2007, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by @pplejaxkz View Post
I would like to view my pictures folder in coverflow. Something common sense and shouldn't have been taken out. I am still looking for a way to do this.
View->Show View Options->Always open in CoverFlow.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Dec 23, 2007, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
View->Show View Options->Always open in CoverFlow.
Thank you very much!

EndlessMac
Senior User
Dec 23, 2007, 03:48 PM

The look of anything is a personal preference which is why I'm really surprised that Apple doesn't allow us to customize it. Considering how important aesthetics seems to be to many Mac users I've always wondered why you couldn't customize the look.

It's disappointing to know that even Windows XP allowed its users to go back to the "classic" look if they didn't like the new look. There was more customization in general with the OS look in Windows XP than with OS X. I know right now that I won't like the 3D Leopard dock and I really hope that Apple will let us go back to the 2D dock of Tiger.

I guess the problem is that Apple feels obligated to change the look so that people will get the feeling that it is indeed a new operating system. We humans are a superficial bunch aren't we. I don't have a problem with changing the look of the OS on every new version but it would be a nice feature to allow users to go back to the look of previous versions if that's what they like. Microsoft gets the reputation of 'do it my way or die' attitude and I would hate for Apple to get that reputation too.

Sometimes it seems that Steve Jobs is so eager to think outside of the box and be different that he abandons things that do work. Stacks would be one example. As I've said it's ok to introduce new things but please at least allow us to go back to previous things that we working or were popular.

Curiosity
Senior User
Dec 24, 2007, 02:21 AM

I like the brushed metal of Tiger, but I do not like all the white backgrounds. The Leopard finder is an improvement in that at least the sidebar is grey instead of white. I wish one could have an easy way to get rid of the rest of the white, though. Why could Apple not just give users the ability to change the colour scheme to whatever they like?

As far as Windows XP goes, I thought that the XP desktop looked too cartoonish, so I used the classic desktop instead. It is much more elegant looking. At least Windows gives one a free hand with the colours. I eliminated all the white backgrounds from Windows.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 24, 2007, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Curiosity View Post
I wish one could have an easy way to get rid of the rest of the white, though.
View->Show View Options->Background: Colour

Richard Richard
Dec 24, 2007, 07:37 AM

i just want to be able to do a finder search for items above 100 megs

then see the resulting list SORTED by size , NOT name , last opened and kind..

is that too much to ask ?
mac 4 evaah

PaperNotes
Dec 24, 2007, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
I wish QuickLook would preview animated .gifs like video files.
QuickLook is easy to write plugins for. You just gotta ask around and the Mac community will help you. Within two days of asking I was awarded with plugins to get clippings previews and see the contents of zip files.

PaperNotes
Dec 24, 2007, 08:41 AM

I am so used to Leopard's advances I can't imagine using Tiger. Little bugs aside the one thing I want is the old Spotlight results window and want to be able to find files in system and hidden folders.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 24, 2007, 09:22 AM

Click the "Other..." item in the Spotlight search criteria popup menu button and you can add system and hidden files.

rem
Forum Regular
Dec 24, 2007, 10:18 AM

About Finder not accepting typed paths: I just use the open command in Terminal (e.g. "open ." opens the current path in Finder). Likewise, if you drag a folder from Finder to Terminal, you get the Finder path text.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2007, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Richard Richard View Post
i just want to be able to do a finder search for items above 100 megs

then see the resulting list SORTED by size , NOT name , last opened and kind..

is that too much to ask ?
You and me both, Rich. Apple screwed the pooch with Leopard's Spotlight. They fscked it up horribly. Tiger was perfect. Now it's a horrible limited option mess.

Richard Richard
Dec 27, 2007, 07:23 AM

what's even odder is that the search IS separated in the spotlight menu , and looks just like the tiger version !

it goes from all the criteria YOU choose in the spotlight preference panel ( document , pdf , music , movie etc )- and then - oh crikey - wtfs this ?

it's such a mess , i sure hope they sort it out in 10.5.2
mac 4 evaah

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 27, 2007, 08:12 AM

Reading this thread makes me want to stay with Tiger.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Richard Richard
Dec 27, 2007, 09:56 AM

well said , tiger imo was / is the pinnacle of os-x , an utter masterpiece , even that wipes the floor with vista - why apple bent to peer pressure to bring out this half arsed wannabee os is anyones guess !

spaces is exc , but i had that with virtual desktops

tbh , i wish i could just press a button and go back to 10.4

photoshop elements 2 stopped working ( after like 5 years + of service ! )

spotlight is utterly - useless

happy new year - now i'm off to sit in the corner and have a cry
mac 4 evaah

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 27, 2007, 09:54 PM

I use Spotlight a LOT more in Leopard.

YMMV (obviously)

G5man
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2007, 03:05 PM

Leopard is somewhat of a disappointment. Spaces somehow does not clog my memory when I use iPhoto while it is loading in another space, I can still work in another application without getting the Spinning Rainbow of Dispair, although I was hoping with 10.5, it could speed up my already slow mac mini like I usually hear from other people when they upgraded OS's

1. Web clip although it is nice already, why not make a widget creator that could combine the pieces of html you already have into one widget?
2. Sharing with windows PC's is so much easier instead of going through the connect to server prompts I can go right into the windows PC. Does it do remote login?
3. Adobe really was not prepared for this considering we have to wait until January for a version of Adobe Reader for Leopard to come out.
Mac mini 1.42 Ghz 1GB RAM 80 GB HD + 160 GB External HD

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2007, 06:06 PM

I'm pretty happy with Leopard as a whole, though I agree 100% that the Tiger version of the Spotlight window was WAY more useful; the Leopard version is pretty useless. Almost no sorting options and the file names are truncated way too much in icon view.

I think (hope) most of the glaring bugs and oversights should be worked out by 10.5.2, but same could have been said for 10.4 as well (and 10.3, and 10.2...).

And G5man, has Adobe ever been prepared for a Mac OS revision? While I'm not sure what about the current versions of many of the Adobe apps causes them not to work in 10.5 (or what about 10.5 specifically that breaks them), it doesn't seem like it should be that hard for Adobe to fix. I think they either don't really want to (so they can sell more of whatever new version they bring out), or that they're so big now that making any change, even a slight one, becomes a Herculean task. Fortunately I do not make a living using Adobe products. Not sure what I'd do if I had to.

Spaces is nice, though I don't need it too much on my desktop (30" display) but do use it on my laptops. Time Machine is great, though hard to use on my laptops until such time as it can be made to work well with network volumes (but at least Apple's Backup.app still works fine, and for my laptops its good enough for me).

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2007, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by G5man View Post
Leopard is somewhat of a disappointment. Spaces somehow does not clog my memory when I use iPhoto while it is loading in another space, I can still work in another application without getting the Spinning Rainbow of Dispair, although I was hoping with 10.5, it could speed up my already slow mac mini like I usually hear from other people when they upgraded OS's
So it's much more efficient, but doesn't perform magical feats?

I say that's pretty decent for this universe!

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2007, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by G5man View Post
1. Web clip although it is nice already, why not make a widget creator that could combine the pieces of html you already have into one widget?
Like this?

Sal
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2007, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by rem View Post
About Finder not accepting typed paths: I just use the open command in Terminal (e.g. "open ." opens the current path in Finder). Likewise, if you drag a folder from Finder to Terminal, you get the Finder path text.
Command-Shift-G doesn't work?

braintoniq
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2007, 04:43 PM

Cons: the dock took away two things I used many times every day: hierarchical views and custom folder icons. However, this was all fixed by the installation of A-Dock. I now never use Leopard's dock, which is fine by me.

Pros: I use the new Screen Share almost every day. It has saved me dozens of hours, both traveling by car to web designers' offices to tweak files and brochures, as well as a lot of money, since I can see them do the final tweaks of designs live, instead of the old "Let's increase the font in the tagline" then getting it emailed to me, where I open it up, and email it back, "let's space out the fonts a bit to the left", ad naseam. Screen Share will, in the next few years, alter the way people do their business.

All the tweaks around most of the GUI changes—color, shade, texture—I don't care either way. My main question about upgrades is: can I go faster? Can I get more done?

Screen Share alone was worth the upgrade fee for my company.
Leopard 10.5.x •• Mac Pro 2.66Ghz, 7gigs RAM •• dual 20 LCDs •• braintoniq

Richard Richard
Dec 31, 2007, 06:30 PM

i've stopped using spotlight now , easy find is miles more useful
mac 4 evaah

Richard Richard
Dec 31, 2007, 06:36 PM

i must say i DO love spaces , though

with a bit of tweaking it could be indispensable
mac 4 evaah

Forum Links
Forum Rules