Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Hyundai Genesis Coupe
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2008, 11:28 PM

A few days ago, Hyundai announced the Genesis coupe. It's rear wheel drive with a 300 horsepower V6. Pretty dang impressive. It's meant to be a Mustang killer, and I would definitely take it over a V6 Mustang as well as your average sports coupe. I love the styling. This could be the next big sales coupe, and it's from Korea.
Link with videos
Official Site

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2008, 11:43 PM

Shaped like a Nissan Altima coupe.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2008, 11:45 PM

Yes, in the back. Hyundai's never been very original, besides maybe the Tiburon/Tuscani, but this isn't too bad. And in my opinion, the Altima coupe isn't a bad looking car

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2008, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
It's meant to be a Mustang killer...
I would imagine that musclecars are a different niche market than a Japanese/Korean subcompact with a good engine.

I'd bet that this new Hyundai would be perfect for ricers, might even overtake Honda.

The only price-reasonable modern musclecar I'd consider over a Mustang is this badass mofo. You know where I'm goin'.

"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2008, 03:06 PM

Nice pic.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2008, 03:17 PM

Hyundai = lacking in mojo.

FAIL.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2008, 11:46 AM

RWD car with a turbocharged 300hp v6 for $25k? yeah, i don't see this selling that well.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2008, 12:55 PM

Yeah, it'll sell so well that your bank manager and his son and his wife and his daughter and their dentist and his son and his wife and his daughter and their hairdresser and her husband and so on and so on will all have one.

Styleless, identikit, mojoless turdmobile for people who iron their underpants. The guy in the forty-year-old Camaro will still get all the tail.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2008, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
The guy in the forty-year-old Camaro will still get all the tail.
Yeah, his mullet will be all a floppin' in the trailer.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2008, 06:20 PM

Yeah, it'll sell so well that your bank manager and his son and his wife and his daughter and their dentist and his son and his wife and his daughter and their hairdresser and her husband and so on and so on will all have one.

Styleless, identikit, mojoless turdmobile for people who iron their underpants. The guy in the forty-year-old Camaro will still get all the tail.
yeah yeah yeah, but think of all the mazdaspeed3, civic SI, WRX, Ralliart Lancer and GTI owners that all of a sudden have a car with much more performance potential (and tofu-deliverin' RWD) for the same money. not to mention that these younger buyers aren't old enough to remember that hyundais were horrible cars.

this car and the RWD sedan will do pretty well for hyundai. it's no mystery that there's no hyundai emblem on the hood of the sedan.

whoever said this was a mustang killer is a little slow- this car is throwing down the entry-level performance gauntlet for imports. other than the wrx and the ralliart lancer i named up there, everything else is FWD. you still want to tell me this car isn't significant?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2008, 06:52 PM

Camaro <snort> if we are talking about a car everyone has and is absolutely devoid of character then you might as well throw the bland Chevy abortion called Camaro in with them. Maybe trailer chicks still go for those, but around here it means you have more ego than taste...and they ain't that fast either.

I'd give you a point, Doofy, if you meant pre-80s Camaros, those were teh sex.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2008, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I'd give you a point, Doofy, if you meant pre-80s Camaros, those were teh sex.
The guy in the forty-year-old Camaro will still get all the tail.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2008, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n View Post
yeah yeah yeah, but think of all the mazdaspeed3, civic SI, WRX, Ralliart Lancer and GTI owners that all of a sudden have a car with much more performance potential (and tofu-deliverin' RWD) for the same money.
I'm not following you here. You're sayin' that this Hyundai will tempt the Lancer boys out of their rockets? I doubt it - a Lancer (especially a Ralliart one) will pretty much hammer everything else out there in a point-to-point, including V12 supercars. And that's all the Lancer boys care about - they don't worry about tail-slidey fun.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2008, 07:16 PM

I'm not following you here. You're sayin' that this Hyundai will tempt the Lancer boys out of their rockets? I doubt it - a Lancer (especially a Ralliart one) will pretty much hammer everything else out there in a point-to-point, including V12 supercars. And that's all the Lancer boys care about - they don't worry about tail-slidey fun.
lancer ralliart does not an evo make. at least not here in the states. it's the intermediate model positioned to take on the impreza wrx. they both have about 230HP and are only available in a sedans.

this thing has 300hp is a coupe and directs the power to the rear wheels. not to mention that it'll probably be cheaper than the wrx and lancers.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 25, 2008, 07:28 PM

Watching the end of the video is hilarious...the two drivers look like they're bored with their lives and would rather shoot themselves in the foot than do that again.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2008, 07:44 PM

lancer ralliart does not an evo make. at least not here in the states. it's the intermediate model positioned to take on the impreza wrx. they both have about 230HP and are only available in a sedans.

this thing has 300hp is a coupe and directs the power to the rear wheels. not to mention that it'll probably be cheaper than the wrx and lancers.
I guess you get the pansified Ralliart versions. We get the full fat versions with 340-400 BHP (example).

You can see why I wasn't quite following you, no?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 25, 2008, 07:47 PM

What you call the Ralliart, we call the EVO. Our Ralliart is little more than rims, badges, and the EVO's shifter.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2008, 07:48 PM

The US always gets pansy compact cars, just look at our Focus ST and Europe's Focus ST.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2008, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
What you call the Ralliart, we call the EVO.
To us, "Evo" is the model. "Ralliart" is the souped-up version of the model (like Shelby is a souped up Mustang). I don't think we get normal Lancers (i.e. ones which aren't Evos) - the model range starts at something like 280 BHP for the bog basic one.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2008, 08:21 PM

What you call the Ralliart, we call the EVO. Our Ralliart is little more than rims, badges, and the EVO's shifter.
the last generations of lancers this was true, not only were they NA, they were also fwd.

but this current generation, the one that provides us with the evo X will bring a lancer ralliart- with AWD and a turbo.

long story short, the v6 turbo model of the genesis should scrape $25k while the current iterations of the STI and the EVO are up around $35k.

nothing for $25k american will come close to this in a benchrace.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2008, 08:22 PM

There is no V6 turbo.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2008, 08:41 PM

There is no V6 turbo.
crap, do i have it backwards? either way, the more powerful one.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2008, 10:19 PM

Yeah, the 4 cylinder is a turbo, the V6 is normal aspiration. It's somewhat of a backwards concept.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2008, 10:47 PM

the last generations of lancers this was true, not only were they NA, they were also fwd.

but this current generation, the one that provides us with the evo X will bring a lancer ralliart- with AWD and a turbo.

long story short, the v6 turbo model of the genesis should scrape $25k while the current iterations of the STI and the EVO are up around $35k.

nothing for $25k american will come close to this in a benchrace.
The Mustang GT's MSRP is $26K and the Caliber SRT-4 is $22K. Neither is incredibly comparable, but I'd say that they both come close.

Yeah, the 4 cylinder is a turbo, the V6 is normal aspiration. It's somewhat of a backwards concept.
It works for the Mazda 6.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2008, 12:18 AM

The Mustang GT's MSRP is $26K and the Caliber SRT-4 is $22K. Neither is incredibly comparable, but I'd say that they both come close.

yeah, but the MS6 isn't your everyday mazda 6- it's AWD and way overpowered. i'd take the MS6 over the MS3 anyday.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2008, 12:24 AM

we all know the caliber is a lame excuse for that neon with a nice engine. but the genesis over the mustang is pretty simple-

you take 300hp and add to them a multi-link rear axle with and LSD (allegedly) over the solid axle open diff and you can't really say anything.

i get it, it's an hyundai, but goddamn if this car won't shake things up... i can't afford anything over $15k, but still, this car is significant for the whole performance import market.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2008, 12:40 AM

It's okay, Dan, some people will hate a car company for no reason until it becomes #1 in the world market

<cough> Toyota! </cough>

Hyundai used to suck balls in my eyes, but the last few model years of that namesake has impressed me with it's determination to produce excellent quality cars.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2008, 12:46 AM

It's okay, Dan, some people will hate a car company for no reason until it becomes #1 in the world market

<cough> Toyota! </cough>

Hyundai used to suck balls in my eyes, but the last few model years of that namesake has impressed me with it's determination to produce excellent quality cars.
i knew hyundai was for real when my seabee (america, F*ck yeah!) grandfather sold his grand marquis for a sonata, and hasn't been anything but happy that it was the first non-domestic he'd bought.

i don't know how they did it, but somewhere between MY2002 and MY2004 hyundai really got their Sh!t together.

this car will sell really well. LOL KOREAN CAR. LOL, watch the crap out.

Atomic Rooster
Mar 26, 2008, 12:53 AM

Pardon the expression but Hyundai sounds "gay".

...or like the sound of a two stroke moped.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2008, 12:58 AM

i knew hyundai was for real when my seabee (america, F*ck yeah!) grandfather sold his grand marquis for a sonata, and hasn't been anything but happy that it was the first non-domestic he'd bought.
lolz™ My grandfather (Naval Vet) got rid of a 1995 Grand Marquis in favor of the 2000 Toyota Rav4. He loves it. It burns a little oil at 175K but he hasn't put a cent into it, besides oil changes. He also loves the AWD in the snow and the gas mileage. 4cyl.Toyotas were scoffed at in the age of huge displacement American vehicles...look at them now.

i don't know how they did it, but somewhere between MY2002 and MY2004 hyundai really got their Sh!t together.

this car will sell really well. LOL KOREAN CAR. LOL, watch the crap out.
F**k, half of American cars are made in Mexico, domestic brands my ass.

Watch the crap out indeed.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2008, 02:48 AM

300 hp naturally aspirated V6 for 25k? Yes please. This car will sell very well. And it's really nice looking IMO. Might just have to trade in the '07 Si for one.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2008, 02:49 AM

Who would buy that piece of crap?

Atomic Rooster
Mar 26, 2008, 02:52 AM

Does it run on undigested corn kernels?

Or Guzzolene.

Time to kill these toys.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2008, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
I know one person...
no, not me.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2008, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
alright, i give up on this thread.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2008, 10:09 AM

Only somewhat. The engine has way too much power for the chassis.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2008, 10:16 AM

<cough> Toyota! </cough>

Meh, I hate Toyotas. They know how to make a passionless car very well. There are only two Toyotas that I would drive nowadays, and that's the Tacoma and the FJ, only because they retain some sort of character. Look at the new Corolla. It looks just like a Civic. Or the Camry. Looks like a mix between a Holden and a Falcon. Of course, people will still buy them because they are probably the most reliable vehicles around.

I agree that Hyundai used to suck. I never would have seen myself in one, until the Tiburon GT and SE V6 came out. The Genesis family shows that Hyundai is a very relevant brand, and now the big 4 should be worried.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2008, 10:20 AM

I gotta be honest, I can't get past the Hyundai name or image. The Tiburon is one of the few current coupes I like, too.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 26, 2008, 11:51 AM

Mustang GT > Genesis. Nice try Phil Collins.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2008, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by TheWOAT View Post

Mustang GT? Pleh. It's a 14 sec 1/4 mile car which is fast but nothing spectacular. And most of that time comes from a high torque fast launch. From a rolling start the GT is nothing special at all and lags behind just about every other 300hp car in it's class. We'll see the quart times of the Genesis soon, and I'm sure it will be at least a 14 with the V6. I'd wild guess it at around 13.5.

If you like dumping a gallon of fuel for super awesome mini van smoking red light to red light mega races then I guess the GT is your car. Good luck with it after about 50k miles too.
( Last edited by greenamp; Mar 26, 2008 at 01:55 PM. )

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 26, 2008, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by greenamp View Post
Mustang GT? Pleh. It's a 14 sec 1/4 mile car which is fast but nothing spectacular. And most of that time comes from a high torque fast launch. From a rolling start the GT is nothing special at all and lags behind just about every other 300hp car in it's class. We'll see the quart times of the Genesis soon, and I'm sure it will be at least a 14 with the V6. I'd wild guess it at around 13.5.

If you like dumping a gallon of fuel for super awesome mini van smoking red light to red light mega races then I guess the GT is your car. Good luck with it after about 50k miles too.
I believe the Mustang Gt runs a 13.5 quarter mile. And since when was low end torque a bad thing? Have you ever driven a GT?
And once again, Mustang GT >>> Genesis.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2008, 05:20 PM

Notice I said V6 Mustang. Nice try John Kerry.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 26, 2008, 05:40 PM

Notice I said V6 Mustang. Nice try John Kerry.
I voted for the Genesis before I voted against it.

The V6 Stang is less than 20,000. I dont see how the Genesis would compete with it, since its 5,000 more. IMO, its going after the Mustang GT and Nissan 350Z.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2008, 09:28 PM

Yeah, I suppose so. It has too much performance for a V6 Mustang, but I think the 4 cylinder turbo is pretty similar to the V6 'stang. The 350Z however, is really quite similar. Hopefully the Genesis will have a bit more in the way of creature comforts and ride quality though, which it should.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2008, 12:29 AM

I believe the Mustang Gt runs a 13.5 quarter mile. And since when was low end torque a bad thing? Have you ever driven a GT?
And once again, Mustang GT >>> Genesis.
Stock GTs do not run a 13.5 quarter. They run a 14ish with a good driver. (Yes, I have driven one.)

I think drag bench times are retarded though in all honesty. It doesn't really tell you what kinda car you are getting. Hell, I've seen supercharged Chevy Trailblazers putting up mid 12s and low 13s. A better bench mark IMO is one like they do on Top Gear: run it through a slalom course.
( Last edited by greenamp; Mar 27, 2008 at 12:43 AM. )

greenamp
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2008, 12:31 AM

The V6 Mustang needn't even be mentioned here. My wife's Civic Si can beat those things.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 27, 2008, 12:54 AM

The V6 Mustang needn't even be mentioned here. My wife's Civic Si can beat those things.
Yup, all that extra weight, but the Mustang V6 is fast for being under 20k.. anyways, it is what it is.

Ive never driven a GT on a track, but from other forums, guys were getting below 14. The 13.5 number was from motortrend... which probably means its false... but Ive seen them get close.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2008, 06:49 PM

Stock GTs do not run a 13.5 quarter. They run a 14ish with a good driver. (Yes, I have driven one.)
And your butt provides a numeric readout of performance? This site lists the 2005 as running a 5.1/13.8 and Motor Trend recorded a 5.1/13.5. But hey, you've driven one, so what do all of those numbers mean anyway?

I think drag bench times are retarded though in all honesty. It doesn't really tell you what kinda car you are getting. Hell, I've seen supercharged Chevy Trailblazers putting up mid 12s and low 13s. A better bench mark IMO is one like they do on Top Gear: run it through a slalom course.
It all depends on what you want in a car. If your thing is having some fun from stoplight to stoplight then "drag bench times" wouldn't be "retarded."
( Last edited by Laminar; Mar 27, 2008 at 10:13 PM. Reason: grammar)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2008, 06:55 PM

Just out curiosity, Laminar, what does your car pull in the 1/4 mile? I could look it up but I don't know it's exact specs and whatnot.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2008, 07:19 PM

I haven't had a chance to take it to a drag strip yet, but my guess is between 14.5-14.8. It's a 3000lb car putting 193 dyno tested whp (about 220-230 at the crank, depending on your choice of drivetrain loss factor). This calculator puts it at a 14.5 but Contours are notorious for sucking at getting grip so I'd say that's an optimistic estimate, even with my new LSD. For the record, I stayed right with a modded (exhaust and cam) 5.0 Mustang to 130, and they're supposed to run a 14.8 stock.

Forum Links
Forum Rules