Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Boot Camp Disk Error Press any key to restart

Boot Camp Disk Error Press any key to restart
scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2007, 05:02 PM

I can't find the any key.

Seriously though. I have a fresh 10.5 install. I have bootcamp assistant make a 32GB partition for windows then have it start installing. It does it's thing, then it gets to a:

"Press any key to boot from CD. Disk Error. Press any key to restart"

If I press a key when it's in the "press any key to boot from CD" part, it just reinstalls whatever piece of windows I had up until that point. This knowledgebase article: Mac OS X 10.5, Boot Camp: Windows XP displays "Disk Error" message during initial setup says that I need to format the windows partition before continuing with the rest of the setup process, the problem is I'm never offered that option. I'm following along in the document that boot camp has me print off. I've been looking through the apple discussion fora and noone there seems to have much of an answer either.

So ya. fresh install of 10.5. 2.16CD2 imac. 2GBs RAM.

any assistance?

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 28, 2007, 05:10 PM

Windows has a huge problem with its installer-it doesn't tell you explicitly that during the install process it will reboot at least once (usually twice) and that you can just let it go to it WITHOUT REBOOTING FROM THE CD. During the install process, the installer makes a few tweaks to the boot.ini file which tells Windows what source to boot from, in this case, the partial installation. It SHOLD tell you "Windows will now reboot. DO NOT select to boot from the CD." But it doesn't.

You're nowhere near alone in this. I've been caught by this more than once, usually when I'm called away from the process and lose track of whether I actually got it started or not. It's all cool-just let it time out and continue on its merry way, and Windows will be installed in due time.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

scaught  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2007, 07:29 PM

Thanks for the response...

The other thing is, and I probably didn't mention it, is after I let it go past the "reboot from CD" part the system goes unresponsive. I have a wireless keyboard so I plugged in a USB one to "press any key to restart" and it didn't do anything. Sooo. You mention letting it time out, but it just sits there. I know because I let it sit there for a while when I went out to lunch. ha.

Any other idears?

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 28, 2007, 07:56 PM

Have the wired keyboard plugged in from the start. After everything is installed and you install the Apple drivers, then you can use your wireless keyboard. If you didn't have the wired keyboard installed from the beginning, the installer won't re-scan the USB ports to see if something has been installed after it started. Fortunately the process is relatively quick and you can go back to your favored keyboard shortly. This USB thing is another "gotcha" from the Windows installer.

scaught  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2007, 09:09 PM

I had both the wired keyboard and the wireless one attached during the second and third try at getting it to work. I could hit the key on the wired one to do the "boot from CD" sequence. Once it was past that, I couldn't do anything.

edit: Just tried again with wireless keyboard off and just the USB keyboard plugged in. Still unresponsive.
( Last edited by scaught; Oct 28, 2007 at 09:44 PM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 29, 2007, 07:58 AM

That's "just not right." Since you haven't gotten very far in the process, maybe you should undo everything and start over. Use the Boot Camp Utility to delete the Windows partition, run Disk Utility to make sure nothing got messed up, (probably reboot just to be sure), and try again.

scaught  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2007, 09:08 AM

Thanks for your help, Glenn.

Been there, done that too. I'm going to grab a different XP CD from work and see if that makes any difference.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 29, 2007, 10:33 AM

That would be the next step. It does sound like there's something wrong with the one you've been using if you've started over from scratch. Good luck!

scaught  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2007, 08:12 PM

Well. It must have been the disc. I burned a new one from an ISO from our MSDN binder at work and all is well. It asked me all sorts of stuff it didn't ask before. Heh.

Thanks again for your help, Glenn.

Peysh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2007, 12:52 AM

Same probleme as the OP here. Same system, same error message, same "any key" to press, same unresponsive windows.

The message on the apple support center says : "After creating a Windows partition in Boot Camp 2.0 in Mac OS X 10.5, then rebooting from the Windows XP installer CD, be sure that you format the Windows partition before continuing with the rest of the Windows XP setup process". So i guess I am not the only one with that problem.

What does that mean ? Should I have an option to format after rebooting on my windows CD ? I don't, the thing just install itself ..

It seems the answer to the OP's problem was to change windows. Unfortunately I don't have that choice, my disc is the only one I can get my hands on for the time being. I'll try to lurk more to find answers.

Halp !

edit : My problem exactly, and the op's problem too i think Mac OS X 10.5, Boot Camp: Windows XP displays "Disk Error" message during initial setup
( Last edited by Peysh; Oct 30, 2007 at 01:17 AM. )

Peysh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2007, 04:27 AM

Update on the situation in case anyone has the same problem :

The heart of the problem seems to originate from the windows CD, or my version of windows. I have Win XP + SP2.

The message on apple.com makes it clear that after using Boot Camp and partitioning, the computer restarts on the windows CD and THERE, after it loads you are supposed to format C:/ to whatever format you like. Then the install should work fine after this point.

However, my windows CD does not ask for formating ... it only asks for formating when I ask him to partition again in the setup menu. Otherwise it analyzes the drive, decides the FAT32 partition is good enough for him and proceeds to install. WITHOUT asking for formating. Which leads to the "error, disk failed, gb/OSX"

So after much thought, I tried to partition the drive using the winXP setup menu. In order to do so I :
- Deleted the partition Boot Camp created
- Created a new partition
- Formated it to NTFS (also tried FAT32, same result)

The result is that the partition is not recognized when windows reboots for the first time after the initial file copying. Some "Hal.dll is corrupt" message appears after the first reboot. A little lurking told me that this message appears when the boot.ini file is not properly configured, and doesn't recognize the partition windows is supposed to be on. So I guess deleting and recreating the partition Boot Camp created isn't a good idea either.

I then tried to format the Boot Camp partition from Disk Utility in OSX to another file system (namely osX compatible versions with or without page addressing or whatever it is called) to force the windows setup into formating to a proper FAT32 or NTFS file format. This was to no avail, the winXP setup only sees one big C:/ partition instead of two (my OSX system and the Boot Camp one). As I have no plans to delete OSX I had to backtrack.

So here I am atm. Future plans include finding a Bootable CD to format the C:/ drive and bypassing this stupid setup bug. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

scaught  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2007, 09:33 AM

Are you SURE it's a SP2 disc? My feeling now is that the disc I thought was an SP2 disc was not. Check the EULA.txt file.

umop3plsdn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2007, 06:29 PM

I definately had the same exact problem! However, after i got the disk error I tried rebooting and now i don't have any video or anything. i've tried:
1) Held down "C" and booted up with my leopard install disc in the drive
2) Held down the option button to specify the boot device
3) Removed internal battery and held the power button on for 5 seconds to clear
4) Resetting the PRAM with command, option, p, and r keys pressed
5) Tried a different monitor (off another working computer)
6) Held down the shift key while booting up
7) New video card
8) the smc_reset button

All with no success! All i have is the steady flashing light on the front no patterns just a steady slow flash. I can hear the fans and the hard disk spin up. Anyone else have this problem right after the windows disk error?

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 31, 2007, 09:52 PM

Check that disc. The optical drives in newer Macs tend to be more sensitive to cruddy CDs, and they don't manage error correction (if that's possible) the way the installer really needs. So if the disc isn't working, it's probably because that drive can't overcome the problems on the disc. Burning a new copy, if you can, is a good solution. Here's how: use one of the "slipstreaming" tools mentioned in the slipstreaming thread above to make a custom install disc on a Windows machine-preferably one with a CD drive, even better an older one, that you'll read the original disc with. Slipstreaming allows you to (at the very least) include SP2 with a non-SP2 edition of Windows. Some tools like nLite let you alter settings and other stuff (very cool stuff too). Either way, you're creating a valid NEW disc that should read in your Mac's drive.

Peysh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2007, 06:08 AM

Ok, updates here:

The problem was definitely the CD. I got my hands on a slipstreamed version, and right enough it proposed to format the drive I wanted to install windows on. Everything went smoothly from here on. NO MORE "DIRSK ERROR" MESSAGE. So, guys, this is the source of it I would say.

Smoothly ? Let us see ...

When I restarted after installing the macbook pro drivers from the leopard CD (in windows) my laptop screen's colors got all messed up.

I tried 3 kind of video drivers to fix this to no avail. And after like the 10th restart, the problem got to macOS X ... Which now has jumbled up saturated colors too. My secondary display is fine though.

I tried :
- GPU driver change > no good
- reinstalling windows > no good
- repartitionning and reformatting everything and reinstalling macOS from time machine > no good

So, where will this end ?

I lurked a bit to find that this seems to originate from firmware colliding with the drivers. But this belongs in another thread.

The solution to the "disk error" message at the beginning was to change disks as the op did. There's no going around it I could find. (and i tried).

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 1, 2007, 08:58 AM

Due to the way the Windows Installer is made, there IS no way around the bad CD issue. The installer isn't built to tell you when it can't PROPERLY copy files to the hard drive, only that it can't find them (and it's pretty stupid about that, too). So there's no warning, no notice, just a goobered installation to tell you what's going on.

It sounds like your new problem is an incompatible screen resolution. This happens, and it's a pain, but it's fairly simple to get sorted out.

Boot into Windows, and at the start of the black screen portion of the process press "F8". That'll allow you to get into Safe Mode. Choose the basic Safe Mode and let the boot process continue-it'll be longer than normal and pretty verbose on screen. Once you're fully booted, right click on the desktop and choose Properties (or navigate to Displays in Control Panel). Now you're in the display driver properties and you'll be able to select a screen resolution and color depth from the Settings tab. Choose a low resolution, no greater than 1024Xwhatever, choose any color depth, and "OK" your way out. Now reboot. This should have resolved the screwy video for you. Now get back into the driver properties and go back to Settings. Choose the Adapter tab and click on the button at the bottom labeled "List All Modes." Choose the best mode for your display-probably something like "1440 X 900, True Color, default refresh rate" (I'm looking at it in Parallels using the Parallels driver, so your specific details may be different). Depending on your settings, you may need to restart to see the result.

Yes, it's WAY more involved than it needs to be, but there it is. Fortunately, this process shouldn't take more than a few minutes and you'll either know whether it was indeed a screwy resolution setting or something else pretty quickly.

scaught  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2007, 08:36 PM

^ He mentions a second monitor, I would say to disconnect that while initializing/installing windows. Bringing that to the party right off the bat could be causing some problems.

Voch
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2007, 10:43 PM

I'm going through this too with my Rev A MacBook and a clean Leopard install. I'm not using an external display or USB keyboard (I use the built-in ones). After the first reboot of the Window XP SP 2 installation I get a "Disk Error / Press any key to restart". Pressing keys on my MacBook results in nothing.

To get back, I have to unplug from AC power and remove the battery, and rebooting the machine again pressing the Option key and selecting my Mac OS X partition. I then use the Boot Camp Assistant to remove the partition and try again.

UPDATE: I've gotten it to work by having the Windows XP installer format the partition NTFS (*not* convert...actually format it). My Boot Camp partition is 48GB of my 160GB drive. Boot Camp makes it FAT32 but Windows doesn't like that (other operating systems can read/write >32GB FAT32 partitions). All seems well now.

Voch
( Last edited by Voch; Nov 3, 2007 at 11:52 PM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 4, 2007, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Voch View Post
UPDATE: I've gotten it to work by having the Windows XP installer format the partition NTFS (*not* convert...actually format it). My Boot Camp partition is 48GB of my 160GB drive. Boot Camp makes it FAT32 but Windows doesn't like that (other operating systems can read/write >32GB FAT32 partitions). All seems well now.

Voch
The formatting utility in the XP installer is built to go up to 32GB-it's a bit of legacy code from Win2K which someone in Redmond should be fired (from a big canon would be a good way) for using in XP. XP can reside on ANY SIZE disk or partition, but it's brain-damaged installer can't format it larger than 32GB. Dumb, Bill, very dumb. There are ways to get OS X to be able to write to NTFS partition, so that's not a big problem, it's just a stupid thing to have to use a particular format AND size to get XP happy with your system.

carterx
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2007, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Voch View Post
I'm going through this too with my Rev A MacBook and a clean Leopard install. I'm not using an external display or USB keyboard (I use the built-in ones). After the first reboot of the Window XP SP 2 installation I get a "Disk Error / Press any key to restart". Pressing keys on my MacBook results in nothing.

To get back, I have to unplug from AC power and remove the battery, and rebooting the machine again pressing the Option key and selecting my Mac OS X partition. I then use the Boot Camp Assistant to remove the partition and try again.

Voch

I was having this very issue with my BootCamp install with the "Disk Error Press any key to restart" but "by having the Windows XP installer format the partition NTFS (*not* convert...actually format it)" worked great and now it's installing XP without an issue.

Thanks

dtfreak05
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2007, 03:48 PM

I don't have any option to FORMAT to NTFS, only convert...

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 23, 2007, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by dtfreak05 View Post
I don't have any option to FORMAT to NTFS, only convert...
WELCOME! It sounds like this is a second or later attempt, and it got to the point that it started to format the partition before it crapped out. I'd fall back and start over. Use the Boot Camp Utility to "restore the startup disk to a single partition" and try again. With a very clean install disc, too.

dtfreak05
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2007, 11:19 PM

well, actually it was just a case of me being retarded. the option was right there. and i tried it, and that solved my problem! i now have a 100% working boot camp installtion. woo-hoo! so, to solve this problem, looks like you do have to format, not convert. hope this works for everyone else!

dysturb.net
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2008, 05:20 PM

had the exact same problems as described above...
simple solution: make bootcamp partition slightlz less than 32GB
this gives the option to format it in FAT format using the windows installer.
no problems since....

cheers!

joeyaudio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2008, 10:02 PM

So if I select 31gb, I can get around the problem?

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 11, 2008, 07:23 AM

Most likely, yes, a 31GB partition should work without any problems. But note that on my iMac I have Windows on a 48GB partition that never gave me any problems setting up; you may have something going on that using a smaller partition won't help.

joeyaudio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2008, 09:50 PM

I hear a slipstreamed CD made from XP PRO SP 2 will work, but I'm helping my daughter, who is doing the install at school. Needless to say, I can't do this long distance. Can she take it some computer tech in San Diego and have one made?

Cold Warrior
Mar 11, 2008, 09:59 PM

If she just wants to get Boot Camp working, and you have an SP2 disc, don't worry about trying to slipstream it for the latest updates. She can download them from MS.

If you're having disc errors, is she using a copy or the original SP2 CD?

joeyaudio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2008, 10:24 PM

She is using OEM full version of XP Pro SP 2.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 13, 2008, 08:29 AM

Even pressed discs can have problems, and Intel Macs have what I would term "sensitive" optical drives-they often have problems reading CDs with minor surface problems. The fix for this is (amazingly enough) burning a copy of the original disc. Seriously-I've fixed a number of pressed Windows discs that just wouldn't read by burning a copy to a CD-R. For those of you with both ethics and a conscience, this is making a backup of your legitimate disc and thus fully legal. (Of course you wouldn't share this copy any more than you would share the CD key that the original came with.)

The upside of all of this is that you can have this copy sitting by the computer for when you need to provide it due to XP's security system (you need to provide your disc when certain system files change so the machine can update its database of valid file signatures), while your original disc can be kept in a safe place. It's a cheap fix that takes very little time to do.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2008, 10:19 AM

Gee whiz, the terror problems with Windows never ends.

I'm so glad I orderd my iMac with Windows on Bootcamp partition preinstalled. Worked like a charm. I hope I'llneve rhave to go through the crap you guys were experiencing.

-t

joeyaudio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2008, 11:06 PM

I bit the bullet and had a Apple computer tech install it.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 16, 2008, 08:04 AM

I don't see these hassles as anything more than the typical "working with Windows" stuff. I've had far more problems installing Windows on commercially-made PCs than on those I've built myself. Installing Windows on my Macs has been almost trivial in comparison.

weebeast
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2008, 05:24 PM

per this article... Mac OS X 10.5, Boot Camp: Windows XP displays "Disk Error" message during initial setup
You have to RE-FORMAT the partition that Boot Camp created so the WINDOWS installer works properly.... Hmmm. Who wrote Boot Camp? And they wrote Boot Camp to PLAY with Windows right?
So when it doesn't play....? Ya' follow?
Any way, who cares. I'm not a platform nazi.
I just got my XP installation after hitting snags by FORMAT FAT32 (quick)
That way I can work with it in the Mac OS.

ding!

all the best

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 29, 2008, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by weebeast View Post
per this article... Mac OS X 10.5, Boot Camp: Windows XP displays "Disk Error" message during initial setup
You have to RE-FORMAT the partition that Boot Camp created so the WINDOWS installer works properly.... Hmmm. Who wrote Boot Camp? And they wrote Boot Camp to PLAY with Windows right?
So when it doesn't play....? Ya' follow?
Any way, who cares. I'm not a platform nazi.
I just got my XP installation after hitting snags by FORMAT FAT32 (quick)
That way I can work with it in the Mac OS.

ding!

all the best
I don't think you're appreciating the context of the Apple article. It says that if you try to install WITHOUT letting Boot Camp format the partition it created, THEN you have a problem. Since Boot Camp automatically creates the partition with the FAT32 format, I don't know how you can make that happen. As the BC documentation says, you still have to use the Windows Installer's format option to reformat the partition so that it's bootable. I really don't see the issue here, unless you don't follow the instructions.

Turias
Mac Elite
May 18, 2008, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I don't think you're appreciating the context of the Apple article. It says that if you try to install WITHOUT letting Boot Camp format the partition it created, THEN you have a problem. Since Boot Camp automatically creates the partition with the FAT32 format, I don't know how you can make that happen. As the BC documentation says, you still have to use the Windows Installer's format option to reformat the partition so that it's bootable. I really don't see the issue here, unless you don't follow the instructions.
I'm running into the same issue. The problem (at least for me) is that the Windows XP installer does not give me the option to format the partition. Once I select my C: drive (BOOTCAMP), it immediately jumps into the install. I'm not really sure what to do at this point except try to find another Windows XP SP2 CD.

ghporter
Administrator
May 18, 2008, 04:26 PM

Turias, I'd be interested to know what sort of XP disc you have. Is it an OEM of some sort, or is it a basic, off the shelf XP+SP2 disc? It sounds like it's been customized, because that's nowhere near normal XP installer behavior. It's part of the INSTALLER to ask you to select a partition and what format you want.

Turias
Mac Elite
May 18, 2008, 04:29 PM

It's a disk I got from work. We all have MSDN subscriptions and get a ton of CDs containing various versions of XP and other Microsoft software. So yeah, it's anything but a standard off-the-shelf CD.

I finally got this working with a different XP CD, but then while installing the drivers off of my 10.5 CD I get a ton of errors about files it can't find that it says should be on the XP SP2 CD.

Maybe I should just try Vista. This has been a nightmare.

OnTheKeys
Forum Regular
May 20, 2008, 02:13 PM

I had the same problem, then I reinstalled and formatted the partition as NTFS (Quick) and it worked. Make sure you don't select "Leave it the way it is" during the installation...

ghporter
Administrator
May 20, 2008, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Turias View Post
It's a disk I got from work. We all have MSDN subscriptions and get a ton of CDs containing various versions of XP and other Microsoft software. So yeah, it's anything but a standard off-the-shelf CD.

I finally got this working with a different XP CD, but then while installing the drivers off of my 10.5 CD I get a ton of errors about files it can't find that it says should be on the XP SP2 CD.

Maybe I should just try Vista. This has been a nightmare.
Those errors are from XP-SP2's data integrity system. If you change a system file, it needs to see the original from the install disc to ensure that you haven't goofed anything up. But it's up to you-not seeing those original files won't hurt anything at all.

I've tried to put a copy of the appropriate files (the i386 folder especially) on my XP partition and point the registry to it so that I won't get those annoying messages when I install anything, but I must have missed a setting or two because I still get 'em. They are no problem at all.

leonardojavaman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2008, 10:58 AM

friends

i try all ways to solve this problem, but all fails

so, what did i do?

i just DROP OUT my LEOPARD and install windows in full hd

no more leopard for me

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2008, 11:52 AM

I had the same problem many times. Reformatting the Boot Camp partition from FAT32 to NTFS did the trick right away.

burky79
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2008, 08:58 AM

Hello MacNN Forums!

New here and love the posts I've read so far, as they seem very helpful!

----

My hard/software :
Mac Mini / 1 GB DDR2 / 1.83GHz / 10.5.4

My issue :

I messed up with the first attempt at install by selecting the "do not change..." option. I know, my bad. Anyway, I got the same response as the OP : "Press any key to boot from CD. Disk Error. Press any key to restart". It did not recognize the Wireless KB I was using, so I restarted with a USB KB in... nothing. Rebooted (manually, of course) twice more, whilst holding down the "option" key. On the second time, I was able to select which drive/partition to boot to, yay me! I selected the AppleHD and promptly loaded Boot Camp Assistant... and deleted the 2 (I haven't figured that out yet...) Windows partitions.

Everything in that session went perfect... access to movies, music, internet, etc. Then I powered down for the night and this morning powered up to get the error "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key". So I repowered and held the option key down. Only had the Macintosh HD selectable, I click the "lil up arrow" and I am working fine in OSX. Powered off and on multiple times since hten... same thing.

At least OSX is working, but why is it still having boot problems, and what can I do to fix this?

I appreciate any help!

Thank you,
burky79

Jaydee53
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2008, 02:50 AM

You are trying to boot via the CD. Go into the OSX and "System Preferences"
Click on Startup Disk and select Macintosh HD. This should solve the problem

burky79
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2008, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jaydee53 View Post
You are trying to boot via the CD. Go into the OSX and "System Preferences"
Click on Startup Disk and select Macintosh HD. This should solve the problem
That got it. I didn't think that it would still be trying to select the disk drive to boot from, especially after I took away that partition.

Thanks for the tip!

macnewb101
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2008, 03:46 AM

I've been reading and trying to figure out what is going on with my computer. Some of the situations have some of my same issues, but i really don't know what's going on at all.

My mac friend had loaded the boot camp assistant and divided the partitions to where windows got 80 gb. I didn't have the Mac OSX disk with me to finish, so he said i could just wait, do all the install stuff at home based off the instructions online. I did that.

I got to the step where it said it would reboot and let me configure, and then I got a "Disk Read error", so I rebooted again. I called him, asked for a little help, but he doesn't know what I did. All I did was follow the instructions. I selected the Boot Camp Partition, and then I hit the Format to NFTS file (Quick) and that was it.

Now when I hit 'option' to boot into Mac OSX, I don't see it at all. All I see is the hard disk named windows, and whatever CD I have in it at the time. I tried to take out the Windows XP Professional install disk, and I inserted the Mac OSX to reboot that way, but now it wants me to install that all over again, and there is no destination file.

I feel like I'm going to fall apart because I haven't had this computer one week and I feel like I've already condemned it to death.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 15, 2008, 09:04 AM

macnewb101, welcome to the MacNN Forums! In your second reboot, you wound up formatting your OS X partition as NTFS and installing Windows there. You're going to need your OS X disc, and you're going to have to go through the whole installation sequence with OS X to get it back. Fortunately, this isn't anywhere near as onerous as it would be with Windows. Choose to format the entire hard drive and install OS X on it, and we'll get to getting Windows done right when you're up and running with OS X.

You haven't "condemned" your computer, just confused it.

macnewb101
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2008, 02:17 PM

Well that was part of the problem at first. When I do start to reinstall the OSX disk, I don't see any drives in the destination file to install on. I clicked and waited, but nothing was showing up. I'm going to try and wait longer, but what happens if nothing shows up? How long should I wait?

Maybe I should mention that I'm not sure if my Windows XP pro is up to par. And that this Macbook pro came with leopard already on it. I don't know if any of that matters so much, but I thought I might as well say.

UPDATE:: It's installing now. I had gone into Disk Utility, and Repaired the disk where I knew my Mac HD was, and I can see it now to choose for a destination. I'm slowly getting there. Now I'm just afraid of Boot Camp. Or maybe it's my Windows XP disk. Is there a way to tell if it's good? Or should I get a new one? Because the only one I can find to buy is a 64-bit, when Boot Camp specifically tells me to use only a 32-bit.
( Last edited by macnewb101; Aug 15, 2008 at 03:05 PM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 15, 2008, 03:47 PM

Determining if your XP disc is ok is sometimes a real problem. If it boots on someone else's PC, it's probably ok. But that only says whether it boots, not whether it will actually install. Further, Microsoft is woefully remiss in not telling you that you WILL see that "press any key to boot from the CD" message in the middle of the XP installation. It once confused the snot out of me and I spent A WHOLE DAY rebooting from that stupid CD instead of letting it restart into the "installation" boot image. Now it just annoys me that this situation still exists. It sounds like this was part of your problem originally. And your friend shouldn't have given you advice over the phone when he wasn't 100% clear on WHICH partition to select and 100% sure that you were selecting the right one.

macnewb101
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2008, 04:00 PM

All my friend did was divide the partitions. I didn't have the CDs when I was with him, so I went home and followed the manual for installing using Boot Camp. He didn't tell me anything over the phone. He just said "I'd have to know what you did"; no real instructions were said.

The first time it rebooted, I saw the "press any key to boot" message, but it timed out before I could figure out what that meant, so it went through, and then it said there was a "disk read error" and that i should hit "ctrl + alt + el to reboot" (It literally said "el", not "Del". There were actually a lot of weird symbols all over the screen), and at that point I had manually rebooted it.

Now it's finished installing, and I actually see my entire thing still back up and running. I was expecting it to wipe everything out, and it didn't :X
( Last edited by macnewb101; Aug 15, 2008 at 04:29 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules